It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Theremim a future musical instrument recently introduced in 1919

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Now, this is a cool musical instrument, I think I'm gonna try to build one.

And a few links I found on Google I'm not the only want who think about building one of those ... I wonder if I can play the theme from ''Close encounters'' and call alien with this

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Terces Pot Evoba

But honestly, haven't you seen the original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still?

Nailed it right there. The theremim has been around for a LONG time. It's the instrument that makes your standard sci-fi movie "oooooweeeeeoooo" sounds back in the 50's and 60's ... much more than likely used earlier as well.

Amazing instrument, a friend of mine while in college for sound technologies built his own from scratch.

A lot of synthesizers, and keyboards now have an optical sensor which allows for 'playing' the keyboard in much the same way a theremim is played.

Cool stuff for sure!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The theremin is a simple radio device that came out of Russian research into proximity sensors, like the ones in late WW2 American artillery and AAA shells. It's not a particularly complicated device, and machines working on the same principles were around at the same time and earlier.

It's like claiming the metal detector is from the future.

If you pay attention to what is going on in a time period, you can generally track the development of various inventions.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MetatronCubensis
reply to post by keeb333

I think Trey's matterhorn guitar actually has multiple theramins inside the antlers? Insanely unique.

That makes sense...I saw him break it out at an Oysterhead show once, and it seemed like he was holding his hands near different parts of the antlers to produce different haunting tones.

At any rate, I've known about these things for years.

Theremin = sweetness!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join