It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of us Have Died?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
When you stop and think about it we have thousands of members, some who post almost daily and others almost yearly. Now with that many people arent the chances high enough that some of us have died without the board ever knowing it? That goes for the internet as a whole too. If you die how does anyone ever know your gone? If an ATS member were to die suddenly, (Im not suicidal), how would we know the difference between him just not posting and dying. Has this happened before or has anyone been on a board where it has?

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Usually nobody notices, but on other forums I have seen cases where friends or family notified the people on the board. They either had access to the account of the dead member or made their own accounts. The problem is that most family or friends don't know what forums someone visits.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Everyone thought Simon died once...

Read all about it! Coming mid-June!

DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Its a sad fact and a thought provoking queston,

We almost will never know unless others no each other,

We have had something simular happen here ...where a member had someone come on under his name and say that he had died in a BBQ accident.
Truth was found that this member knew nothing about it..and when retured was rather annoyed that someone got hold of his user name ect and said this..

So again we never really know,

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It's an interesting question, and it's really too bad if that happens, which I'm sure it does quite often.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I've had friends i've spoken to off and on for years online and then suddenly they dissapear. Making me wonder what really happened to them...

Who knows they could have had a terrible accident... or someone murdered them... just goes to show you can't be judgemental and say OH he's a flake or she doesn't want to talk to me anymore...

Of course, maybe they just lose interest in the friendship..

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Makes me wonder, out of the thousands here, and the millions watching on tv, who has fake their internet death?

Out of all these people surely there are some.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I was recently thinking about the same thing, How would the community know?

This could be an idea for member services, we could leave last will and testaments or either last minute instructions in the event of our demise.Or say, if we are gone off the board over 30 days...someone could inquire.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
I was recently thinking about the same thing, How would the community know?

This could be an idea for member services, we could leave last will and testaments or either last minute instructions in the event of our demise.Or say, if we are gone off the board over 30 days...someone could inquire.

Ive never said it but Id want someone to try my AIM Sn if I went quiet for weeks or months just because Id want the word to get out that I died.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Its a sad fact and a thought provoking queston,

We almost will never know unless others no each other,

We have had something simular happen here ...where a member had someone come on under his name and say that he had died in a BBQ accident.
Truth was found that this member knew nothing about it..and when retured was rather annoyed that someone got hold of his user name ect and said this..

So again we never really know,

ya I remember that :/ stupid brothers

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If I died, Im suremy wife would make a post or send a U2U to a Mod. I talk about this place to much.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
...who has fake their internet death?

Out of all these people surely there are some.

At keratin.com, a hairloss site, a troll faked his own suicide

I'd like to think someone near and dear to us would post here to let everyone know.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Hey Asala do you think you could run the idea past SO or Simon about some sort of forum or service that would allow us to let like this keep from happening?

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
hah, I have thought about this too...it would be funny to take a break from ATS for a while, and then come back to find people saying that you have died. I have been on a few other boards where there were announcements of members dying...actually over at fitnessgeared.com the owner/founder of the site died of a drug overdose and it was a really big deal...but really the only way to know for sure is if members make real life contacts with other members, such as talk on the phone or something...then occasionally a friend or family member will come on the account and say that this person died...maybe we should start up a team to make sure members aren't dying off. lol

This reminds me, what ever happened to MA?

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You guys, this is like TOO totally morbid for words !!!

I have to wonder what even made you think of such a thing, Agent 47

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
You guys, this is like TOO totally morbid for words !!!

I have to wonder what even made you think of such a thing, Agent 47

Its something Ive thought about for a while. The internet is huge, so huge that no one is really missed if they dissappear. That doesnt mean no one will notice their absence. If someone dies who is an active or even inactive community member I think we at least should be able to give them a goodbye.

Once again, I will ask any mod reading to consider some sort of service or thread where we can leave contact numbers or something like that.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek

Banage. Sorry.

I agree though, a team should be made. An A-TEam..........

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
That was quick!

Yes, I would have to agree with you at the end of the day. Even though the subject of death is one I tend to cringe away from.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

Banage. Sorry.

He wasn't banned, look up his profile.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

He wasn't banned, look up his profile.

Interesting. Maybe he did die.

I think we should look him up first for the Missing Members service if its created.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join