It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking hospitalized

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
good news guys!

LONDON - The family of physicist Stephen Hawking expects him to recover fully from a chest infection that has left him hospitalized, Cambridge University said Tuesday.

Hawking "was being kept in observation" at Addenbrooke's hospital after being admitted Monday.

"He is comfortable and his family is looking forward to him making a full recovery," Cambridge said in a statement.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Hawking, 67, gained renown for his work on black holes and has remained active despite being diagnosed at age 21 with ALS, (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), an incurable degenerative disorder also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Hawking has been almost entirely paralyzed for years and communicates through an electronic voice synthesizer activated by his fingers.

Hawking was involved in the search for the great goal of physics — a "unified theory" — which would resolve contradictions between Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which describes the laws of gravity that govern the motion of large objects like planets, and the Theory of Quantum Mechanics, which deals with the world of subatomic particles.

"A complete, consistent unified theory is only the first step: our goal is a complete understanding of the events around us, and of our own existence," he wrote in his best-selling book, "A Brief History of Time," published in 1988.

In the sequel "The Universe in a Nutshell," published in 2001, Hawking ventured into concepts like supergravity, naked singularities and the possibility of a universe with 11 dimensions.

He announced last year that he would step down from his post as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a title once held by the great 18th-century physicist Isaac Newton. However, the university said Monday Hawking intended to continue working as Emeritus Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.

The illness, which Hawking has been fighting for several weeks, had caused him to cancel an appearance at Arizona State University on April 6.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I just heard a release saying that Hawking's family expects him to make a full recovery from the chest infection but he's still in hospital.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I will be channeling positive thoughts during meditations, I invite everyone to join in.

~Keeper

Looks like it might be doing the trick, keep it up, I'll help.

What an amazing guy, I mean how determined must he be to suffer through his paralysis and yet be able to think up some of the greatest theories on astrophysics of the 20th century... Though in his condition, what better way to use your mind? All the best.

<< 1   >>

join