It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss California gets everyones panties in a bunch!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm not pro or anti Gay marriage. I personally don't care. People can do and be whatever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with my lifestyle.

I give this woman credit for speaking what she believes and not the plastic answer the judges were looking for.

Since when did it become illegal to have a point of view? Isn't it discrimination that she didn't win because of her beliefs? She could so find a legal case if she wanted one.

Edit to add:

The Yahoo article states:

Miss USA judge Perez Hilton says that Miss California's answer to his question lost her the title.

Yahoo Frontpage Article

Regardless of what is politically correct these days, discrimination on the basis of belief system is still illegal. If she wanted to take this further, that comment by the judge would basically hand her the case.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I don't care about Miss America. She is nobody to me, but I am PLEASED this woman stood her ground by saying what she BELIEVED. I agree with her statement 100%.

The judge is a FOOL and a mere stool sample. The producers are laughable at most for allowing that stupid question which was obviously loaded to be asked...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
All you anti's might as well try and soak up the ocean with a towel...

Give it up already - the clock is ticking and your wasting your energy.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
ok and what was the crappy question that the other girl got???? if shes ok with bailouts... ohhh ok!!!! shows exactly that they planned this and knew who they would want to win and who to make look bad

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Slayer

Yes the idea of Miss America was to set an example, an ideal version of what a young, beautiful, virtuous woman was. Once upon a time it was required that she was still a virgin and is still a requirement that she have not nor have ever been married. My how times have changed. That an "ideal" representative of the whole should conform to be a spokesperson for an agenda.

Despite it all, the issue is an agenda. Agenda is a word that gets a negative connotation today, so would you prefer platform or position? Funny that the ideal quote on freedom of speech is the old "I may not agree with a word you say but I will fight to the death for your right to sat it." is subjugated and malformed to opinions of others must conform to an authoritarian's beliefs else they be considered wrong and subject to punishment.

Clearly the question was a call for an opinion. Condemned for her honesty because it opposed the personal opinion of the judge is not the American way nor is it representative of the ideal. Perhaps this judge should ask all former living Miss Americas the same question...I am sure that it would be educational.

As for PC being the way of the world. It was once "perfectly correct" to beat up "fags" and for "coloreds" to drink from separate fountains. I believe we are all thankful that honest opinions of right and wrong changed that era as well as the change in terminology from those times.

Will gay marriage become a norm in time, yes. It is inevitable. However pushing for too much too soon causes backlash and damages strong relationships of trust that have been built over time. So universal gay marriage today, no. In 10-20 years, perhaps. Think of the stigma of a mixed marriage 30-40 years ago compared to today.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
I'm Pro Gay Marriage, i think anyone should have the right to marry if they want, who are we or anyone else to dictate who can and can't be married?

I'm also Pro Free Speech, so she does have the right to say what she believes, but i also think maybe she could have gone about it in a better way

An opinion is not a dictation. From what I've seen she did not dictate anything. She was asked, she answered.

On the other hand, it seems those offended want to dictate what SHE should be thinking..

Is this, really so offensive?

"We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Lets not get carried away. She didn't state an ultimatum. She offered an opinion. Hers. Which she is entirely allowed to have and express.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

no i read it, and i re-read it again.

i don't think this should even be an issue anyway, beside these pageants are complete bollocks

On that we agree.

Any event that glorifies a set of people for qualities not held by others within that same set, is a form of discrimination in my books.

BUT that is a topic for a different thread.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

I came across this on youtube. The judge who asked the question has posted a video blog on his opinion etc.

I think this guy needs to seriously look in the mirror.

Do people seriously think like this?

Nothing like being full of yourself huh.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm really starting to think that Michael Savage is right on this issue: There IS a "Homosexual Mafia" out there!

americansfortruth.com...

I know, I'm some big self loathing closeted homophobe... Or whatever the pat response is these days...

My point is, Perez Hilton did more to hurt the "gay marriage" (in my eyes an oxymoron, but I digress) cause than help it here.

The message sent is this: We're hypocrites!

That's right, the whole gay rights movement are hypocrites.

The whole time they "fight" for equality, but the first time they have a choice like this to make in such a public forum... Their "spokesman" Perez Hilton screws up by throwing "his" objectivity out the window.

Nice job, keep a [insert clever word here] in your mouth next time instead of video blogging Perez.

Edit: made last sentance more civil so as not to violate T+C

[edit on 21/4/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Why does he have to call her names, in his video blog? How does that help him justify?
They just finished the show and he can't remember who won? Amazing, clearly it was personal to him.
This is someone you do NOT want to represent the gay community. I would issue a gag order for him. Talk about taking two steps backwards... Sheeshh..

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

im glad you found that vid and im mad at you because i was subjected to that, that, what ever it was.

who is this nut job anyways. i really hate these yahoo yuppie hollywood types who think their F*&#@d thinking process it the only way and everyone else should be lynched for not thinking that way.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This guys crowning achievement is to be a pageant judge for something so shallow it represents nothing more than a glamorized popularity contest. I mean, he actually thinks Miss USA "inspires and unites" people? He bemoans her answer, bringing up the founding fathers and the rights of the state over that of the federal government, while completely washing over the fact that she stated opinion, an opinion she has a right to, under the constitution. This guy needs a reality check.

I don't care if gay people get married, it doesn't effect me in my daily routine. But as far as I understood it, Marriage is religious experience, is it not? How can you legislate a religious order to allow gay and lesbians to marry if the organization does not wish it so? Why is there such a push to allow gay Marriage under a religious umbrella when it is really (or so i thought) the benefits of the marriage gays are seeking (tax benefits, the right to be joined under law, etc)?

