It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Will Sign GIVE ACT Into Law Today!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Prepare yourselves for the pomp and circumstance today! Barry and Michelle will be living out their dreams today because they have dedicated their entire lives to community organizing and now they wish to impose this $5 billion dream on our nation. It all seems so innocent. Just in time for Summer service crews. Perhaps they can start by rebuilding the rust belt from Detroit to Youngstown.

This is just the first step folks. Now Keep your eyes on HR 1444 which "studies" the feasibility of mandatory service programs. I don't anticipate any pomp when they sign this one into law because it was removed from the original version of the HR 1388. This will sneak through the back door while the nation is focused on the next distraction.

www.govtrack.us...

[edit on 21-4-2009 by jibeho]

+17 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Citizen ... do not fear the red boot that is pushing upon the back of your neck. Embrace it. Citizen ... live for the state. Kiss that red boot ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86a3e295d5c6.jpg[/atsimg]

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The whole thing sits wrong with me but the section that stands out the most is:

(8) The means to develop awareness of national service and volunteer opportunities at a young age by creating, expanding, and promoting service options for primary and secondary school students and by raising awareness of existing incentives.

They are talking about elementary and middle school aged kids. I really don't want some government lackey in my sons kindergarten class telling him to go out and do his "civic duty". It's bad enough his teacher was telling him that one politician was "the coolest" while talking bad about the other during the elections, thus effectively convincing him that her choice for president was the right one. Now I have to worry about this too? This is no better than indoctrination of impressionable young children.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Here is the final version of HR 1388 as agreed to by both the House and Senate. I have yet to comb through it seeing as how there are 5 previous versions of this bill. Who knows what will fall through the cracks. I did notice what appeared to be more detail regarding our nations "55 and older" population. Obama has a plan for you folks. I suppose a stipend will have to suffice when Social Security Fund goes bust.

thomas.loc.gov...:6:./temp/~c111NfUCk2::

The Thomas link gets funky so you may have to do a direct search by entering HR 1388 manually.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well, there is now an article about HR 1388 on yahoo.

National service bill to get Obama's signature today

Congress passed the bill last month with largely bipartisan support and Obama is seeking $1.1 billion to fund it next year. Some Republicans complain it is too costly and is an unnecessary intrusion by government into something Americans already do eagerly and in great numbers — helping their neighbors and communities.

One of the few times I side with the Republicans on something.

They also have a spiffy website going for it, and one for the kids too.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I've been following this bill since its inception and I have never seen those "fun" websites before. They make it look like Summer Camp. Funny though, I didn't see any pictures or drawings of the uniforms that these "volunteers" will be wearing.

Oh this issue pisses me off! I have two young children and I will tolerate this for their future.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
ya know, for once im actually going to have to agree with you.

I started looking into this a while back and found this:

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Source

I've pretty much drawn two possible outcomes if such a bill were passed into law:

People go quietly into the night
Or Civil War II

Personally, i don't want either.
I'd just move to another country and watch this one tear its self apart.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It appears to me that the Government is going to do what many parents will not do for their children. You know, teach them how to help each other. I don't think it should be mandatory. I think it should be by choice or as a incentive for young people wanting to go to college but need funds. I was under the impression that's the way the Bill was supposed to read!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
so it's basically 1 a draft, 2 a form of slavery

i haven't read the whole bill, i have to get to it though

this is one of those things that people should want to do on there own, i don't need the president to tell me what to do when to do it and how, i do way way way more then enough as it is...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Oh yes, because instilling a sense of civic duty is oh so bad for a children. [sarcasm]

You can't have it both ways; people complain and complain and complain about selfish, lazy children. Fat inactive children with no sense of respect for themselves, others and their community. They complain about the schools for doing too little.

What would you rather have them learn? What harm is a few hours a year spent learning to care about the people and society around you?

We sit here on these boards and complain about how indifferent and uncaring people are, how uninvolved people are and uninformed. How disconnected and apathic. What better way to solve this problem than to encourage volunteerism, and to foster civil service?

