It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does the mind begin and end?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I read a very interesting article yesterday entitled, "How Google Is Making Us Smarter: Humans are natural-born cyborgs, and the Internet is our giant extended mind". It really made me think about the boundaries of the human mind.

Most medical professionals would consider the boundaries of the mind to end where the skull begins. Yet, when we utilize tools (from sticks to cursors on the computer screen), the boundaries of our mind expand to engulf them-- they become an extension of our minds beyond the boundaries of our bodies. This notion causes me to question other types of phenomena which are part of the human condition.

If our minds have the capacity to reach out from beyond the isolation of our skulls through the utilization of tools, just how far can we push the boundaries?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
There is no limit to the mind. Try not to confuse the mind and the brain. The whole human body, including the brain, are tools for the mind. Consciousness. That is the simplest form of what we are.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The limit of the mind, is a self-imposed limit. Think about the mind as a massive quantum computer, and it is rendering a view for the the observer which is us as we perceive ourselves.

When we close our eyes, we can see a blank screen and on that blank screen there is a canvas of our mind.

On that canvas we can start to imagine our thoughts, faint images and ideas will start to appear ghost like at first.

As we relax, this canvas starts to become more bright, more colorful and we can project more and more information onto it.

We start to give the canvas dimensionality, and these thoughts can project into dreams, and advance structures of organized thoughts.

Within all of this, our mind exists within a singularity, yet we are producing a vision of thought that now has spacial, and temporal qualities.

Where does it end, we can now step into this canvas and walk in a park. Sit by the sea side and watch the ocean surf crash upon the waves.

None of it existing other then in our own mind, all of it a dream we created. A dream merely representing thoughts and ideas constructed by our own fancy.

The limit then, is only the limit we impose.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
So can we now start to view our minds as infinite sources of creativity?

There was never a need for religion or idols because we are all knowing and all powerful beings?

To me it appears as if we are all a person within a person.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I wouldn't force any limits on our creativity. It's limits are much more easy to define then how unlimited it really is.

The person within a person analogy is not new, in fact in a holographic universe, we are all a copy of an original hologram.

A physicist named Dr. Thomas Campbell said that we are in a dream within a dream, and I concur.

All parts of one Universal whole. If we can accept that the universe is both outside and inside of us thanks to quantum entanglement.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
So let's talk about the tools that help make the mind what it truly is. I'm talking about thoughts here. Could it possibly be that our natural human ability to think is underated? Are our thoughts alive and there is no known last thought so the mind is a continuous evolving instrument?

Is this the reason why mankind is forced to worship because it controls the populations thoughts?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrangeJuice
Could it possibly be that our natural human ability to think is underated? Are our thoughts alive and there is no known last thought so the mind is a continuous evolving instrument?

Is this the reason why mankind is forced to worship because it controls the populations thoughts?

That's actually a really interesting point. Sometimes I think people are afraid to extend their minds too far on their own. It could seem like a really frightening thing to look into infinity and not see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel (the "final thought"). Having others to do that with (i.e., in a congregation) could be like a security blanket to some people. Since the journey is laid out for them and guidance is provided through members of the clergy, people who worship as members of organized religion feel safe.

On the other hand, those who choose to break free from organized religion in search of their own spiritual identity are pioneers, in a sense. They're not afraid to strike out on their own in a strange land, so to speak.

Hard-core scientists, on the other hand, seek to find the underlying patterns in reality. They are not as concerned with the journey itself as they are with the mechanisms which govern it.

Everyone uses tools to explore their environment. Whether those tools are practical (like a hammer) or symbolic (like a scepter or book) they are all extensions of who we are and how we interact with the universe.

new topics

top topics

join