It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a person be driven insane by an image?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I caught a bit of Kathy Griffin's latest TV special for Bravo, or whatever, the other day, I that pretty much drove me insane.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Considering the number of people that quickly became delusional, and still are, by an image of Obama, I would have to answer the OP's question with a big resounding YES.

If I may borrow from a movie "If you build it, they will come", so, if you paint it they will go insane.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

YES! ...Why only yesterday I saw enraged and went out of my tree when I saw the image(s) of Dimitar Berbatov tickling a football as if it was the most unimportant thing in the world.

Engraed isn't the word, come to think of it...more like lividly furious.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I dont think its possible for someone to go insane by looking at a picture. Youd have to be already psychotic to go crazy because of a picture.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Do any of you remember those patterned magic 3D images? You focus on the pattern until you can see a HIDDEN recognizable image.
IMAGINE!!
It would not surprise me in the least if with the advances in digital imaging and processing that a hidden image could be subconsciously seen within a pefectly normal looking exterior image.
This kind of technology could already be in use secretly for advertising purposes for instance. But, it could be devastating if used for other more nefarious purposes. Perhaps used by governments or militarys to depict images of war,famine, world catastrophe or alien invasion.
If this could be done (double layered digital imaging) so the eyes see one image whist the brain sees the other, then it is quite possible that we are bombarded with it on a daily basis, ESPECIALLY on the net. Worse still, if these images could be displayed and perceived by the mind hidden behind VIDEO imaging, we would be bombarded also through our DIGITAL tv sets!!!!

THINK about it

[edit on 20-4-2009 by sayzaar]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think it would have to depend on the person. Some people are more susceptible than others. I can't image any image that would drive me insane. Sad maybe, horrified even, but not insane.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cancerian42
Many people have horrific terror or some psychological "disorder" that makes them feel terrified just by seeing an image, although we don't usually think of that as insanity, I would say it is similar. Lots of people have fears of clowns for some reason, and just to see a picture of a clown terrifies them even without any bad experiences in their lifetime. I also think that maybe if you looked at a symbol for a long time (like years) and then it disappeared you might have some psychological trauma from the absence of the symbol.

i have a freind who is scared to the point of insanity of clowns. once when we were drunk another freind put on a clown mask and ran into the room my mate ran off jumped through a window and down street screaming your not coming near me. wtf is that about ay lol

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Oh definitely. I've seen it happen. It could be whatever that fuels your anger. Some get angry, but some just blow a gasket. For example, a picture of the swastica, the cross, the pentagram, pictures of the KKK, pictures of your spouse having sex with someone else (this one is common for people to lose themselves). As one poster had said, and it's true, that it's really perspective.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Quite a few movies and songs explore and/or touch upon this notion "A Clockwork Orange" "Pink Floyd's: The Wall" One could say a number of Prince songs contain a story of imagery such "Joy in Repetition" "Tambourine" "Paisley Park" "Condition of the Heart" to name a few. Or perhaps the rock opus "American Pie" by Don McLean.

Specific images have been used for propaganda, which is nothing more than stirring emotions to fall in line with an agenda.

Can anyone honestly read/listen to the folk tale of "Mighty Casey at the Bat" and not think of baseball? Or perhaps a game that you saw or played in yourself? Think of the fever of of the video that was on here about a muslim girl that was stoned to death or even the feelings conjured up by someone mentioning 9/11?

We all have ways of having our buttons pushed. We all have our defense mechanisms. And no matter how well sheltered and protected we feel, there is always a way to subvert our exterior and touch our true inner feelings of greatness and hopelessness.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't know about mad, but what about queasy? I think it was posted here on ATS before - The Hands Resist Him I don't know if it's becuase of reading about it before actually viewing the picture, but it seriously makes me feel

Here is a collection of eBay comments when the painting was put up for action a few years back, looks like I'm not alone.

Interesting none the less.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Resistance at the threshold is part 2 of "the hands resist him" mouse around the image for closeups. It is the same two characters years later.

The hands resist him definately has an interesting story.
More of a haunting then insanity but I know the boys eyes are creepy.

The painting appeared on eBay in February 2000. According to the seller, the aforementioned couple, the painting carried some form of curse. Their eBay description claimed that the characters in the painting moved during the night, and that they would sometimes leave the painting and enter the room in which it was being displayed. Included with the listing were a series of photographs that were said to be evidence of an incident in which the female doll character threatened the male character with a gun that she was holding, causing him to attempt to leave the painting[2][3]. A disclaimer was included with the listing absolving the seller from all liability if the painting was purchased.

