It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution vs Creationism: Are We Beating A Dead Horse, Here?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

You can say the same thing about the Celine Dion Fan Club. Do you consider that a religion? Or are you desperate to prop up your position?

Anything that anyone does religiously can be considered their religion (using the term loosely). It may have nothing to do with God or anything outside ourselves.

You might want to read the definition of religion again. No need to be contentious. The truth is the truth, regardless of what we want the truth to be.

It is okay that some may view atheism as a form of religion. So what?

It takes a certain amount of strict adherence and research, with guidelines, along with views that are taught and often promoted, that may fit a segment of society that preaches and teaches the same philosophy. This then, can be termed an unorthodox religion, one based on the elimination of a higher power in its beliefs, but a religion nonetheless.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
religion

SYLLABICATION: re·li·gion
PRONUNCIATION: r-ljn
NOUN: 1a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

That's the prime definition of religion and the one I'm using. If you want to, once again, use custom definitions then I can only think that you are attempting to cover up the fact that you have realized atheists AREN'T religious, no matter how important that would be to you.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

Great crapaganda there. Too bad it's completely false.

re⋅li⋅gion   /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially *NOT exclusively* when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion. *sounds like Atheism fits here*
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. *and here*
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice. *and here as well*
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow

SOURCE:dictionary.reference.com...

No where do I see the criteria you outlined. I do think it's funny how atheists pretend they are above religion though all the while being proactive about shoving their ideas down everyone else's throat. Doesn't take much looking around to notice that they act no different then those they demonise. And I am not a religious leader and nor do I listen to them I might add despite your rather obtuse attempt to hint say otherwise, I prefer to think for myself thank you very much.

And Gawdzilla you can play pick and choosies with definitions in a rather lousy attempt to semantically defend your preconceptions all you wish.
Doesn't make you correct.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Keep trying, even if you fail all the time. It makes you a better person I hear.

You can't lower me to theism, I outgrew it. Atheism is, at most, a hobby. Before the nutters started trying to replace science with the great sky fairy, I used to say, "I'm not religious enough to consider myself an atheist." See if you can figure that one out.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Rrrrriiiiiggghhhhhhtttttt. Funny you can't refute my argument with anything more than, "Well, it's just not.".
And considering the time you spend promoting your religion on these boards, well, it's funny how lost their own bs people can become. Saying one thing and acting in another is called hypocracy kiddies.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Rrrrriiiiiggghhhhhhtttttt. Funny you can't refute my argument with anything more than, "Well, it's just not.".
And considering the time you spend promoting your religion on these boards, well, it's funny how lost their own bs people can become. Saying one thing and acting in another is called hypocracy kiddies.

The only "point " you have is hidden. You don't have a support for your thesis, so you fall back on "I know you are, but what am I"? Sorry.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Keep telling yourself that skippy. Might become true if you wish hard enough. I supplied cited sources and information, you provided "Cause I say so.". And when did you call me a hypocrite exactly? I missed that.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Ad homs aside, just do this for me.

Prove I'm religious. Good luck with that.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Reread my response to 5th.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
humans are so advanced from monkeys that evolution i do believe in. but there is something missing. a link when i think about it unless 1 species is running around find a new place and evole with the enviroment but with these chimps unless something dies out or move around which chimps didnt die out or move around so wat could have happened so if you believe in aliens why couldnt one make love or put some of its reproducing mechanism in a chimp. chimps had no reason to evolve and with dinosaurs if a ton died out how did so much come out of all those deaths of so many species. maybe aliens have been monitoring us for millions if not billions of years or it was some organisms on the comet but i have no idea how they survived the impact

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

That's a fail. Why don't you ask your god to show me the light? To prevent your god from looking like a total loser? Oh, that's right, it don't answer prayers. Why is that? Because it don't exist.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Geee wonderfully delusional strawman you have constructed here friend. I have not stated my beliefs to you and neither am I inclined to because of your past performances.
So, are you going to refute my information or simply attempt to dodge it with declarations of "It just aint!" or attacking what you believe to be my belief system.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You have a nice life, you hear?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Buhbye now. Enjoy your retreat.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Why does one have to believe in God to believe in life after death of the present body.
It is really elementary physics.
Energy cannot be destroyed.

Why should life on Earth have to have begun here?

The Universe is infinite so yes, creation-vs-evolution is beating a dead horse. You can never know how it all began.
Live with it.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

I couldn't agree more but I will add the fight is at it's very roots a fight about who sounds "correcter" and conversion of others.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It is actually irrelevant as to whether atheism is an actual religion and it seems to be rattling a few cages!

One of the biggest lessons I have learned in my life is;

Denial will not stop reality! Denial has no power over what is actual truth. It has become my CHOICE to accept that which I cannot change, and to accept that which is truth.

There are no "gaps" in evolution if we include a power with consciousness. There is logical and intelligent understanding of consciousness and imagination, and creativity, along with reasoning capabilities, if one can allow oneself to accept the obvious. The job is; overcoming all the brainwashing. Atheists seem to be challenged by this!

My whole goal in my life is to search for truth. I used to be part of the machine called Christianity and was shown to leave it behind, and to search out other variables. I cannot impose my drive onto those who are more comfortable in their beliefs.

But...so many say; "Why bother? We will never know!" Please speak for yourselves! Because...great minds DO want to know, and will not be stopped.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

"There are no "gaps" in evolution if we include a power with consciousness. "

So, what "gaps" do you think require a consciousness? Is there a step in evolution that says, "And then a miracle occurs"?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

So, what "gaps" do you think require a consciousness? Is there a step in evolution that says, "And then a miracle occurs"?

No, how about the greatest scientist (the inventor of science) of all, steps in and helps his creation along?

We find the correlation with modern day scientists working in their labs. Working with organisms in a petri dish. Their goal would be to create a higher mutated organism while removing the unhealthy organisms to reduce contaminating the healthier specimens.

He may have to do many experiments to achieve his desired results. But the point is; he used his power of consciousness to create or explore a potential to create a self contained homeostasis environment that is self sustaining, once it reaches a level that he as a scientist wants.

Think of the Source/God/Infinite in this matter and it or he won't seem so airy fairy.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

"No, how about the greatest scientist (the inventor of science) of all, steps in and helps his creation along? "

You assume such exists. I make no such assumptions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join