It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking hospitalized

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Stephen Hawking hospitalized

www.winnipegsun.com

LONDON — Famed mathematician Stephen Hawking has been rushed to a hospital and is seriously ill, Cambridge University said Monday.

The university said Hawking has been fighting a chest infection for several weeks, and was being treated at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, the university city north of London.

“Professor Hawking is very ill,” said Gregory Hayman, the university’s head of communications. “He is undergoing tests. He has been unwell for a couple of weeks.”

Hawking, 67, gained renown for his work on black holes, and has remained active despite being diagnosed at 21 with motor neurone disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), an incurable degenerative disease.

For some years, Hawking has been almost entirely paralyzed, and he communicates through an electronic voice synthesizer activated by his fingers.

“Professor Hawking is a remarkable colleague. We all hope he will be amongst us again soon,” said Professor Peter Haynes, head of the university’s Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.

Hawking had canceled an appearance at Arizona State University on April 6 because of his illness.

He announced last year that he would step down from his post as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a title once held by the great 18th century physicist Isaac Newton, and the end of this academic year. However, the university said Hawking intended to continue working as Emeritus Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Very sad news.

We may be about to lose one of the greatest minds of our times. The list of accomplishments and contributions to science he has made is to great to list, but his greatest works have involved the study of black holes and theorems regarding singularities in the framework of general relativity.

Best wishes and luck to you professor from ATS.

FreeSpeaker

www.winnipegsun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is very sad news. Its put a real dampner on my mood.
I sincerely hope that he can overcome this and can stay with us for a while yet. Such a great man who has done great things.
Get well soon!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers go out to Professor Hawking and his family. His contribution to the advancement of theoretical physics is incalculable. When I first read A Breif History of Time it was a real eye opener.

Best wishes
-E-

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Sad Indeed, i've been fortunate enough to be able to meet and talk to him on multiple occasions

All the best Stephen

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
He is truly a great man. I sincerely hope that this infection can be treated and that he can get back to a healthy state.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I heard about this in the morning when I woke up. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and is able to carry on contributing to the world of math and science. All the news is saying here is that he has a chest infection.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yeah this will be a very sad year indeed if we loose the great Stephen Hawkings. He is a great man, and I'm saddened to think he would not be here to work on the amazing new concepts and ideas that are coming out of his field.

I wish him the best of luck and speedy recovery. God knows we still are in desperate need of keen minds such as his.

I will be channeling positive thoughts during meditations, I invite everyone to join in.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What a shame, I hope he has a good recovery. A mind like his is few and far between. We need him here.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Haha i'm just down the road from Addenbrookes, I might get down there and give him a visit! Seriously though as everyone has said, he is one of the greatest minds on earth today and it would be a shame if he can't make a quick and full recovery from the chest infection.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Oh dear, very sad news indeed
Sending thoughts, prayers and healing vibes to one of the greatest minds on the planet. He has taught so much with his life's work in the fields of science and math, not to mention all the inspiration he gives us with his incredible perseverance despite the physical disability.

Get well soon, Stephen. We're pulling for you.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I wish this man all the best in this world and the next. Like Einstein, Turing and Oppenheimer, his work is a compilation of immesurable importance. Where ever this tremendous mans life leads him I hope he finds the answers to the questions that haunt him, questions we've never thought to ask.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

It looks like he is going to be ok.

The bbc has reported that his condition has improved.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

news.bbc.co.uk...

We can only hope.

But at the same time, this is the one event horizon into which we all will pass, and I can only hope that if he does enter into it, it is with the same wonder and insatiable thirst for knowledge he has shown his entire life.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

news.bbc.co.uk...

Good news in the morning!

Hopefully he makes a full recovery, chest infections can be a real pain and take a long time to recover from.

Thanks for the update.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I don't want to be a jerk here I've every sympathy for the guy and all the hardships he has dealt with throughout his life but greatest mind and immeasurable importance it's amazing how much the media has influenced you all.

The guy has shown an incredible will to live to last as long as he has and there is no doubt he can do maths but not one single theory of his has any real evidence to back it up. He makes claims like Einstein is doubly wrong and absolute nonsense like Hawking Radiation.

Now I hope Mr Hawking a speedy recovery I really do although I suspect his health has already pushed the boundarys.

Smartest mind I can't agree with but I have to admire the courage he has shown making the most of his life he got dealt a bad hand and won.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

From article:

Hawking, 67, gained renown for his work on black holes, and has remained active despite being diagnosed at 21 with motor neurone disease (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), an incurable degenerative disease.

For some years, Hawking has been almost entirely paralyzed, and he communicates through an electronic voice synthesizer activated by his fingers.

I don't get why the hell these paragraphs were at all necessary in the article. If you've heard of him, these are things you know, and if you haven't, you aren't going to care what state he's in.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Wishing him a speedy recovery

We can do without losing his brain power at this particular time.

I tried phoning him to wish him well,(I think I got his answer machine though
)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
AGENT_T you should be ashamed of yourself............ok it was funny.

Anyway i wish the Professor all the best, as others have stated we could use his brain at the moment.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
We seem to be losing the best of them lately. It really is a sad time for the living. I'd hate seeing another good one go.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join