It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspots, where have they gone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Sunspots, where have they gone?

www.examiner.com

Currently, we are experiencing a deep solar minimum in the sunspot cycle. In fact, not one sunspot has been observed this month with the spotless day streak growing to 24 days straight. The current solar minimum is part of the pattern, and for the most part on time. I say for the most part because it seems many forecasts and scientific analogs pointed towards 2008 being the solar minimum with an increase in sunspot activity arising in 2009. The problem is the sunspot number continues to decrease in April of 2009.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
As I write this it is snowing in Michigan, it is 34 degrees in parts of Arizona and 57 degrees here in north Louisiana.

Something seems not right.

The Sun is not producing as much energy as we are used to. It has come down from a higher than average energy output to a lower than normal output. This means less sunspots, less solar activity and less energy reaching earth.

Where this could go no one is really sure but history tells us that we could end up experiencing a "little ice age" if things get worse. This means decades of little solar activity, sorry 2012 guys no solar flares for you.

Instead we could see other such fun as worldwide crop failures and mass famine. Yay.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

This means decades of little solar activity, sorry 2012 guys no solar flares for you

Kind of jumping the gun a little aren't we? The minimum was supposed to end 4 months ago, now you have it running out an additional 3 years? That seems to be just as presumptuous as anything else. Currently, there is a lot more data supporting a solar maximum in 2012 than there is a little ice age.

Either way, I don't think anyone knows what is going on. All we can do is wait and see at this point.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

All of it is theory and hypothesis, which is why I wish 2012 would hurry up get here already. That way I can stop hearing about it.

Historically deep solar minimums last quite some time this doesn't mean we won't have some massive solar flare in the future, its just very unlikley to happen in 2012.

One thing I really need to point out to the 2012 people is that proposed solar maximum date is a mathematical average by astronomers, meaning roughly anywhere from 2011 to 2014.

Add: The standard sunspot cycle would continue, I'm not saying the maximum will not occur. It has to occur. The sunspot cycle will not end. A deep minimum is not the same as a standard solar minimum.

During the Maunder minimum the cycle continued, its just during the solar maximum there were just a few sunspots. So the max was a few, the standard minimum was none. The Sun did this for decades.

Edit to include info about deep minimums

[edit on 21/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What I'm gussing is that the sun is going to explode into the next solar maximum with all the bundled up energy that is not coming now.

Thats why the say 2012 gonna be HORRIBLE !
Well, not Just 2012, but the years ahead.
Think if the EArth core get abit colder and the tectonic plates startes to get 'lagish',and we have earthquakes ontop of the solarflares.

It was on the radio news here in Norway today infact, wherethey said 'we had to get used to more frequent earthquake activity', so something Is coming. Maby it will get colder and colder until the Sun Kickstarts its late cycle and disaster is upon us all....

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If you follow the current theories about the sun then they cannot explain the missing "sun spots". However if you follow the electric universe model then it is all easily explained.

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So when the solar maximun occurs, how will the massive solar flares effect the planet? Will it just get extremely hot or what?

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Striker122]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Striker122

depends on how big will be the hole in the magnetosphere at that time,

and whether the energy is directed straight into the hole, or not; ie whether we are instantly grilled or spectator of amazing Borealis auroras

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Striker122

The main problem for us will be the potential to fry the entire electrical power grid; not to mention everything electronic -- no energy and nothing operated with electricity - banks, communications, water supply and on and on.

Worst case scenario for the developed world - disaster lasting many years before the grid can be rebuilt, for the undeveloped world - not much change, life as usual.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The calm before the storm? Maybe it's nothing. I mean really, how much do we truly know about the sun, other than what we've witnessed in the last couple hundred years of a star that is billions of years old?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
does this relate to the earths climate? many believe that global warming is caused by sun spot activity, so how can this be if there has been no sun spot activity? or is this cold spell due to no sun spot activity?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I personally blame the current administration and global warming to the lack of sunspots. I think it makes perfect sense. Clearly... the sun is racist and is allergic to CO2.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
[edit on 21-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There is currently a new sunspot forming and it appears to be from new cycle 24.Let's hope that is doesn't decay in the next 24-48 hours.
Here is the site:
spaceweather.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Currently, a bill is being rammed through Congress to provide a stimulus for this lack of solar activity. Once this bailout is approved at the taxpayers expense we can expect to usher in a new era of change and prosperity.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Mike, 34F degrees in Airizona? Where, Flagstaff?

Look, it's 55F now in DC...(Tuesday night). Forecast for the weekend? 86F.

The Sun doesn't turn on and off in a matter of a few years....else, we wouldn't be here for the last couple hundred thousand years (and the rest of the planet for a lot longer...)

Relax....I say, plan your Holiday party for December 21, 2012. Book a cruise....ring in the new year, 2013, in style!

Actually, the cruise idea is the best one. IF nothing happens, you're out a few thousand dollars. AND, you'll have a good time! Win-Win!

OR....one-in-a-million chance of total annihilation....well, you'll go out in style, and will have had a good time!! Win-Win again!!!

I mean, really....who would want to live in a post-apocalyptic World where there are no Ritz-Carltons????

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dee132423
There is currently a new sunspot forming and it appears to be from new cycle 24.Let's hope that is doesn't decay in the next 24-48 hours.
Here is the site:
spaceweather.com...

Its already going away. It hadn't even been up for 24 hours yet.

FADING SUNSPOT: New sunspot 1015 emerged yesterday to break a string of 25 consecutive spotless days. A new string of spotlessness is about to begin. Less than 24 hours after it appeared, the tiny sunspot is already fading away.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
due to the effects of magnetism via the magnetic cycle the "sun" is undergoing somewhat of a "sunny" period.

when the sun is exposed to more magnetism when the magnetic solar cycle increase the sunspots should return.

sunspots are the result of the magnetic cycle,where magnetism is strongly bound in "knots" it cause the sun to cool in that area and hence glow at a lesser rate.

but i hear the current sun spotless and magneticly cool period is unprecidented and unrivaled in history and should continue for some time yet.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Ahh...I figured it would,the last 4,at least have faded away within 24hrs.It has been confirmed that it was from new cycle 24.Although the prominence on the sun is uber awesome and an unusual looking one at that.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Interesting thread!

I am not at all interested in global warming
however I am interested in global cooling

forget feeling cold
how will this affect food?

Less summer means less vegetables and fruits.

Im sure it also umbrellas other food items as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join