It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Theremim a future musical instrument recently introduced in 1919

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If you haven't ever heard of the Theremeim chances are you are not alone. I recently heard if this fascinating instrument 2 weeks ago and I have been in band since junior high. I have asked my college music professor and he begrudgedly admitted he just recently heard of it but he seems to remember bits and pieces of it from "before".

It is my belief that "someone" from our future went back to 1919 within the last couple of months and introduced this instrument into our timeline. It is slowly sinking into our subculture and our minds are still creating memories of it.

Hurry, before it is too late ask someone (like a college music professor) that should have herd of this instrument if they know of it.

Dont be surprised to hear thast they just recently discovered it.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 20-4-2009 by Terces Pot Evoba]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Terces Pot Evoba

I'm an old guy. Trust me, the theramin has been around for a very long time. The Beach Boys wanted to use it in Good Vibrations but couldn't get their hands on one. They had to use a Tannerin.

Jimmy Page fiddled around with one in the '70's.

But honestly, haven't you seen the original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I just had to add this. I remember seeing this article when I was a kid. My parents wouldn't buy me the parts for some reason.
www.swtpc.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Theremin holds a distinction among all musical instruments ever invented: there is no physical contact between the player and the instrument, which makes it really difficult to control the pitch. (Orchestra conductors may get a headstart on that devise.
)

The instrument surely inspired the development of synthesizers via Robert Moog.

I wonder how the instrument sounded in its original form. The video demonstration delivers esoteric voice resembling echo bouncing off Mt. Kilimanjaro.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Sorry, to burst your bubble but the theramin's been around for years. There are even kits on the internet to make your own. It's kind of hard to believe that your music professor had never heard of it though. It's pretty well known that a theramin was used in Good Vibrations. I learned about it when I found out that Page used one in a couple of Zepellin songs. Since you don't actually touch anything while playing it, I imagine that it's rather difficult to replicate melodies from on performance to the next on a theramin; probably why you don't hear more about it. Also, I'm sure something very similar-sounding could be recreated on a synth and be much easier to play.

A bit off topic but I've always wanted a z tar Just too cheap to buy one..

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

My favorite use of that instrument

The best film made in the modern era, according to my film professor. I tend to agree...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Well, one thing is for sure OP.

The artificial memories have already penetrated the Internet and most of the people in this thread!

You better watch out before they take over your mind too!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Old, old instrument. Very spooky sound.

But I remember it was used in the 1956 movie"Forbidden Planet"

And we all remember "Robbie" the Robot, right!?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Messer Chups are just one of dozens of bands in the spy/space/surf genre that make extensive use of the theremin.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by underpassdweller]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
the theramin is very much real, and it has been used in rocknroll stuff to make psych sounds or whatever..... thats kind of rubbish and anyone with a brain can make a theremin sound cool. as far as i know, one person has mastered it fully. her name is Clara Rockmore, and she made many recordings. if you think the theremin sounds "spooky" or "trippy" or whatever you think it sounds, you need to check out her work, because she pretty much makes the thing sound more perfect than a violin, and more like a human voice than every other instrument, ever. if you think the theremin has alien origins, her recordings may not do much to talk you out of that.

here is youtube

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 21-4-2009 by iNTERPLANETARyR.O.M.E.O.]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The band Phish has been known to break one out on stage from time to time, as well....I remember a haunting rendition of Somewhere over the Rainbow being played on theremin to start a show once! They also did the Star Trek theme with it at least once....

And check this out:

www.walfredo.com...

While it doesn't say it in the article, the horns on the guitar somehow act like a theremin when this is being played (I've seen/heard it, it's amazing!).

At any rate, those artificial memories must REALLY be spreading fast!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
The artificial memories have already penetrated the Internet and most of the people in this thread!

Gosh, that's scary. Tell us more, then, go on.

How long ago did they start implanting these memories? Back in 1972? In a remote developing country far, far away from the USA? Because that's when I first remember hearing that the funny whooping noises in A Whole Lotta Love were made with a theremin.

A bit late, I know, but that's what comes of living in a remote developing country.

Of course, I might have had the false memory implanted later, during my sundry travels round the world.

Never been to America, though.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Radiohead used this instrument for their tour ''OK Computer'' about 12 years ago. I remember quite well the solo with this instrument. Very cool show.

Radiohead rocks !

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
exactly...funny how NOW everyone has a memory of this and that
but just a few short weeKs ago NOTHING!!!!

This is proof that our timeline can be manipulated and there will not be any butterfly effect.

THIS IS PROOF!!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
Well, one thing is for sure OP.

You better watch out before they take over your mind too!

It doesn't matter if your memory is artificial or not, as long as you can recall how to tune that thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Moog Fooger....theremim. I used to work for a music store. Trust me they have been around since 1919 along with the moog fooger used by organists and bassists.

You are right though, they are one of the coolest sounding things you could hear. Totally unique, but have nothing to do with time travel. They work off of magnetic resonance with a steel wand to increase or decrease the pitch.

Cool to post about it though.

Peace

P.S. I've known about this instrument since about 92.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Like other members have said already, the theremin has been around for a while. One of my favorite bands, The Pixies, used it in several of their songs. Here's one where you can clearly hear it:

www.youtube.com...

(I tried posting it directly but it wouldn't work. Go figure.)

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The Theremin was actually named after its inventor -

Leon Theremin

Here's the Messer Chups link - I couldn't get the embedded Youtube link to work :

Messer Chups - Difficult Love

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

I think Trey's matterhorn guitar actually has multiple theramins inside the antlers? Insanely unique.

Everybody needs to see the movie 'MOOG' about the late great genius Bob Moog, RIP. There are some of the most amazing theramin players and the synth stuff is awesome too!

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
There's also this documentary -

Theremin - an Electronic Odyssey

I seem to remember watching it several years ago....or did I?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join