One thing I'll never understand I guess

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

This is the thing though.

I have some gay friends from both sides of the sexes and none of them act like this. Regardless of sexuality this guy is extremely irritating and offensive to me and I am sure he is to others.

Unfortunately this is the perception that the media and people of the media create because of things like this.

I have come across people who do act like this in my lifetime and I find behaviour like this false if that makes sense because it is a perception generated by the media. I have often asked why do you act like this in the nicest possible way and the reply that I have gotten is "It is the way gay people are supposed to act". If I had gotten a reply such as because it is the way I am then I would not be saying this.

I am straight but if I were not, it certainly would not change me because this guy or anyone else in the media acts like this if that makes sense.

I mean how does this represent what a section of society is like?
More and more though young people are adopting this attitude because it is fed to them by the tube if that makes sense.

I mean people are glamourised for this sort of attitude!!??

[edit on 21-4-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The only reason anyone gives a rats ass about who can marry what is because of the IRS. By rights any group living in a resource sharing situation should be able to benefit by filing as a group. That goes for an X/Y, X/X, Y/Y, Y/Y/Y/X/X/Y/X/X/X household or whatever.

Abolish the IRS and there would no longer be any "legal" requirements for marriage. It's between whoever, however many of whoever and maybe their god figure. It has nothing to do with the state.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble

I'm also Pro Free Speech, so she does have the right to say what she believes, but i also think maybe she could have gone about it in a better way

you are pro free speech but her speech is not good enough for you. that is just crazy talk. She was asked a question and gave an answer. Guess what she was right. When the right of marriage was designed they were for guess what a MAN and a WOMAN to bond as one. I am not going to argue with you about gay marriage, people can do what ever they want just leave me alone. however I will argue with you about your double standards...

[edit on 15pmu32007 by DaleGribble]

All I have to say on the matter is two things, okay 3.
1) GOD burned two cities to nonexistence for the very filth that people openly do today.

2) God made ADAM and EVE NOT ADAM and STEVE!!!

3) What about my rights? Do I not have the right to go out in public and not be sickened by seeing two mwn kissing? Do my children not have the right to go to school and not be told that being gay is "OKAY"?
They are so quick to say you are trampling on "our" rights but what they fail to see is that they are offensive to others that don't want to look at it.

I close by saying this, if you want to be gay that is between you and the man upstairs, don't ask me to accept it. I have the right
not too.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

i couldnt agree with you more. i am straight too, and dont have any gay friends that i know of, but i have in the past. i dont care what group you are in if you have jackasses like that repersenting you. well you might as well give up because anyone with half a brain will find it hard to take you and your cause seriously..

also i tried to watch that vid, but i couldnt get it to work, may just be me though.

edit: i ogt it to work

[edit on 15amu92007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
She voiced her opinion, amidst an audience who she KNEW woudn't all necessarily like her reply.

She was gracious with it and explained why, adding "that's the way I was raised". I'd love to hear more people cite their upbringing when explaining their values.

Furthermore - she certainly shouldn't have apologised for having an opinion.

Everyone who argues with THAT needs to wind their necks in an calm down.

Go Team California.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

that is the funniest vid i think ive ever seen. but its also the saddest vid ive ever seen. that kid cant be for real. his dad yeah i know the dad was fake but i bet that is how the real father felt.
great find..LMFAO

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Funny how the professed tolerant individuals, can be so fanatically intolerant at the same time.

Sorry but I think this Perez Hilton character is out of line.
Who is he anyway?

He asked her a question wanting it to be an answer he himself would be pleased to hear and because she answered what she felt about Gay marriage honestly he slams her online and curses her name calling her a dumb "B". I don't mean blond.

She has a right to her opinion on the subject. I think she handled herself correctly.
She didn't call for Gay bashing or extermination she simply stated her belief based on her religion. She didn't ask anyone else to follow her belief on the subject.

Apparently she should have folded and answered every question with a safe middle ground answer if she didn't have one that could possibly offend someone...somewhere...in the known universe.

Granted the whole pageant thing is based on the superficial and the "getting to know you" segment is really a cheap attempt to give these living mannequins the appearance of depth but even still the fact that she actually seemed to have an opinion and didn't stumble into a panic induced rigmarole (that are so painful to watch) made her at least seem somewhat more dynamic.

I saw them both on Good Morning America...normally I don't watch TV at all but we just got a Dog and I didn't want to have him feel alone downstairs so I hooked up the boob tube again...and on the show I see what happened and watch this clown say she should answer the questions by some sort of PC guideline and even claimed she shouldn't talk about Jesus so much because other people may get offended.

Huh?

I don't think he understands much about how people function in the real world but claiming you love Jesus and are of the Christian faith isn't a slam against any other religion unless you use that religion to denounce other ones as evil and false.

Even though I don't follow pageant news or low brow celebrity gossip rags I was quite annoyed and remember now why I keep the TV on off mode.

Hilton is being a bit of a queen on this issue and for no reason other than he can be.
Then again he does call himself the queen of all media.

Guess he delivers what he promises.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

We live in a time where it's good to be bad or crazy. That's what makes hit's on t.v reality show's.( Im refering to the chris crocker video.)
Which, I dispise with a passion.
Paris Hilton is the perfect example. No talent, just born into wealth. She's an attention wh*re, that coined the term "That's Hot".

I actually encourage gay marriage, just so we can all be miserable together!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join