It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court won't disturb death sentence in case of jurors who consulted Bible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Supreme Court won't disturb death sentence in case of jurors who consulted Bible

www.sun-sentinel.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has turned away a challenge from a death row inmate in Texas who claimed his constitutional rights were violated by jurors who consulted a Bible during deliberations.

Jurors reviewed a biblical passage relating that a murderer who used an iron object to kill "shall surely be put to death." They were deciding whether to impose a death sentence on Khristian Oliver for fatally shooting and bludgeoning his victim with the barrel of a gun.

The court previousl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
not too far from Islamic law now is it?
These are religious nuts in my opinion

What kind of brain developement must one have to be a grown man/woman and need to consult an obsolete book written by god knows who to help them decide what to do?

Btw when I say obsolete book i'm pretty much commenting on all holy books of most religions, even my own.

www.sun-sentinel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I thought God and Law were supposed to be separate in this country.
I call bull #, this needs to be looked at again!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
What! Because the Bible says he should die that's how they decided?! I thought you couldnt use religion when it comes to matters of law.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
You know if I was that judge, I would have declared a mistrial over the opinions of the Jury being biased. It's ridiculous that we allow religion to dictate our legal systems or any part of our large societal values and practices.

This really needs to be reviewed by somebody who knows how to do their jobs, instead of Bible Thumping their way through court hearings, playing God.

Another example of our defective and otherwise useless legal system.

George Washington And Abraham Lincoln are rolling in their graves.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Shameful.

To think that in this day and age an outdated book is used to determine the fate of someone that will be punished by the people. Then I hear Christians fighting and shouting about the possible incoming of Sharia Law into court systems. Those that support these jurors for using the bible are doing nothing but opening the door for the allowance of other belief systems in the court system. On this path, its only a matter of time.

I would find solace in the fact that eventually the payback will happen, but at the same time a man's fate was decided by a book. So much for impartial, the whole jury should have been wiped and a mistrial declared for their wreckless actions.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Witnesses take an oath to tell the truth on a Bible.....

It isn't exactly separate.

I don't really know what to think about the original jury decision. Jurors are suppose to make decisions based on evidence alone with no outside influence. Obviously, they sought counsel within the Bible, and that was outside influence.

I can understand not wanting to annoy Christians, but the Bible should have never been allowed to be used during deliberations to a point where it had an actual impact on the jury's decision.

[edit on 4/20/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If using religion is acceptable in criminal cases, how many people would enjoy having and islamic, hindu, jewish, or catholic juries instead of a protestant one? Relgion should not be allowed to determine the fate of another individual. The courts are bound to not allowing religion to weigh on their decisions even if it is the jury consulting religous texts. If he was given the death penalty because they consutled the bible then they need to have a retrial.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
the problem is not the legal system, it's the region
i'm assuming this is bible belt area
from what I understand TX isn't that bad in this arena

but probably the judge feels the same way as the jury does
the state should intervene, this is nuts.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Proceedings like this really just go to show how much we need to re-examine A. our legal system and B. what measure we give to religion in society.

I have no qualm's with people choosing to practice what they feel is right, however a death sentence appeal being shot down based on a two thousand year old book is absolutley ridiculous and infuriating. Im not saying that he shouldn't be punished but that could not possibly be a fair trial and if that was the sentencing by the jury I can only imagine that he could in no way have had a fair trial.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There should be a book that says "He who consults a book for important decisions is an idiot."

How incompetent is this judge not to declare a mistrial?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
as has been said above , witnesses swear to tell the truth , the whole truth and nothing but the truth on the bible ,

and who`s afraid of shharia law? you allready HAVE christian church courts and jewish *beth`din) courts operating above and beyond civil law.

which big bad wolf is religion making now huh

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
what county was this guy in. does anyone know. Please dont let it be Bell county. Imma shoot myself in the foot. All those bigots in Bell county, it wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I agree they should be seperate but I find no harm in using the Bible for
it's SUPPOSED outdated wisdom. Think about it does that mean we should stop treating others with respect and that it's okay to lie cheat steal kill rape hate torture and other things. C'mon people the founding fathers used the Bible to say it's outdated is like saying the Holocaust never happened and Hitler was just running around giving flowers and hugs to all the Jewish people he gave the orders to be murdered. Now I know not everyone believes in Christianity but I don't think we should just throw away the good it has done because some people disagree with bad things done in God's name after The Second Covenant. If that were to happen we would become our own worst enemies. As for these jurors I'm glad to see they are using the Good Book. I will say this they shouldn't look to the Old Testament for their advice because of the New Covenant which removed the need for "Eye for an eye." For the sentence either give him the standard 25 years or give him life but once again it depends on the judge not being too narrow minded as well. for a personal opinion though if he had murdered a child or something like that I would kill him myself.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
I agree they should be seperate but I find no harm in using the Bible for
it's SUPPOSED outdated wisdom.

I never said it had outdated wisdom
I don't think it has any wisdom at all to begin with
I just said it's outdated

Think about it does that mean we should stop treating others with respect and that it's okay to lie cheat steal kill rape hate torture and other bad things.

So atheists like to cheat, steal, rape and kill?

to say it's outdated is like saying the Holocaust never happened and Hitler was just running around giving flowers and hugs to all the Jewish people he gave the orders to be murdered.

ummmm
really?
is it really like that?
Really?????

there's footage of the holocaust available
there's holocaust survivors
there's footage with Hitler giving his speech

the bible on the other hand, along with most other religious texts, is complete hearsay. It is read by people who weren't alive during the existence of the alleged Jesus AND it was written about 100 years after the death of christ.

Between the death of christ and the the apostles writting the bible there was no documentation whatsoever during the interim. None whatsoever.

There was never anyone known as Jesus that existed.
And no one here ever read the bible, not even you.
You read a book edited by church elders for decades and decades.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
First of all some of the best people I've ever met were atheists they totally don't like killing and rape and all that b.s.. Yes the holocaust did happen that was there to be a response to those who say it didn't.. You have your beliefs just like everyone else. Yes I do believe lots of the Bible is edited but then again so are math books. As for no one here reading the Bible you are seriously wrong but that's your opinion and your welcome to it. I look forward to more from you in the future you will be a worthy adversary fake stars and flags for ya.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is retarded. I cant say the guy deserves or does not deserve it he did kill someone. But to hide behind religion to kill someone? youre no better than osama bin laden.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
"... a jury of your peers."

Could this mean that if the accused had not been Christian, he should not have been tried by Christians?

Where was the defense attorney in this matter? I think an estoppel motion is in order. The state cannot contend that the jury can expect to use religious dogma as a basis for sentencing? I can't wait to read the judges' opinions in this matter.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Aren't guns made from blued steel anyway, rather than iron?

These people are clearly dogmatic enough to follow the precise text of the book, then why not follow it down to the letter.

Frankly this ruling doesn't bother me. Jury trials are the most ridiculous form of justice anyway... how can a bunch of laymen be expected to understand an arcane legal system?

Within a jury trial, each juror selects his verdict based on his own intrinsic biases, beliefs and moral system. I bet that only a tiny fraction of jurors actually understand the law books fully, and attempt to judge the accused by the books.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
to my mind there is a massive dose of stupidity in saying that jurors have a right to put someone to death and then critising them for how they came to their decision.

if the jurors had come to their decision based on their christian upbringing rather than an exact quote from the bible would that have been better for you people?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join