It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Ron Paul On Secession

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think RP brings up some very interesting points ... the videos only 4 minutes long so it's not gonna waste your time to watch it ... i liked his ending statements best ... in them he says that it(secession) is a very good matter to be discussing when the dollar crashes ... not if the dollar crashes, but when the dollar crashes!

What are your thoughts?

[edit on 20-4-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Anyone who calls secession treasonous is correct in basic principle, but fails to see the inherent purpose of secession.

When a government no longer does its job... When it causes more harm than good... When it berates its own people for disagreeing with it; What does one do?

Separate themselves from that government.

The question then becomes "When is Treason Heroism?", "When is a Terrorist a Freedom Fighter?"

[edit on 4/20/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Intriguing...
He seems pretty switched on (I'm from england, so not really up to speed with Ron Paul, I seem to hear snippets here and there), but I reckon he might have a point that when the dollar collapses, people may want to go it alone because they may see it as their government failing them and not being able to stop the avalanche.
I have taken flak from overly patriotic Texans on another thread when talking about Texas seceding, so I may keep a low profile...

Peace.

p.s, might want to change the thread title from 'succession' to 'secession'. Unless of course you're hinting at the NWO possible going to rise to the throne of the world
maybe...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think the founding fathers used secession as a back up to the event that the militia (against tyrannical gov) had become dissolved. In our present situation it has. The militia is now replaced with the national guard that now in fact fight overseas. At the same time now, active militia's are being targeted and branded as terrorist organizations.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
As much as I dislike my country at times, I have a very deep attachment to it. I cannot fathom seceding from it. Perhaps my feelings will be different in the future, though I sincerely hope it doesn't reach that point. I can, however, fully support overthrowing the government and rehabilitating our country. I suppose the point is that I would like to see the nation intact, rather than following a tangential path of a particular state or group of states. I'm surprised by how emotionally painful it is to consider this...it's a tough issue.

purehughness, I'm a Texan (though presently living elsewhere) and I know that we can be an aggressive lot, but don't let that curb your criticism of the issue
. It is ATS, after all.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by purehughness
p.s, might want to change the thread title from 'succession' to 'secession'. Unless of course you're hinting at the NWO possible going to rise to the throne of the world
maybe...

Whups! You must have changed it while I was typing... Still, a concept nonetheless!

@baseball101, your avatar breaks my heart...senseless... :'(

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, it was Hamilton who consistently argued the point that the constitution allowed patriots to revolt against the Federal Government, but that secession was an act of treason.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

No need for secession, the American people have already overthrown or threw out, at least, the worst run and malevolent government in this nation's history and we are currently in a period of rehabilitation, which is why it is costing so much, just to get us back to even.

So much of the normal, incremental funding and support for all of the essential programs, infrastructure, education and institutions this country holds dear, was neglected to the point of dissolution, "starving the beast", as it were, under the past administration's compassionate conservatism.

That is a hole from which we have to climb out, and into which conservatives have driven the country in order force default on entitlements and public services promised since the New Deal. They purposely made Government something to detest, the last eight years.

A government of the people should be for the people, not against itself.

Notice that the amount of the stimulus/recovery bill that passed recently was about as much in Clinton/Gore surplus dollars as the past administration and republican congress came into office with, in 2000.

That amount, nearly a trillion dollars, most of which was spent in 10 billion dollar a month increments on the Iraq war, could have been spent in this country and on our infrastructure, for our children and towards their future.

You will soon see how our newly elected President plans to spend his trillion in stimulus, and in desperate support of our failing middle class, their states and the environment as a whole.

So cheer up. Those who would rather work with the new President and in the current "re-habilitation" are welcome, one and all, and it will be to the whole country's benefit. In contrast, you might not be so welcome in one of those states currently enthralled with the idea of secession or you might become marked as the kind of person who needs re-habilitated.

new topics

top topics

join