Wiki

On topic, I think that a picture could possible cause insanity but it would either be because the picture itself (not the image) was somehow possesed with such power or evil
or
Psycological torture in being forced to look at it for days or to associate it in a way that would cause you to snap.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

A photo of Janet Reno just about caused me to commit suicide. lol. And Janet Napolitano's pic holding a shotgun almost caused my heart to fail. lol
No, seriously, I don't think an image of horrible things could drive insane. A series of paintings from the Russian Revolution in Life magazine in the early 1960's caused me much stress. But I recovered and as a history buff I think I can handle much. A picture I saw of a look a like of my girlfriend,when I was about 17,having sex with an old man just about drove me insane, but when I calmed down, I saw that I was wrong.

The closest I have come to being insane was when I stood back and looked at the destruction I was part of in a war.
That image will stay with me forever, but it will not cause me to go insane.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

there have been one or two avatars that have driven me insane - there's one - haven't been able to sleep right since I saw it

that part isn't really true - it's only partly true

but it's an interesting idea

movies, art - definitely symbols - the swastika...

I don't think an image can drive you insane - but I do believe an image can create an incredible amount of distress

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

There are pictures out there that can and do cause people to commit murder - and isn’t that a bit of insanity right there?

In the picture don't forget the two images hiding in the background.

Just like war which is an insane concept. People kill other people just for the sake of saying "this is mine". Now with high tech and nano tech and bio tech and emps the devil is produced in earth tone technicolor by people with illusions of grandeur and insecure egos who are threatened by a drop of truth.

Just like TV, or the false images created by the PTB who rule with sorcery. The truth is trampled by the lies that parade before our eyes. Crazy produces crazy.

Images have been hated for what they represent to the point that it caused people to destroy it like the nose of the Sphinx.

Also, considering the images on money, and the fact that drawings were first, so who knows what has been retained by the memory of the soul. I think it can have an ill effect on personal well being depending upon what is presented.

I hate some of the Avatars here on ATS and find some to be so disturbing that I slide the window over to avoid looking at them.

It is conditioning. It is the image we hold of ourselves that will determine how far one would go, after all, we all are a little crazy.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Siren]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I also would suggest anyone interested in this topic to read 1984, I just finished it and it is by far my favorite book, and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all that is contained therein. Also, I have had another idea about this topic. Perhaps there is a way to overcome all fears? I believe that fear is the root of insanity and that most if not all of us have some fear whether consciously aware of it or not. Sometimes people have such a tremendous fear of something that they will block it from their minds whenever possible, explaining why I believe someone can go insane from an image or symbol. Sometimes we do not recognize our fears as fears, but rather intelligence. Do we have the intelligence to survive or is it just the fear of death that keeps us so quick on our toes? I believe it is more so the latter. There is only one way that I think we can possibly overcome fear and that is with its opposite which is love. True love, unconditional love, selfless love. God is love not power.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

If one image could drive anyone insane, could that image escape the mind of the artist?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ever read any H.P. Lovecraft?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Can an image drive someone crazy?

You must have forgotten about the Mohummad Cartoons already.

They caused mass riots, burnings of buildings, and brought nations to the brink of war.

Over cartoon pictures.

www.humanevents.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5/2/09 by makeitso]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Those who remember the Ogrish.com site can attest to seeing some pretty disturbing things I gave seen some snuff videos that definitely shook me up.

A temporary insanity is definitely possible. It depends on the person and the subject matter - i suppose.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
There are a few paintings that do that without fail.

You know the picture where the doll/girl is holding a gun to the depressed looking boy?

They say that painting makes everybody feel uneasy, and has driven people quite insane. They say it's haunted, apparently what that doll is holding, is known to change.

That boy's eyes freaks you out though.

H.P Lovecraft writes about that exact stuff. Seeing complete and utter chaos, things completley so out of this word, they can not be understood by your senses. This is what I feel would happen to you if you saw an alien.

Real life isn't startrek, aliens would not look very human at all, living in a complete different atmosphere billions of lightyears away.

Would looking at one totally destroy our mind?

[edit on 10-5-2009 by CrygSol]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join