It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution vs Creationism: Are We Beating A Dead Horse, Here?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
They're all equally correct. All of them are 100% true and a direct line to the gods.

SOURCE:www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
They're all equally correct. All of them are 100% true and a direct line to the gods.

SOURCE:www.abovetopsecret.com...'

I see you're weak on sarcasm detection. Try harder.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

You assume such exists. I make no such assumptions.

I can make such assumptions because of my life experience. I will stand by my conviction.

I have many atheist friends here on ATS. We learn from each other. The more I learn of science (I work in behavioral science) in all the many fields, I absolutely know my limitations. They often can talk easily over my head. The same is true of myself. I have very high abstract reasoning and can go as high in spiritual reasoning as one can handle.

The point is; to not block ourselves from learning by keeping the filters up. We only limit the learning process by self imposed walls.

I am very pragmatic and logical. I will always turn to logic and the wisdom I have gained over the popular group beliefs.

"When you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains however improbable must be true." - Sherlock Holmes

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
Literature that promotes this belief system.

I never read any at all

The Skeptic Society which meets in groups to discuss atheistic beliefs.

Never attended or even heard of one. Curious though...

What's on the meetings?

"OK, guys, there is no God, meeting over", lol, I mean really, what these beliefs are?

If it's a belief system, there must be some other stuff there besides "No God" thing, I been Atheist all my life and I really want to know ?

You have Pope Dawkins who actively promotes this faith. Just read his book; "The God Delusion." It is considered a new form of evangelizing and I find all of his parishioners doing the Dawkins talk, especially here on ATS.

Never read it, as a matter a fact, first time I heard of him was like year ago ... It must be American thing, when I was in Europe Atheism was never a big deal like here, most accept it as perfectly normal state of mind (default at birth even)...

Atheism is not denying existence of God IMO, it is absence of It in ones life (I never denied existence of It, but also never cared about it either), only theists call it denying because they "know" that God exist, and of course, anybody who refuses to believe what is "known" to "all" is then in denial

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

Well, I guess I know more about your "ahem," religion than you do! Hehehe.

In all seriousness, there are pamphlets, books and magazines. My family likes to leave them on the coffee table hoping I will read them! Reminds me so much of when I was Christian and used to do the same thing. Ahhh, what goes around comes around! I guess I am paying for it now.

Yes, there are indeed skeptic meetings! Do you know who in essence invented the term atheist? She is an interesting study!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

In all seriousness, there are pamphlets, books and magazines.

Again, never seen them

When I go to the hospital, visit a dentist or spend the night in hotel, however, there is ALWAYS copy or two of the Bible there, pamphlets, edition of the Bible for kids and 10 commandments on the wall...

I cannot even go to the public bathroom or a restaurant without finding Jesus saves pamphlets on the sinks and urinals.

What does it mean, why they are everywhere ?

Your comrads in arms beg to differ.
The New York City Atheists sponsor an "Atheist Lifestyle Discussion Group," which is currently attended by 15 to 16 individuals, and growing.

Wow, they must be on the brink of the extinction, that's like 0.00001 % of NY population, lol

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Missed the two words "and growing" huh?
In all seriousness it's an example of one group, it does not say that is all there is.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

When I go to the hospital, visit a dentist or spend the night in hotel, however, there is ALWAYS copy or two of the Bible there, pamphlets, edition of the Bible for kids and 10 commandments on the wall...

I cannot even go to the public bathroom or a restaurant without finding Jesus saves pamphlets on the sinks and urinals.

What does it mean, why they are everywhere ?

Do you live in the Bible belt? Oh, right! Think you mentioned Europe? Sorry!

I don't know where you live or visit, but I find it interesting that you find the 10 Commandments on the wall and pamphlets everywhere.

Yes, there are Christian soldiers all over the world, eh? Admittedly, Christians have had a much longer history doing so.

It wasn't until Madalyn Murray O'Hair who founded the American Atheist Organization (who I was speaking of earlier) - who kinda put atheism on the map because of her being responsible for taking prayer out of the schools, etc. that drew much attention to atheists as a group/organization/religion.

She became noted as; "The Most Hated Woman in America!" She was murdered in 1995.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It's always the same

Creationist: "OMG there's no evidence for evolution. Jesus4life!!"
Rational mind: "Yes there is evidence. There's a friggin' ton of evidence.

Ratinal mind lists some undeniable evidence. Creationist returns in a few weeks and ignores the reply and starts from beginning:

"OMG OMG NO TEH EVIDEEENCE!"

[edit on 3-5-2009 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphetShe became noted as; "The Most Hated Woman in America!" She was murdered in 1995.

"God did it."

Apparently killing for Jesus is just as acceptable as lying for Jesus. The nutter in Operation Rescue have proved that point.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Apparently killing for Jesus is just as acceptable as lying for Jesus. The nutter in Operation Rescue have proved that point.

Admittedly, she wasn't killed for her beliefs, but I believe a "nutter" in her church - hehe, bookkeeper or some such had a vengeance for her. I would have to re-read about it. I actually did a lot of research on her many moons ago.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

It isn't about religion versus science. It's about religion versus religion, that being the religious belief system of atheism against the religious belief system of theism.

If religion was simply a stance "god exists" then I suppose you could call atheism a religion. Of course this is not the case. Religions come with ridiculous stories and dogmas and such and thus atheism is not one of them.

If somebody simply states "I think there is a God" I can respect that as much as I hope this guy respects my stance of "I think there's no God" (well there's still that ultimate Boeing 747 issue). However once this guy starts telling me ridiculous stories of what this God character has done or wants us to do and how people walked on water and camels flew my respect is gone.

..that rhyme was unintentional

[edit on 7-5-2009 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by X-tal_Phusion
Is there anything to be gained from discussing this anymore or are we just beating a dead horse? Opinions, please!

whats to be gained, headaches, my good man, Head Aches.

the good of the beating is in the exercise one gets from trashing the horse, not in the expectation that the horse will rise due to the trashing. if one is to beat a horse, is it not rather more humane to beat a dead horse rather than a live example of the species?

dead horses makes me go all victorian in me words that i be using, gov'ner.

most people don't discuss this subject in order to make headway in the discussion or their own understanding, they discuss it as a way to show how smart/saved/righteous/brave/wise/enlightened they are.

not that i'm not guilty of all the above, i probably am from time to time, just an observation.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
"What is the purpose of beating a dead horse?"

"It serves as a lesson to the other horses."

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Rrrriiiggghhhhtttttt. Since when do you break a horse by making it watch another getting broken? Seems to me that would make the process easy to the point of silliness should it be true.
It serves NO GOOD purpose other than making the beater feel better.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Rrrriiiggghhhhtttttt. Since when do you break a horse by making it watch another getting broken? Seems to me that would make the process easy to the point of silliness should it be true.
It serves NO GOOD purpose other than making the beater feel better.

You should look up allegory. It's hidden in a book called the dictionary. Then you might be able to see the point.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

You mean the book you don't touch as I have shown in that other thread? Are we done with the childish ad hom bs now?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Whenever you want to stop the childish ad homs, I'm sure we'd all be pleased. So, have you looked up allegory yet?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Sure, if you look up the meaning of the word projection, particularly the psychological term.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join