It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was I being rude?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Sorry.....I didn't realize you were speaking about Mass or anything specifically to do with Catholic beliefs...though I should have realized the OP speaks of Mass and other things specifically.
I can't say much there. I don't agree with Catholicism overall, but that's just me....I thought you were speaking more 'in general'
I believe that simply being in church regardless of denomination has the capacity of giving the impression of claiming belief, whether belief is held by the person or not (as you've said it can seem) but IMO nobody should be looking up to any other human being, but only to God if they follow along with the Bible anyhow....or are even questioning it. How many millions of opinions, and strains and variations of religion are out there? I just can't imagine the use of trusting a single person on the face of this fallen earth, but only the personal experience one has with God Himself, as leadership in one's life.
That said, I guess that only presents more conflict, because you, on the other hand, probably support the Pope as being God's representative on Earth, so I shouldn't expect you to hold the same beleifs in this department. And so....I dunno what else to say. I mean, I'm not going to try and tear you away from what you find dear to your heart and suggest it is any better or worse than what I feel is right so far...
But there's a major denominational difference here (or at least from what I understand as of now)- some Christians believe they have free access and the privilege of speaking directly to God, while others believe there must be ritual and special, ordained people to mediate, or something like that.

Interesting....
So anyway, obviously I was coming from my own take on things so far, and not considering yours. I guess there's little else to say.
But still, unless our OP here personally believes in the standards held by Catholicism, I can't see how he can dread the repercussions of participating, in spite of disbelief. I certainly would not expect him to...(or her? I'm sorry if I have missed the gender detail lol)

[edit on 23-4-2009 by phoebeflakes]

<< 1   >>

join