It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And you thought Obama's Ipod gift was bad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This gift was truly tasteless, if hilarious! Seems Hugo Chavez had a little gift for Obama that was "heartfelt".

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Bet Obama already had a copy or two of it already.

The English version of the tome, a well-known in leftist political circles, catapulted from 734th place to second place in just 24 hours on the online bookseller Amazon.com.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

The English version of the tome, a well-known in leftist political circles, catapulted from 734th place to second place in just 24 hours on the online bookseller Amazon.com.

That would be a bad thing? Why?

Understanding ones opponents and/or contemporaries is not a bad thing imo.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Next it'll be on the Oprah recommended reading list.... sheesh. I bet Chavez signed it and everything for him.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

That would be a bad thing? Why?

Understanding ones opponents and/or contemporaries is not a bad thing imo.

Did I say it was? Where?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
.... sheesh. I bet Chavez signed it and everything for him.

He did. Reading the source material is a beneficial thing.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

a well-known in leftist political circles,

Did I say it was? Where?

I inferred it from previous contributions to the board and the BOLD that you provided in the quoted material.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

a well-known in leftist political circles,

Did I say it was? Where?

I inferred it from previous contributions to the board and the BOLD that you provided in the quoted material.

Guess that's the power you have over us. We'd be 'moderated' for inferring something not proven.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Guess that's the power you have over us. We'd be 'moderated' for inferring something not proven.

What power? I'm posting as a member and am not able to moderate this thread because I'm contributing to it. You're going to have to do WAAAAYYYYY better than that to shut me up.

Now, can we get back to the topic? I'm not it.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

What power? I'm posting as a member and am not able to moderate this thread because I'm contributing to it. You're going to have to do WAAAAYYYYY better than that to shut me up.

Now, can we get back to the topic? I'm not it.

Sure. And lets try to not infer any false allegations on fellow forum members. Is that OK with you?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just when you thought world politics was dull. Didn't Chavez also hint at Bush being the devil at one time?
Saying something like, it smells like sulfur in here... He seems serious about it though, his hatred for the U.S. that is.

Here it is.. you might want to watch this if you've never seen it.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Last month Chavez also called Obama an ignoramus.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Chavez expelled its U.S. ambassador in September in a dispute over U.S. activities in his ally Bolivia, which also expelled its U.S. ambassador. Ecuador's left-wing President Rafael Correa this year kicked out a mid-ranking U.S. diplomat.

I have heard people say that Chavez is uniting much of SA. But is it Chavez that is uniting SA or is it due to the actions of the US in that region? Either way you have it, one thing is for sure and that is capitalism is not working so well for people in the region.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

c'mon man, its pretty obvious what you were getting at.
too bad if you feel a mod shouldn’t point out the obvious..

I mean you only need to look at your previous posts to see what your 'getting at' in all your Obama posts anyway.

I would think he'd appreciate his disinfo agents, like the dog woman, here at ATS quite a lot more than at huffy, kos or moveon; seeing as the people who frequent those sites are already Obama moonbats

I think Chavez is wanting to tutor Obama on overthrowing the Constitution, like he's doing in Venezuela, to become a 'lifetime President', aka a Dictator.

But, on topic...

"It's unlikely that as a consequence of me shaking hands or having a polite conversation with Mr. Chavez that we are endangering the strategic interest of the United States," Obama said.

God damn right.
About bloody time someone woke up and realised talking doesn’t mean your ignoring your countries health. Maybe this is what Chavez was getting at with the book?

I see the book, as Chavez looking to give Obama a lesson on why Southern America is the way it is today, corrupted by drugs, suspicion and death. The US has done bad things to its southern neighbour, things Obama probably knows nothing about.

I don’t expect Obama to do a 180 on policies and do what he can for the southern states, but if he's able to speak to the southern leaders with a clue on what happened and why, maybe they'd respect him enough to listen, instead of speak hatred.

Imagine if Bush had of done some reading into middle eastern affairs, hell, imagine if bush had of had a rough idea WHERE the middle east was..

Once again, people are looking and using any feeble and pathetic, badly spun headline to get their fix of '' Rubbish Obama daily ''

Ferris, im surprised you even had the nerve to pretend like you weren’t.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
C'mon man.

Criticizing Bush on geography?

How many U.S. states does Obama think there are?

Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I would have to say it would be a great gift, as Intrepid pointed out, understanding an opponent's point of view is necessary in life. Understanding different points of view makes for more enlightened negotiations.

Diplomacy is a strategic art. It is a difficult and long process that has to start somewhere. Small gestures such as the giving of gifts, even ones that on the surface may seem inappropriate, serves to thaw cold relationships and starts meaningful dialogue.

Chavez was giving Obama the views he feels in the subject. Diplomatically Obama would be wise to read the book, understand it's point so that diplomatic angles can be explored.

One does not have to go into a country guns blazing to get ones point across. Peace can be brought about with a feather better than with a knife. Perhaps our more conservative members on this site can realize that war isn't always the answer to our diplomatic problems.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I see the book, as Chavez looking to give Obama a lesson on why Southern America is the way it is today, corrupted by drugs, suspicion and death. The US has done bad things to its southern neighbour,

The book is what Chavez WANTS the world to think is going on. He wants the world to blame the USA. NO SELF RESPONSIBILITY FOR VENEZUELA OR CHAVEZ. He is trying to build his own legacy much the same way that US presidents build their own through faux-history in their presidential libraries and through spin.

