It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama defends outreach to political enemies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Obama defends outreach to political enemies.

www.foxnews.com

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad -- Defending his brand of world politics, President Barack Obama said Sunday that he "strengthens our hand" by reaching out to enemies of the United States and making sure that the nation is a leader, not a lecturer, of democracy.

Obama's foreign doctrine emerged across his four-day trip to Latin America, his first extended venture to a region of the world where resentment of U.S. power still lingers. He got a smile, handshakes and even a gift from incendiary leftist
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Okay, there is more in the article. I just wanted to point out why we must not trust FAUX news or any other news source. The writer framed the article in a way to make you think that Venezuela is our enemy. So now we have to hate them. They say. We cannot open to them. I just think it goes to show once again there isn't any news source we can trust fully.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The tone of the article seemed to be that reaching out is a bad thing. After eight years of "if you're not with us, you're against us", we could use a friendlier representative for our country.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hey, if you can't beat em, join em!

I see you too are not afraid of posting something by foxnews.com.

I check it out now and then, along with the other MSM.

I just see this whole thing as my first line indicates.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
it seriously bothers me seeing obama shaking hands with chavez and kiss castros butt.

it seriously bothers me that obama and the political left is treating americas enemies better than they treat the republicans or the voice of dissent in america

us relations with va and cuba have not been ideal for decades before gwb and gwb gets the blame for the world hating us.

the left just doesnt get it and never will.

what i said will fall on deaf ears i know it but hey i posted it anyway.

i can see the next photo op shaking hands with the leader of hamas or irans leader or osama bin laden.

if you cant see the pattern here and seriously question what obamas real intentions are theres no hope for this country.

you should be asking yourself why isnt obama visiting more allied countrys in nato and trade partners ie to get us out of the econmic crisis.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by neo67]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by neo67

Do you think it really started with Bush? You should do some research on our interventions in other countries and you'll see why we're hated so much. It's not so much that we wanted to stop the Soviets but it's how we treated these countries once we were in there. We're also focusing on the political dissent here. I'm not part of the left. I'm an independent. It's not a left right thing that you're making it out to be. Secondly, Hugo Chavez is not our enemy. He never was. We create contexts where people are our enemies. I hope you realize this by now. And George W Bush is hated because he was a weak President. He let Russia get strong again, and he got us too bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan so now we couldn't focus on other countries like Iran or North Korea.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo67
it seriously bothers me seeing obama shaking hands with chavez and kiss castros butt.

What about when Bush was kissing Saudis? Did that bother you? Or is it just your own racism bothering you?

When people say 'There is just something about Obama that bothers me', thats called racism. Its called racism because you judge a person based on 'something about him' and not his politics.

Thats like saying Danica Patrick shouldnt drive in Nascar. Why? 'Its just not right'. Thats called sexism.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Simulacra

That's not true. There is something about Obama that bothers me and it isn't his race. It's his charisma that bothers me. I don't support politicians. I like it when they do good things. I praise Obama when he does well and I criticize him harshly when he does poorly. But making a blanket statement like "you're racist" when people say they don't like something about him is just silly. That's like saying "you hate religious people" when someone says they hate George W Bush.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

it seriously bothers me that obama and the political left is treating americas enemies better than they treat the republicans or the voice of dissent in america

I think I have seen Obama shake some republican hands.

Seriously, going to talk to people is just that. it neither confirms or denies any kind of situation.
South American has been ignored for far too long.

us relations with va and cuba have not been ideal for decades before gwb and gwb gets the blame for the world hating us.

No he doesn't get blamed with cuba or va. He gets blamed for everyone else.

the left just doesnt get it and never will.

What are they not getting? International relations?

what i said will fall on deaf ears i know it but hey i posted it anyway.

HUH? I didn't hear you.
j/k

i can see the next photo op shaking hands with the leader of hamas or irans leader or osama bin laden.

And what do you expect him to do when he meets another world leader? We do not have a beef with Iran, or a subsstantial one, so I don't know why he wouldn't shake his hand. Good heavens, that last thing I want is another weeks worth of threads over the misgreet of another president.

if you cant see the pattern here and seriously question what obamas real intentions are theres no hope for this country.

What, going to meet leaders of other countries? I think that is part of his job.

We are not 12 years old. We are not gaggling around and pointing fingers and making fun of the kid we don't like and ignore him.

How are you supposed to know opposition, advocates, friends or enemies if you never meet them?

you should be asking yourself why isnt obama visiting more allied countrys in nato and trade partners ie to get us out of the econmic crisis.

I believe he just did a nice long tour of our allies. And how is visiting trade partners gonna get us out of a crisis?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

awww look someone just HAD to pull the race card! BAM you get the gold star.
No, man its not called racism, do you even know what racism is?

THAT is called having biased or a prejudice, which is NOTHING like racism. If you are going to make accusations at least be accurate.

I dont think i like seeing that either, its nice to see people being more diplomatic, but ............There are some countries that you just CANT negotiate with, and people with terrorist agendas is one of them. People who have bashed on america and called for there downfall way before Bush or Obama, and hes having a party with all of em........i can see where its going, im amazed that so many cant.

