It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama calling on Cabinet to cut spending

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

apnews.myway.com

A senior administration officials says President Barack Obama is ready to ask federal department and agency chiefs to find $100 million to cut from the budget when he holds his first formal Cabinet meeting.

The official previewed Topic A for Monday's Cabinet meeting on grounds of anonymity because it will be a private session. He said Obama will be reminding Cabinet members that financially-pressed families are looking to the government to spend their money wisely.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Obama calls for a drastic Budget cut of 100 Million dollars?

$3,550,000,000,000 Budget
-100,000,000 Cuts

WOW! Must be cutting toilet paper for congress.

That’s like saving $28 on a mortgage payment of $1,000.

It’s still going to take a long time to payoff.

A real cut in your budget huh.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
But if he didn't make any cuts at all he would be blasted.

This is probably immediate spending at more budgets are overlooked and what fat can be trimmed.

And 100 mil adds up every year, it is not a one time cut. But you will probably see more eliminations in teh future as what is decided is necessity.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bejing

One thing that struck me as odd beside the minuscule budget cut of roughly 3% was the line about how this was going to be a private session. I understand that his cabinet's function is as a group of personal advisers but I also remember him promising transparency on issues such as spending

Edit: Spelling.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by Num1Skeptic]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Don't government cuts in spending equal unemployment for some people whose department funds have been reduced?

If so, is cutting spending a good option?

If the goal is only to cut 100 million then maybe Obama ought to do like many companies. All members of Congress, the President, and all his department heads will get a salary of $1. That should save 100 million plus.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If the goal is only to cut 100 million then maybe Obama ought to do like many companies. All members of Congress, the President, and all his department heads will get a salary of $1. That should save 100 million plus.

Yeah, and I'm gonna hold my breath til they do that!

How about cutting their lucrative "retirement" packages? That would save a bundle.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Oh WOW a whole whopping

0.0028% in budget cuts

We are Saved now - go spend & use your credit cards

The skittle-pooping unicorn has been found and we will all be bathed in candy and happiness.

/sarcasm off

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bejing

It would seem that all those "Redneck, Rasist, Tea Baggers" are having an effect on Washington. Well good they worked the first time. I hope they have an enormous effect this time. Mark my words this is only the begining. I do believe the people need to give Obama alittle more time before we start bashing him too hard, but this is a sign the American public is starting to see the man for what he is and not what he says he is..
Way to go America. HELL YES...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble
reply to post by Bejing

It would seem that all those "Redneck, Rasist, Tea Baggers" are having an effect on Washington. Well good they worked the first time. I hope they have an enormous effect this time. Mark my words this is only the begining. I do believe the people need to give Obama alittle more time before we start bashing him too hard, but this is a sign the American public is starting to see the man for what he is and not what he says he is..
Way to go America. HELL YES...

Watch for more "bones" to be thrown. So, 300,000 protesters equals $100M in cuts. We have a ways to go. Maybe 1 Million protesters will garner $300M in cuts... Armed Protesters will equal Reinstating the Constitution?

(insert dream sequence here)

Kepp an eye out for more bones to be thrown.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Oh yeah, we should all be impressed, this cut is the equivalent of FIFTEEN (15) MINUTES of federal spending.

Sorry, but that does NOT impress me

Not at all

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

great point maybe i should go to one. i see my self as a "redneck" i tend to like the things they do for fun anyways. so looks like im a fit. and the number need to go up to get more done count me in...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
what a joke 100 million bucks

cutting budgets cutting federal programs you people do realize that puts people out of work?????

how about obama stop flying around the world to kiss the ass of the rest of the world do you know how many millions a dollars it costs to fly a 747,his staff and the secret service around?

if the obama admin wants to trim the fat stop the insane spending.

the problem with continual budget cuts and federal programs eventually leads to the rob peter to pay paul scenario and ends up being nothing but a bunch of half assed programs that serve noone.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by neo67]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bejing

.... says the lawyer-politician who took his wife for a ride on Air Force One over Valentines Day .. flying her to Chicago for dinner for a three day weekend.

.... says the lawyer-politician who serves up Kobe Beef at White House functions. (which costs between $60 - $300 a pound)

.... says the lawyer-politician who has decided that Wednesday Night is now cocktail-party night at the White House with big name celebs, champagne and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexpensive goodies on tap.

etc etc etc :shk:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo67[/i(Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Monday proposed a $100 billion U.S. loan to the International Monetary Fund to boost the IMF's resources and urged a bigger stake in the IMF for emerging powers

Ther goes the $100 million and some!

[edit on 20-4-2009 by Bejing]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bejing
reply to post by neo67[/i(Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Monday proposed a $100 billion U.S. loan to the International Monetary Fund to boost the IMF's resources and urged a bigger stake in the IMF for emerging powers

Ther goes the $100 million and some!

[edit on 20-4-2009 by Bejing]

gotta love naruto and neji

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This is the biggest joke yet with obama calling on his Cabinet to cut spending. After going on the largest spending spree in history obama has to come back and make token cuts to look good in the eyes of the people. I say to little to late even if it is a little over 100 million in cuts. What really will be interesting is where the cuts will be made and my bet the cuts will be made in Republican districts.

He can not afford to make the democrats mad by cutting spending in their districts. Let me see I know cut the Post Office back to 5 days, that being Tuesday as the new day off during the week which has been talked about already. This could be close to 100 million in cost cutting measures by the Post Office that was planned anyway, but it still looks good.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by amari]

new topics

top topics

join