It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riot Police Taught To Treat The Public 'As Their Enemy', Former Chief Claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Riot Police Taught To Treat The Public 'As Their Enemy', Former Chief Claims

www.telegraph.co.uk

David Gilbertson, a retired Scotland Yard commander and assistant inspector of constabulary, said that the "defensive" approach once central to British policing has "morphed into a faux US-style operation" where officers wear military-looking uniforms and used batons and Taser stun guns to clamp down on perceived dissent.

He claimed that a "crisis of leadership" had filtered down to officers, who are overly aggressive because they consider any contact with the public as a potential threat – as seen during the G20 protests.
Scotland Yard is facing damaging three inquiries into the alleged manslaughter of Ian Tomlinson, and two alleged assaults at the demonstrations. Meanwhile lawyers are compiling a "dossier" of up to 400 other complaints from protesters claiming to have been victims or witnesses to police brutality.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.telegraph.co.uk
w ww.telegraph.co.uk
www.telegraph.co.uk< br />
Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
G20 Riot Police Receive 145 Complaints; Assaults and Excessive Force!
G20 Cop Who Hit Ian Tomlinson 'has a heart attack'

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
As it turns out...like many of us suspected, The G20 Riot police are taught to treat the public as their "enemy" and regard every situation as a "threat".

Were they taught to cover the numbers on thier uniforms too?
Probably!

Were they taught to wear masks to further hide thier idenity? I think so!

Were they taught to incite riots by instigating violent acts on peaceful protesters? I think yes! What does ATS think?

Durning the G20 Summit, April 2, 2009 Police assaulted peaceful protesters again and again. One man, Ian Tomlinson died after an unprovoked attack by a masked police officer. Many other citizens were assaulted, violently by officers.

A tactic; "kettling" was used, with force on the non violent protests. Video footage is shown below of the "kettling".

New footage has emerged of Ian Tomlinson being forcefully hit on the leg with a baton by a masked officer.

New footage emerged showing another officer hitting Nicky Fisher in the face with his hand and on her leg with his baton after allegedly being sworn at.

These officers and thier superiors need to be punished!!!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Two videos showing the G20 Riot Police attacking peaceful protestors, and even innocent bystanders!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Hi,

Unfortunately you are right and it's a descending spiral - the police don't trust the public who don't trust the police..who....

Partly attribute this to a switch (in the UK at least) to the police insisting on targetting the motorist as a stealth tax rather than rather than acting as Civil Servants.

And also on legistlation that allows them to run over people whilst in pursuit of a stolen or untaxed car, carry machine guns in public and generally goad law abiding citizens into breaking the law.

Sadly they have become above the law that they are paid to enforce.

Peace!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I'm in the US. The "US style policing" really stood out.

I honestly hate police, or at least the job they do. I can not see any amount of good done by police. People can govern them selves.

Get rid of half the laws we have and get rid of the police. FBI and Swat can stay, problem solved.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
telegraph is admitting the horrors of geniocidal US police aka Gestapo

hopefully , people revolt and kill the international bankers and TPTB and we will be free

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

You make a good point there...add in another factor of the pursuit of tax money...seems that it boils down to this: The governments want us to work and pay our taxes so they can target us as the "enemy". Oh I get it we should just be thier slaves, and chained ones at that? Forget that!

The police need to be punished, and the people should always have a right to freedom of peaceful protest.

Picture shown in article linked here of a constable that has removed his epaulette idenity number.

Police ‘should be punished for covering up ID’

MET commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson was told today he must discipline officers who have defied orders to identify themselves.

Boris Johnson's deputy mayor Kit Malthouse called for those who fail to wear their shoulder numbers to face disciplinary action as the Standard revealed a constable with his identity number concealed.

www.thisislondon.co.uk...'s+order+to+show+ID+badges/article.do

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by The Wave

You make a good point there...add in another factor of the pursuit of tax money...seems that it boils down to this: The governments want us to work and pay our taxes so they can target us as the "enemy". Oh I get it we should just be thier slaves, and chained ones at that? Forget that!

The police need to be punished, and the people should always have a right to freedom of peaceful protest.

Yep that's exactly what they want, pay us, do what we tell you to, and shut the hell up.

Those police looked just like the police here in the US. The must have imported some American LEO's (they have been allowed to be above the law also) to train the police in the UK. They won't be punished, if they are it will be short lived. That kind of treatment of the ctizens will become more and more commonplace.

