It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the mafia engage in CRIME?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I was reading a thread on ATS about the Dixie Mafia. They kill people, grow drugs, steal things, etc. It got me wondering why the 'mafia' (yes I know the Dixie Mafia is nothing like the real Mafia) engages in criminal acts like gun trafficking, drugs, killing, etc. when they could engage in legitimate business practices, be profitable, and stay off the cops' radars.

Obviously the members of a mafia or gang are highly committed to each other and to the purpose of the group. If they stopped selling drugs and killing people, and started, say, a construction business, they could make lots of money, legally. It might get into a moral and ethical grey area, say if one member gives a lucrative contract to another, but it's hardly the same as contract killings, drug trafficking, etc.

Would this work? Do they do this already, but we only hear about the illegal stuff because the LEGAL stuff is even more on the 'down-low'? I'm describing something kind of like the 'good 'ol boys' club, but closer, more tightly knit and dedicated to a common goal. Seems to me if a group of people with diverse yet interdependent skills got together, they could wield major influence in a city if they really wanted to.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Organized crime is exactly that...organized.
Maffia types usually do run legit businesses but the fact of the matter is that crime pays alot more then a legit business.
The legit business is for paying taxes like everyone else and a good cover,the rest of the money is another matter.
Remember how they got Al Capone??Tax evasion.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Why do they engage in crime? Becuase they are human. Crime is profitable, profit means money and money means power. Power and greed, the two most persistant traits of humankind throughout history. It is easier to gain power and wealth through crime than it is via "legitimate" means, though you may very well find that "legitimate" means are often associated with crime at some point. Perhaps it is an unavoidable consiquence of greed.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by quackers]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ahh, good points.

I guess I just didn't know how much money you can make doing illegal things. (which is a good thing!)

Just seemed like they should stop doing it. Heh.

top topics

join