It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walkout at UN conference after Iran president calls Israel 'racist'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

www.rinf.com

Around 20 delegates, including envoys from the UK, France, and Finland stood up and left the room at what was considered an anti-Semitic remark by the Iranian leader, who has repeatedly called for Israel to be wiped off the map.

Nine Western countries including Israel and the United States had already decided to boycott the conference entirely because its draft declaration endorsed the conclusions of an anti-racism conference in South Africa eight years ago in which Islamic nations pushed through a text equating Zionism with racism.

Even before the walkout, Mr Ahmadinejad's speech had been interrupted by three protesters dressed as clowns who where quickly bundled from the vast conference room at the Palais des Nations by guards.

Later, other protesters shouted down from the balcony as the Iranian president carried on his address.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The US and allies encourage freedom of speech? Did we see it? The Iranain leader has the freedom to say what he intends to say. Walkout shows that the US and it's allies do not want to hear both the sides of a coin.

Iran may not be the "favorite" of the US, but is not a pariah internationally and with Israel threatening to bomb it, everyday, Iran has to get the chance of addressing the world forum and engage in a dialouge with the audience.

www.rinf.com

[edit on 21-4-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
this is a better link. This has a video of the walkout

Conference Walkout

A racist label is not new and Iran also is accused of so may things, not that I am pro-Iran, but the walkout was "racist" according to me by the 20 delegates

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

www.rinf.com

Around 20 delegates, including envoys from the UK, France, and Finland stood up and left the room at what was considered an anti-Semitic remark by the Iranian leader, who has repeatedly called for Israel to be wiped off the map....

Actually, he has NEVER "called for Israel to be wiped off the map." Nor has he even STATED that "Israel will eventually be wiped off the map" (which was how his original comments were first reported. The media has gone from saying he once predicted something to now saying he has repeatedly called for that thing...quite an astounding and utterly unfounded leap. The leap is even more unfounded considering that they mis-translated his original comments. He never, ever used the expressions "wiped off" or "map." What he actually did say was something closer to a prediciton that one day the Israeli REGIME (note: not the people or the territory) would "disappear from history."

This is a flagrant and totally irresponsible mis-representation of the original statement, but I've come to expect no better from the MSM, of course.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Why do you feel the need to blame the US, the Us didn't deny him his free speech, the US did not attend ?

By not attending they did not deny anyone their free speech they just chose not to listen. Just as he has his right to speek freely, others have the right not to listen.

Btw this is already being discussed here www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4/21/2009 by chise61]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Why do you feel the need to blame the US, the Us didn't deny him his free speech, the US did not attend ?

I am not blaming US. I think the behavior of the delegates who walked out is not polite and diplomatic and that their attitude smells of racism and non-tolerance for what others, especially Iran and other countries who are not on good terms with US and it's allies, want to speak on forums like this is, is what the world has to take note of.

If the same delegates were making a speech and if some delegates from unfriendly countries had walked out then these very people would have accused them as being intolerant.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I hear you.

It's because of the Medias blatant repetitive use of that horribly mis-translated speech that I'm constantly finding people using the "wipe Israel off the map" garbage.

I'm all for hearing a good argument, but when the only argument they've got is a quote that was never said... it just becomes annoying.

Unfortunately, it's harder to stop a lie than it is to start one.
NYTimes should be ashamed!

As for people walking out in the UN... Ahmadinejad should have known better really.
He knew what he was saying wouldn't be received well, it would have been better strategy to tone it down some. When you're speaking publicly, you have to restrain yourself from letting your personal opinions drive you.

However, on the other foot, Israel REALLY needs to stop hiding behind the "anti-Semitic accusation curtain". It's getting old, and I'm starting to get a bad taste for Israelis because of it.

Never did like people who play the victim card, shows weakness.

Every nation needs to be held accountable for it's actions, EVERY nation. Unfortunately every time anyone tries to bring up Israels actions they're accused of being an anti-Semite, racist, or any number of other names.

Israel isn't a religion. Israel isn't a race.

Israel is a Nation, and anything they may be guilty of, regardless of how big or small, they need to answer for just like the rest of us.

You want undeclared WMD's? You know darn well where they are.
You want guilt against the UN? They phosphor bombed the UNRWA headquarters in Gaza City.

So rather than playing spin the globe with a bomb for a finger trying to find WMD's your intelligence says probably aren't there, just have your inspectors stop by Israel.

This time they won't come out shrugging.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

The US and allies encourage freedom of speech? Did we see it? The Iranain leader has the freedom to say what he intends to say. Walkout shows that the US and it's allies do not want to hear both the sides of a coin.

Right here you say that the walkout shows something about the US, which it does not because they did not attend. You can be upset with those that walked out, but not with those that did not attend. America is not responsible for the actions of it's allies.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I guess it's not possible that Mr A is desperate to get attention in the Muslim world by repeatedly making veiled threats to Israel and implicitly Jews around the world. They might join up with him after hearing his impassioned speeches on a subject of mutual interest.

Does anyone really buy that his couched language invective mean anything else and they are always mistranslated. Was he really saying "Peace and Brotherhood to all mankind?"

His apologists are already furiously typing away explaining he is just 'misunderstood'

An election is coming up, and Mr A is the star candidate. The economy is collapsing. The Imams themselves find the guy an embarrassment.
No real opposition is allowed to run. Tens of millions of ordinary Iranians don't quite understand why their elected leader wants their country to be a pariah state.

But dealing with things like education, health, and welfare of ordinary people is not as much fun as being the personal spearhead for Allah in the return of Iran to it's destined glory. Step 1 is elimination of the Jews, Step 2 the Christians. He doesn't even pretend anything else.

And this guy is the opening speaker at a conference where the theme is anti-racism.

Is it any wonder the rest of the world just looks at who speaks for Iran and shakes it's head?

Mike

[edit on 26-4-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Everytime Iran opens its mouth some journalist makes them out to be satan. Tired of the lying BS Iran didnt say what they are saying it said. You can find youtube clips with the news article and it will take you back to the speech the article refers to and you can see its a lie. Israel wants to attack Iran so Israel is pushing for people to lie against Iran.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think name calling is juvenile and is only enacted when people can no longer express themselves intelligently and get their point across.

I would've walked out too. And you can bet that if Iran were being called racists at a UN conference, they would walk out too.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
From speaking to a lot of Iranians who have recently left their country with some sadness, I get the impression that few are happy with the present situation.

My strong sense is the regime is quietly cognizant of the ultimate failure of their Islamic Revolution. They are hypersensitive to criticism.

We see this in their nuclear race. Countries working on atomic weapons characteristically are very silent on their progress. Iran gives weekly updates.

Much of the posturing and rhetoric feels like someone very insecure constantly seeking feedback to reassure themselves of their own credibility.

The country's failure to address critical domestic concerns like health, welfare, education, modernization - becomes increasingly apparent to the largely youthful population who feel hijacked by a revolution they didn't ask for.

Further international isolation and alienation is not what anyone really wants in Iran.

Were there a real alternative offered to the people, they would seize it.

Mike

new topics

top topics

join