Saying you need a kinlder gentler way of doing business with them is like saying youre going to hold hands with a murderer......next thing you know your just his next victim........but hey, what do I know.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Thats nonsense. Saying that "there is something about someone that I don't like" is not racist. It is no more racist that saying "there is something about her that I don't, therefore I won't ask her out" (or him out) is misogynist. Often in life you simply get a feeling about someone that does not agree with you. Its common and its natural. To suggest that should someone simply not like Obama means they are racist is simply nonsense. Most people, myself included, like Obama. I don't agree with many of his policies, but I think he is a decent and honorable person. Frankly, it is the hero worship of some of the folks who are his supporters that weirds me out. Being blind to someone is intellectually weak. Hating George Bush because he is George Bush is immature. You can hate his policies, you can hate every one of them. To hate him, the man is immature. Despite the fact that someone is President and you may hear him and read about him constantly, you know very little about the person. What you get is what they want you to get and that is manufactured. These are men with impossible jobs, flaws and I'm sorry for all of the Obama and Bush haters alike, inherent decent.

How about you get a handle on another argument other than "racist" when confronted with someone who disagrees with Obama, does not like him or has a problem with his policies. Frankly, when you suggest that the above items are racist, that by its nature is racist as it subtly implies that due to his race, he is beyond critism.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This whole GOOD vs BAD, LEFT vs RIGHT, REPUB vs DEMO, RED vs BLUE stuff is getting soooo old. Grow the F up and look towards the future. Try thinking for yourselves imagine for once that things CAN change.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
no substantial beef with iran??

you never heard of the iranian hostage crisis?
iran doesnt fund hamas?
iran doesnt say death to america hence the the skeletal statue of liberty painted on the walls of building etc

you never heard the hate speak agianst america and most notably at the un by ahmadinejiad and chavez and castro?

chavez him has raped,pillaged and plunder his people for his own glory and power and my president wants to make nice with him?

ahmadinejad latest one imprisoned a female dual citizen reporter "for so called spying" and his rhetoric calling for the destruction of isreal and america giving fighting proxy wars in lebanon

you say i shouldnt judge a people or peoples i never met ok why are you so quick to judge a people you never met as being so peaceful.

if liberals or democrats cant acknowlegde that america has threats and who they really are you will see the death of this country. simple fact not everyone likes our country or even wants peace with it.

for the record i dont want better relations va or cuba because the only 2 people who would benefit from it are chavez and castro the people would be screwed if you cant see that then...........

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

What about when Bush was kissing Saudis? Did that bother you? Or is it just your own racism bothering you?

When people say 'There is just something about Obama that bothers me', thats called racism.

Good thing Obama has shown those Saudi's that he will not kiss butt but instead bow to their king!

So let me get this straight, if you disagree with Obama then you are a racist?
Some of you left wing extremists sure need a new crutch because the race baiting is starting to get really old.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Stars for you for both the post in general and your commentary.

I don't know how the idiots like that congressman who criticized Obama for shaking hands with Chevaz even get elected.

Even at the height of the cold war we talked to the Soviets and we benefited from it.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Weren't we friends with Japan up until the moment they bombed Pearl Harbor? Bet if that happened today we'd try to open up multilateral talks through the U.N.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
for the record i have been called racist in this thread it should have bothered me but it didnt.

because it a sign of how desperate the left really is.

having said that if i said what bush had done "bothered" me not only would the left jumped on the bandwagon they would had gleefully cheered me on and not once would the racist term been used.

labels are only used when a side thinks they are losing support and want to drum up support they want you to hate and real hate clouds rational thought.

the left sure can dishout criticism and dissent but only if its a republican but sure cant take it when they are in power

i will continue to post on ats cause i am here like we all are we want to be heard.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo67

Star for you Neo! Don't let the name calling get to you. That's what they want so they can get the mods to drum you out of ATS, and quiet one more voice.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo67

Cheers to you for sticking to your guns. I have also been called a racist on ATS countless times since Obama was appointed. I have never been called a racist before in my brief 37 years of life. It is an old tactic that fails every time. ATS is full of race baiting and it is pathetic.

As for Obama's outreach to our "enemies". Obama is simply showing his true colors. The poor guy just wants everyone to like him. He has based is whole career on the notion of not ruffling any feathers. He claims to be a unifier and yet he has done nothing to unite capital hill and has driven more feathers and wedges into the cracks of our nation than any other president since Carter.

Sadly, he feels that reaching out to our enemies and throwing his own country under the bus is more important than reaching out across party lines on his own soil. He is showing an overall meekness that will most assuredly come back to haunt him. He will be used as simple fodder for our rivals and they will spit out whatever they are unable to chew.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I don't see why you people are complaining about this. I don't see what's wrong with going to people who we formally hated. Is it wrong for him to extend outreach to former enemies? Haven't you heard the quote "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer?"

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Frankidealist35]

top topics

join