Sure, 'required' service erks everyone. But I haven't read anything that sounds like some unreasonable manditory service. One hour a week for school children? And I havent' read anything about adults; they seem to be taking the tack, rather, to offer something in exchange in order to encourage the volunteerism.

And this bill? HR 1444? It's only organizing a commission to gather data and find out what sorts of things would work, and be acceptable.

+18 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
Oh yes, because instilling a sense of civic duty is oh so bad for a children. [sarcasm]

Slavery to the state isn't instilling a 'sense of civic duty', it's just slavery to the state.

something in exchange in order to encourage the volunteerism.

Then that's not volunteering, is it?
That's getting paid to 'volunteer'.
And this isn't volunteering anyways.
It's facism. It's the start of the slippery slope of slavery to the state.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
No big surprise....whenever the government is involved whether it's labeled "voluntary" or "mandatory"...it's still going to be what the government expects you to do, not what YOU choose to do out of the goodness of your heart.

You can bet the "suggested" hour a week will most definitely be increased once the Amerikan public is fully suckered in! On the sites posted above under Senior Volunteers, one is supposed to get the feeling of pride and accomplishment as surrogate grandparents and "buddies" to other seniors?

That's it??? Looks like when you are over 55, you're not good for much in the eyes of the Government! Might as well tell the"old" folks to check out PIDGIN PARK and await the "happy gas".

Old adage, help given for personal gain is no help at all. And working for free is outright slavery, no matter how you choose to dress it up!

~Holly

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I disagree. In fact, I find it hard to understand how teaching children to be involved with their community by actually having them work within the community, can be labeled slavery. When I was in high school, we worked with the park and reclaimation department for FFA. My girl scout group picked up trash. As a member of Job's Daughters we read to the elderly. Sure, I suppose on some level you can say it was 'voluntary' since I didn't have to belong to any of these groups. But if I were in grade school and once a week, for an hour, we worked within the community somehow, I cannot imagine I would feel any differently about it.

As for your second point; how is that not volunteering? While the literal definition can imply a measure of alturism, it isn't defining. Key word: Voluntary meaning willing. Incentives only make someone more willing.

Fascism is the most overused and misunderstood word of our times. I think it's gotten to the point where it doesn't even mean anything. I know you are using it to imply an Authoritarian government hand or using it as an insult because it's implicative of the use of the word 'nationalism' because the topic is about civil service, but I really don't think that civic duty and fascism go hand and hand.

Even the arguement in regard to the mandatory part; there are many parts of being a citizen of a country that require mandatory action. From getting a drivers license to filing for taxes, our lives are full of such things and it's part of the price for living in a society. One could even argue that as members of society, we have certain obligations to help each other. What's that called again? Oh right - civic duty.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A governmental body telling the people who employ them-
what they MUST do - or else? Or what? Prison?
What happens if someone chooses not to send their child to be part of a
this incentive based mandatory volunteerism?
Is this democracy?

Shouldn't we ALL be voting on this?
Shouldn't we ALL be made aware of the consequences of such a bill - and
how it might affect us if we don't do what we are expected to do?
Can you imagine how many people don't even know such a bill is being passed?

I'm just saying -
The intention might even be a good one -
but the implementation and execution of this is way off base -

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

You know why they are doing it to school children, because parents die. And the next generation will be used to having to do what ever Big Brother tells them to do. No questions asked this is what you do or else. If this is completely done by volunteers then know it isn’t a bad thing but if they are forced to volunteer then refer to what I said in the beginning of my post.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette

And this bill? HR 1444? It's only organizing a commission to gather data and find out what sorts of things would work, and be acceptable.

Then take the bill to the people.
Let them have a say - and a vote -
because they are the ones who it will affect.
Give people the option - to help.
Make sure that there are no consequences and
remove mandatory from the wordage.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

The act of teaching a child about responsibility and civic duty belongs in the home and should be led by the children's parents and family. My kids will learn by the examples set forth by me and my wife as well as the examples of our friends, family and church.

