It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

787 first flight one step closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Dreamliner 1 (ZA001) is set to begin factory Gauntlet testing at 630am today. Sources to Flight confirmed that the flight test wiring was completed and panels were being closed up. They removed the ballast tanks to get an idea of the empty weight of the aircraft.

Factory Gauntlet consists of the following:

The factory gauntlet is the first stage of systems integration. The first phase, which takes place in doors, will test most, but not all, of the airplane's systems integrated on ZA001. The Flight Test team will look closely at the onboard systems and verify they function as expected. Most of the aircraft's systems will be tested and the aircraft's power will be drawn from ground cart and battery power. The engines and APU will not be turned on during the indoor phase of gauntlet testing.

After factory gauntlet testing comes intermediate testing, in which the APU and engines will be started.

The second phase of gauntlet testing will see ZA001 moved to the flight line where Dreamliner One will fueled up and run under its own power for the first time. The Hamilton Sundstrand Auxiliary Power Unit in the tail cone of the aircraft will be spooled up and will supply power to the aircraft's systems for continued integration testing. This phase of the gauntlet will also see the twin Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines powered up for the first time as well. This is an incredibly key series of tests that will serve to validate the integrated more electric aircraft systems architecture that is the foundation for the 787.

After the intermediate tests, they will run the aircraft for 8 straight days to see how systems hold up to continuous operation. Then come the fun tests. Under final testing they do the hot run, slow, medium, and high speed taxi tests.

At the same time, Dreamliner Two will be on the 767 line, undergoing ground vibration testing. This will include flutter tests to ensure that the wings don't shake themselves to pieces in flight.

ZY997 (static test airframe) must complete three tests before ZA001 can fly. First was the pressurization check, that was completed in September of 2008. The 1G check, was completed on March 20th. Next comes the 100% check, where they take the wing up to 100% of the maximum load expected in flight. After that will be the critical check, where they take it up to 150%. The critical check will take place after first flight.

Gauntlet testing
Gauntlet Hours away

On top of all this, the first production standard fuselage sections arrived in Everett. The twin aft barrels for ZA100 arrived at 96% completed.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Hmmm, just two months remaining before Boeings First Flight deadline of '2Q 2009', and a lot of work remaining...

Think they will do it?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

I think they're gonna get really close. It's going to depend on how long the gauntlet takes though. If all goes well with the engine tests, then I think they will. They're going to have to work their butts off though to do it.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

I think they're gonna get really close. It's going to depend on how long the gauntlet takes though. If all goes well with the engine tests, then I think they will. They're going to have to work their butts off though to do it.

The A380 finished gauntlet testing by January 20th, 2005, and didn't fly for another three months.

I think it will fly in July personly.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I'm not holding my breath on them making it, but I think that if they push, and everything goes right, they'll make it.

I think that Boeing HAS to either make it, or be just barely past their deadline, to rebuild a little confidence in the 787 program. Any more delays is just going to hurt them even worse than they've already been hurt by the delays to this bird.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Initially it was reported that it would take place in two 10 hours stages, but Boeing has said they have up to three days alloted for the factory gauntlet. They confirmed that the gauntlet has started, and everything is going well so far.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Anyone seen any information on:

a) how they intend to test for cracks?
b) crack growth allowables?

That will be what makes or breaks the 787 (and the A350... and the CSeries - see where I'm going with this?)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kilcoo316

I haven't seen details, but I assume that those will be dealt with on ZY997 during static testing. It sounds like they have a pretty extensive testing phase with that airframe, after first flight.

new topics

top topics

join