It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court won't disturb death sentence in case of jurors who consulted Bible

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
You know if I was that judge, I would have declared a mistrial over the opinions of the Jury being biased. It's ridiculous that we allow religion to dictate our legal systems or any part of our large societal values and practices.

This really needs to be reviewed by somebody who knows how to do their jobs, instead of Bible Thumping their way through court hearings, playing God.

Another example of our defective and otherwise useless legal system.

George Washington And Abraham Lincoln are rolling in their graves.

~Keeper

Yeah. How ridiculous.

Of course the Pledge of Allegiance kind of is theocratic to begin with when you think about it.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by pieman

However that did not happen.

What happened was that a group of jurors got together and decided to take a bible based on their faith and use passages from that book in order to reach a decision on the fate of a man's life.

There is a difference. Personal biases are normally noticed during jury vetting processes and they are removed. These slipped through the cracks. Comparing it to something else is irrelevant, because that is not what happened.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 4/21/09 by niteboy82]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Donnie Darko

The original Pledge of Allegiance by Bellamy did not contain a reference to a deity.

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Nothing about deities there and definitely not an argument that even falls under the correct timeline in reference to what our founding fathers would be doing in their graves.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 4/21/09 by niteboy82]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
if the jurors had come to their decision based on their christian upbringing rather than an exact quote from the bible would that have been better for you people?

Actually, yes.

While I may believe in the Bible, I might not believe as those peers of mine do, and I cannot say that justice is served by them exercising their faith.

Justice is supposed to be blind. Religious dogma is not a form of blindness, it is a form of certitude; one that each person exercises as an expression of free choice. It has no place in courts. The Law is written by and for people, wouldn't it matter to you, if you disagreed with their faith?

Where is the equality in this equation?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join