Our govt. has no business being involved in this arena. Our country is already full of charitable groups and civic organizations that need volunteers for their own existence. What impact will Obama's little plan have on these groups when all of their volunteers are whisked away by the government.

I suppose these groups will have to apply for volunteer support from the the PTB within this new civil service "Corporation". This will result in more red tape and bureaucracy from the ever swelling head of the Federal Govt. Basically, we will have a nationalization of civic groups and charities. Obama promised job creation... Well, here you go..

Just some tid bits. Far too many to list.

‘SEC. 132A. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND INELIGIBLE ORGANIZATIONS.

(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted to religious instruction or worship, or engaging in any form of proselytization, consistent with section 132.

‘PART I--PROGRAMS FOR ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS ‘SEC. 111. PURPOSE. ‘The purpose of this part is to promote service-learning as a strategy to-- ‘(1) support high-quality service-learning projects that engage students in meeting community needs with demonstrable results, while enhancing students’ academic and civic learning; and ‘(2) support efforts to build institutional capacity, including the training of educators, and to strengthen the service infrastructure to expand service opportunities.

How about this, the targeting of under performing schools to seek out "volunteers".

(F) establishing effective outreach and dissemination of information to ensure the broadest possible participation of schools throughout the State, throughout the territory, or serving the Indian tribe involved with particular attention to schools not making adequate yearly progress for two or more consecutive years under section 1111 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 6301 et seq.);

They will be targeting Disadvantaged Youth for National Service:
First they Define Disadvantaged Youth. Apparently, you are disadvantaged if you have a disability or if you lack proficient English Skills.

(36) DISADVANTAGED YOUTH- The term `disadvantaged youth' includes those youth who are economically disadvantaged and 1 or more of the following:
`(A) Who are out-of-school youth, including out-of-school youth who are unemployed.
`(B) Who are in or aging out of foster care.
`(C) Who have limited English proficiency.
`(D) Who are homeless or who have run away from home.
`(E) Who are at-risk to leave secondary school without a diploma.
`(F) Who are former juvenile offenders or at risk of delinquency.
`(G) Who are individuals with disabilities.

SEC. 1313. SELECTION OF NATIONAL SERVICE PARTICIPANTS. Section 138 (42 U.S.C. 12592) is amended--
(1) in subsection (a), by striking ‘conducted by the State’ and all that follows through ‘or other entity’ and inserting ‘conducted by the entity’; and (2) in subsection (e)(2)(C), by inserting before the semicolon at the end the following: ‘, particularly those who were considered, at the time of their service, disadvantaged youth’.

www.govtrack.us...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I only agree with one thing in that. Take all the drop outs and juvenile offenders you want. This could be good for that purpose. Stay in school are go here. Get in trouble with the law go here. That is the only part that sounds good to me.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

I see where you are coming from however, I don't know if I want some teen gang bangers "reading" to my wife's 93 year old grandmother in the nursing home. Perhaps they will just have these kids working on the crews that will rebuild our nation's ailing infrastructure.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PammyK

Thats kind of the point, you see this administration has a strong history of hedging its bet that most of the American people wont look into these kind of things and research it. They are betting that most people will just be sheep and go along with ANYTHING he says will be great for the country. The problem is, people liberal and conservative, democrat and republican, are getting weary and starting to look into more of these programs and bills that hes passing, and finding out, that underneath all that sugar, is strychnine.

Im not bashing anyone here, actually what i WOULD like is for people to follow suit, and really really read these things that are going on , and the bills trying to get passed. They may look sweet and innocent, and some of them MAYBE even are very little..........but its the implications of such things being done that have shockwave effect. Sometimes tiny things that seem like they arent much are just a doorway to something much more scary.

Please people, be active, wake up.......please stop trying to defend, abandon your party lines, quit trying to save face......

For the love of America, and the love of your children and their futures stand up and become aware, this land belonged to the people once, and it can again.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join