It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a person be driven insane by an image?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrygSol
There are a few paintings that do that without fail.

You know the picture where the doll/girl is holding a gun to the depressed looking boy?

They say that painting makes everybody feel uneasy, and has driven people quite insane. They say it's haunted, apparently what that doll is holding, is known to change.

That boy's eyes freaks you out though.

That is one heck of a disturbing pic.

I can feel the heebie-jeebies burrowing their way like maggots into my frontal lobes as we speak.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

what about images, in rapid succession (they tell me this is T.V).
Do not know about anyne else but there are a host of T.V. programs that drive me nuts.
Most programs requiring the public to vote via SMS phone poll- these are the type of programs that piss me off.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This topic reminds me of the book I Am Legend, the creatures who are almost like vampires are terrified of religious icons, not all religious icons however but some will fear the Cross, others the Star Of David others the myriad of other symbols of religious importance. The reason for this being that while the vampire plague spread people turned to their religion of choice and in seeing themselves become the embodiment of evil their symbols of good became a psychological torture.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777

what about images, in rapid succession (they tell me this is T.V).
Do not know about anyne else but there are a host of T.V. programs that drive me nuts.
Most programs requiring the public to vote via SMS phone poll- these are the type of programs that piss me off.

There are some images and sequences like you have mentioned that strike me as very full of "ugly energy" or bad vibes or call it what you will. Just sort of innately disturbing on a gut level. Others seem totally unaffected by them, or perhaos impacted by different sequences that don't particualrly bother me. Who knows why?

I do think we have far too many symbols and images being aimed at us all the time, in the form of writing, text, advertisements, etc. Now they are putting video screens everywhere...in taxis, in elevators, in the doctor's office, 80 feet high over a city square...seems I can't go anywhere without some video image blaring at me....I guess people think its "neat" and "futuristic" but I find it invasive as hell. I sort of scurry through this video hell labyrinth of modern life with my head down, clutching whatever book I happen to be reading at the moment and trying to bury myself in it to block out all the attention-span-shattering images being projected at us from every angle...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

On a more intelligent note, symbols have been with us forever.
On an occult level thet are used to initiate psychological triggers, activating a predisposed idea, subconciously.
This is the reasoning of Sigil Magick.
Symbols have played an important part in military regalia.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

Yes....the connections between symbolism, spirituality, worldy power, and knowledge in general seem almost self-evident...and yet when I try to wrap my head around the conceptual nexus of these relationships, things get hazy...the exact nature and functions of symbols (both as signifiers of power on earth and recepticles of more spiritual powers) seems simple on the surface and yet the more you ponder it the deeper the mystery gets...

Symbols, of any sort, serve at least seversl functions. One, they deliniste what is being symbolized and clarifythe often-hazy edges. Two, they allow the symbolized topic to be manipulated within a larger conceptual space, and thus give power to the symbol-manipulator. Three, they point towards the possibility of order within and thus increased knowledge of this newly-revealed larger conceptual space. All powerful juju, whether we are talking the printing of greenbacks or the inscribing of the Seal of Solomon on virgin parchment.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join