I feel for the people in the UK seems as though they are now going through what we have been going through here in the US. We are now labeled as suspected terrorists if we support our constitution, disagree with illegal immigration, are upset wiht the world view of us, or happen to be a Vet returning from war, and the list goes on. We have also recently been branded as unpatriotic and racists if we attended or supported our recent peaceful tea parties. Sadly it's our own fault, we let our government get out of control. Seems like the entire world will end up like this soon.

I wish you guys the best of luck, looks like you're gonna need it.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I hope that riot police are taught that during a protest to treat everything as a potential threat and that every person is a possible threat. In the Army we are taught the same thing. Not doing this is how a seemingly harmless old tire on the side of the road takes out half a convoy.

Vigilance keeps you alive and uninjured.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Are you equating the citizens of a country engaged in a peaceful protest with the actions of people defending their country from an enemy army?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Not at all, I am using personal experiance of being trained to keep a weary eye on everyone and everything. They are taught the same thing and rightly so.

A peaceful protest can turn violent in a second. It has happened before and will happen again. If riot police are not trained to be vigilant and percieve everyone and everything as a potential threat then injuries could happen or live could be lost.

I believe I said the same thing in my previous post. Hope this is a little bit clearer for you.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I agree they do have to be careful. Problem is i don't believe riot police need to be at a peaceful protest. On standby, in the vicinity yes, in the streets with the protesters from the beginning no. If their presence is up in front of people it can be seen as a threat and cause things to escalate when they may not have if just a normal police force was there.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Normal police are patrolling the streets doing their jobs.

If the protest is small enough then most likely it is regular officers hanging out around them making sure that peace is kept. If the protest is projected to big then they bring out the riot police(which are regular cops speacially trained) while the rest of the force continues their regular routes.

I much rather them be around the perimmater of the protesters(they are only allowed to legally protest in a certain area) then be down the street from them. Thats where the part of vigilance comes in. Hard to be vigilant half a block away.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
There's a peepee taking protest on mayday. Put on by the spacehijackers. (who we all love btw, they're the ones who had the AV and got arrested for wearing police uniforms at the G20)

GUILTY
A CELEBRATION OF THE POLICE STATE

THERE IS NO PLACE FOR FREEDOM IN AN AGE OF TERROR! GIVE UP THE FIGHT AND CELEBRATE OUR STATUS AS HAPPY PRISONERS. HOW MANY MORE MUST DIE BEFORE WE LEARN TO DO AS WE'RE TOLD?

TURN YOURSELF IN AT

THE BANK OF ENGLAND
FOUR MINUTES PAST THE STROKE OF FIVE
MAYDAY

CONVICTS - Dress in your best stripes and come on down to the excercise yard to walk in a circle with your fellow inmates. Sneak some contraband (Sound Systems, Moonshine, Cake, Kettles, Party Games) Past the guards

POLICE - Dress in high-vis yellow or riot black. Encircle the prisoners to piss them off and start some fights. Accept no food or drinks from the convicts because you never know what might be in it. If you plan to join in the "clubbing", make sure you remove your ID numbers and bring covering for your face.

IF THEY WANT A NATION OF CRIMINALS THEN LET'S LET THEM HAVE IT...

PRINT OUT AND DISTRIBUTE FLYERS

www.spacehijackers.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
We'll just have to disagree about only being legal to protest in certain places.

I understand what you are saying about them being at the perimeter being safer. I just think that riot police in full riot gear sometimes causes a sense of intimidation among protesters and may add to things becoming uneccesarily heated.

I understand it's a difficult situation for LEO's to address. It's just that sometimes citizens are made to feel like the enemy when they just want to peacefully voice their opinion.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
There's a peepee taking protest on mayday.

Does that mean they are protesting drug testing ?

I have to agree if you treat people like criminals long enough they will start acting like criminals.

Why at the bank of England, is there a problem with them, or is that just a high profile place ?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Originally posted by Acidtastic
There's a peepee taking protest on mayday.

Does that mean they are protesting drug testing ?

I have to agree if you treat people like criminals long enough they will start acting like criminals.

Why at the bank of England, is there a problem with them, or is that just a high profile place ?
I don't know why the BoE, I presume it's because that's where it all went pear shaped for the police. Pluss it's near where IT died. So yes, it's high profile in a way.

new topics

top topics

join