Does the book admit Venezuela's wrong doing in the area? Does it admit to interfering with it's neighbors? Does it admit that Venezuela & Chavez train and sponsor anti-Colombian terrorists? Does it admit that Venezuela & Chavez sponsor drug runners who ship their goods into the USA? Does it admit that Venezuela & Chavez aid international terrorists and terrorists who disrupt Columbia and other countries in South America? Does it admit that Chavez is just a power hungry dictator-wanna-be who is taking away the rights of the people of Venezuela as well as taking away their privately owned business' through 'nationalization'?? Does the book discuss Chavezs ties to Iran and how both he and the leader of Iran gave speeches in front of massive crowds calling for the destruction of America? Does it admit the lies Chavez has told in order to gain power for himself and to find the scapegoat (USA) in which he wants to ride to dictatorship on the back of? Does it discuss how Chavez threatened to go to war with Columbia when Columbia hit FARC terrorist bases in Equador? Does Chavez give any proof to his claim to no longer support FARC terrorists? (I won't hold my breath on that one) Does he admit in his book that he's anti-jewish? Does he admit in his book to using Venezuelas oil money to fund and support anti-American terrorists?

CNN
US World and News Report
Chavez warns of war with Columbia
Weekly Standard
Weekly Standard ... Barney Frank says he loooooves Chavez ... that should tell ya'll something

In February, a Venezuelan Muslim, Hasil Mohammed Rahaham-Alan, was detained in London's Gatwick airport for stashing a grenade in his luggage. He was apprehended after disembarking from a British Airways flight that originated in Caracas. The British Mail reported that al Qaeda operates a training camp on the Venezuelan island of Margarita. The Venezuelan ambassador in London has obtained a "legal stop" preventing the newspaper from commenting on the article.

Also, the congressional signatories turn a blind eye to mountains of hard evidence--most supplied by U.S. allies in the Colombian government--confirming Chavez's support for the FARC and ELN terrorist networks. The Colombian government declared that the head of the FARC terrorist group, Manual Marulanda, is hiding in Venezuela, and the Colombian embassy in Caracas was bombed a day after Chavez made a blistering speech attacking Colombia. The Financial Times reported last week that the perpetrators of the bombing may be FARC terrorists or even members of the Venezuelan secret police. Yesterday in Colombia, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Roy Chaderton gave a press conference where he unequivocally stated that the Chavez government will not refer to the FARC Colombian terrorists as "terrorists," because the Chavez government wishes to remain "neutral."

Freedom Watch sues Chavez

A nonprofit group has sued Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez for alleged acts of terrorism and human rights violations, including conspiring with Colombian guerrillas, al-Qaida and the Taliban.

Judicial Watch
Chavez to United Nations (he's anti-Jewish)

things Obama probably knows nothing about.

No arguement there. Obama is a nitwit. He's playing 'catch up' because he doesn't know what the hell is going on in the world.

example - 'moderate taliban'.

[edit on 4/20/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Side note ... gotta say that when I saw the tape of Chavez giving Obama the book, Obama looked surprised and not happy about it. Chavez walked over ... Obama rose politely from his chair ... chavez shoved the book in Obama's hand and then proceeded to do one of those hand shake things while showing the cover of the book. It was more like watching a commercial for a book then an international act of diplomacy.

Obama's behavior in this matter was just fine.

Chavez, the giver of the book, acted like he wanted a photoop to sell more books. And I guess it worked. Amazon.com reports the book is at #2 today.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Side note ... gotta say that when I saw the tape of Chavez giving Obama the book, Obama looked surprised and not happy about it. Chavez walked over ... Obama rose politely from his chair ... chavez shoved the book in Obama's hand and then proceeded to do one of those hand shake things while showing the cover of the book. It was more like watching a commercial for a book then an international act of diplomacy.

Obama's behavior in this matter was just fine.

Chavez, the giver of the book, acted like he wanted a photoop to sell more books. And I guess it worked. Amazon.com reports the book is at #2 today.

You're right. Chavez is a celebrity whore and I within hours of that picture being released, it was up on Chavez's personal website. The guy is a sensationalist and says things that will get him a news headline.

The reason we cant just slap this guy in the face is because hes Americas 4th largest importer of oil.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Blog .... Chavez handshake may cost USA Billions

Before hailing Obama’s handshake with Chavez as a feat of statesmanship, perhaps we need a reality check. Why has the U.S. fallen out with Venezuela? Is it just our aversion to being branded a terrorist or murderous state? Or is it Chavez’ attack on the democratic institutions of Venezuela that has soured relations with this ever-more-powerful ruler? The World Democracy Audit, relying on findings from Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and others, ranks Venezuela 134 out of 179 countries in its propensity towards corruption — right up there with Bangladesh and above Sierra Leone and Liberia. In its democratic practices, Venezuela ranks 128 out of 179. The Heritage Foundation puts Venezuela 174th in its ranking of economic freedom; Iran is 168th.

More info at the blog .. such as Chavez needing the USA .. and needing good relations with Obama ... in order to bolster his financial situation.

Interesting.

Nothing is as it seems. Not even a handshake.
I figured he was trying to sell more of his book (which happened).
But it could be even more than that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join