It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The older the better?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ok, part of this is just a personal rant (sry for that)

I often see people use "old stuff" to try and proof their theories:

if it's in the bible it must be true and if it isn't in there literally, then we switch a few words, spell them backwards, do some numerology on them and we MAKE them fit our views (because the bible is an oooold book so there must be truth to it)
Same thing for other religions.
Let's not forget that it's not the 'oldest' one out there....

In magic it's the same: if it was done that way 1000 years ago then it must be good... Eliphas Levi, Salomon, etc....
If it's a 3000 year old myth then there must be truth to it...

etc etc

but seriously
do you really believe that if old civilisations had that much more truth or knowledge the world today would be as it is?
I mean, right now, we live in an era with technology, science and healthcare that wouldn't even be imaginable to the 'old civilistions'.

for me personally the phrase "the older the better" just doesn't ring true... but other opinions are welcome, ofcourse

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
You know that saying your mother always told you "I have eyes in the back of my head, so dont do anything when you think i'm not lookin!"

Well people have really these days started looking back, looking for wisdom in ancient civilizations, (people who also believed a giant sea god would come out of the oceans and eat them).

It's this hesitation of looking forward that scares the bajesus out of me, but Michio Kaku if I listen to him talk, I get a breathe of relief.

I wish people would stop looking for ancient wisdom of people who think you can get rid of AIDS by intercourse with a virgin. Or by dancing around moving your arms just right you can make rain, or stop the Volcanoe from erupting.

I think truly people find science too boring, I know I know, enchantments miracles and curses are much more exciting, but honestly science has taken over. (Religous people don't flame me)

To see it as I see it.
www.tbs.com...#/all-video/shows/family-guy/58125
watch from 43-48.

its the volcano part.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

i agree a 100% with about 95% of your post you bring up a great point, with alot of alternitive topics, the mind sees what it wants to see.

the bible is not the best source to quote with this though. and let me tell you why. a great deal of the bible has been proven by sicence as historicly correct. is it a book that tells a great story about the one true GOD, well that is up to the reader. is it a historical doucment that tells of the past hundreds of years ago, well as science progresses in that area it would seem so.

otherwise what a great point you bring up. i think i will enjoy sitting back and seeing what others have to say..

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
double post sorry

[edit on 15pmu52007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Another related issue are figures and pictures of old. Yes, they can be depicting a reptilian/astronaut/whatever. But why couldn't they be just artistic? What would they say of Dali then, millions of years from now?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seb2882
Another related issue are figures and pictures of old. Yes, they can be depicting a reptilian/astronaut/whatever. But why couldn't they be just artistic? What would they say of Dali then, millions of years from now?

Well I found a video call Ancient Aliens, ill find the clip it explains a lot!!

video.google.com...#

Here we go, it actually pointed me in the alien way majorily after watching this video.

And was very surprising to learn this.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

To see it as I see it.
www.tbs.com...#/all-video/shows/family-guy/58125
watch from 43-48.

its the volcano part.

that video link isn't working, can you repost ?

I really have no clue who Michio Kaku is, guess I go google :p

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

no one who believes the bible would agree with my post, neither do wicca's, pagans and everyone else who's beliefs are based on the 'old days' so to speak... was just picking some examples

is it a book that tells a great story about the one true GOD, well that is up to the reader. is it a historical doucment that tells of the past hundreds of years ago, well as science progresses in that area it would seem so.

What is proven by science exept for hystorical places and life circomstances from that time? What about Genesis, that's not proven at all... I guess what I'm trying to say is, that for the believers it will always be the truth....

Place a figure like B. Goodschild in the ancient past with her current ideas, if she's lucky to get some people and maye a religious institution to listen to her in that time then we would probably have a entire different set of religion right now, lol... that is if someone would have written it all down

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

The ancients were much more advanced than we are as they were more spiritual.

1. Archeologists have discovered surgeons tools from ancient Rome. They performed successful heart and eye surgeries among other procedures.

2. Cancers and other diseases we have today were not common back in ancient times.

3. They may not have had Ipods and flat screen TVs, but they were quite advanced in the arts and sciences. Astrology and alchemy were high sciences back then, and some experts today state those sciences had something to them.

4. There is a difference between spiritual and material growth. They were spiritual, and we are very materialistic. We have lost our inner selves and our connection to nature and the universe. The ancients had that connection with the area they lived in.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I totally agree with your point 4, though I wouldn't go to ancient Rome to have heart surgery tbh

Don't get me wrong, I am a very spiritual person, but my beliefs come from my own experiences and most of them where internal. Maybe I got them in the same way as everyone else does... and maybe it's the only way to get them.

I think that if that ever-changing wisdom was to be found in an ancient manuscript then it would have changed the world by now, from highly material to a much more natural state...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

What is proven by science exept for hystorical places and life circomstances from that time? What about Genesis, that's not proven at all... I guess what I'm trying to say is, that for the believers it will always be the truth....

that is exactly what i was trying to say. i guess i didnt try hard enough. the exidus was proven but it seems the the Jews were willing workers not slaves. and the places and people and way of life sheds new and great light in that area and as more research is done with the book as a historical book and not the fiction i think the book will be excepted by more people if only in that light. sure i may be wrong about that but that is just how i see it as a reader of the book. i will admit to me it is more that just a history book but i also see the scientfic value of it.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Actually there was a high survival rate to the surgeries that were done in the ancient times. They actually sterilized the equipment and did the operations in the sunlight. The scars would then heal under the healing powers of the sun. The sunlight also killed off germs that lead to infections.

Archeologists found where the hospital was and how they performed such operations. If one is a time traveler, it would be better to get sick in the ancient Roman times than the Medieval times.

top topics

join