It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity and Free Will - Hand In Hand...Right?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Can somebody explain to me how free will is possible if God is omniscient. Omniscient means that the great surveillance camera at the sky knows among other things everything that has happened, everything that happens and everything that will happen. If this is the case and the great surveillance camera knows what you're going to do like a 1000 years before you're even born where is your free will at?

Conclusion:

1. Either God isn't omniscient (Bible claims he is)
or
2. We have no free will (I think Bible claims we do)

or
3. Bible ought to be called "The Stories of the Desert People" and Christianity is just a weird crowd control tool developed to serve the elite.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by rhinoceros]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
OR

Not everything in the universe operates according to the parameters and understanding contained within the human mind...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
God is all knowing. We have our free will choice today. God see/knows the choice we make. Back at the beginning of time He "saw" the choice we would make today. Lack of free will would mean that He made the choice for us.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mahree

I don't see what this has to do with my OP, but thanks.

My beliefs are still the same, and I don't think I'm any closer to understanding the hows and whys of other people's beliefs.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Hi maus,

Yes, Jesus is our saviour, and yes, you are right in your beliefs. I am also sick about starving children - do you realise that the wealthy of this world could save the children, and do not?

I think we have just got to carry on, and try and help people.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

I don't think it's fair to just blame the wealthy. Everyone is to blame, minus the children who are starving. See my signature. Every time someone eats a hot dog, or a baloney sandwich, they are literally taking food out of the mouths of children.

Children that, if well fed and educated, would have less children, and be able to properly feed and educate them. It's a cycle that could be changed at any time, if the majority cared enough to do so. It isn't idealistic, altruistic, naive, and doesn't take a bleeding heart - just (what should be) common decency.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

some people just feel more than you? listen the things your asking about,why this, why that.is god suppose to run around and clean up all the messes man makes. he's not a genie but he's not some divine custodian either.it's all about knowing where to place the blame first pal.and the blame is on us. get that right then maybe you can ask some questions.

just (what should be) common decency.
you see this is something some men don't have.not something
God dosn't have

[edit on 22-6-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You either a) have extremely low reading comprehension, or b) didn't bother reading my post.

Either way, your reply makes zero sense, and you should move on now.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

this thread isn't completely coherent
i guess maybe this sums it up then.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's coherent enough, if you'd bother reading it before putting in your nonsensical two cents. Please move on, it's extremely rude to hijack someone's thread with garbage posts!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
According to the bible, the ten commandments were a schoolmaster to bring people unto christ. We are now no longer bound by the ten commandments.

The purpose of the law of Moses - The ten commandments.
Galatians 3:21, (King James Version)

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Galatians 3: 10-11 (King James Version)
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Acording to the bible, the only one that has ever lived on earth and hasn't broken the ten commandments is Jesus Christ.

How God makes people right.
Romans 3:21-28 (King James Version)

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

According to the Bible, we are all sinful before we leave our mothers' womb, because we are all descenants of Adam and Eve. That's why humans die, because the penalty for sin is Death. Genesis 2:16-17

Only by having sincere belief and faith in Jesus Christ can people, at the time of judgement, be cleansed of their sins and have eterrnal life.

John 3
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 14
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

John 1 (King James Version)
1 In the beginning was the Word [Christ], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

And as for the trinity:
www.carm.org...

i.The Trinity doctrine is arrived at systematically (by looking at the whole of scripture), not by looking at a single verse. Therefore, you won't see a single verse that says it. Also, this demonstrates that you don't understand the Trinity.

A. The Trinity is one God who exists simultaneously in three persons. Each is coequal, copowerful, and coeternal with the other. Each person, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is not the other. Without either there is no God; all comprise the one God.

B. Analogy of the Trinity: With time, for example, the past is distinct from the present, which is distinct from the future. Each is simultaneous. Yet, they are not three 'times,' but one. That is, they all share the same nature: time.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

When you wake up every day you're faced with choices. You could make coffee or drink orange juice. You could drive or bike to work. You could choose to read this novel or that novel. God knows every choice you'll make, but that doesn't mean you aren't free to choose.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Pretty young? I started reading on this site since I was around 15. 29 is not that young to be pondering these kind of things
Oh forgive me...

Anywho, more on topic, based on Kabbalah it says we seemingly have free will, but God controls everything. I don't believe in sin really, since following rules like a dog, rules that no human can follow adequately and having to pray for forgiveness for, seemed fruitless. I didn't and don't think that was the mission of Jesus. The Church and Christian culture pollutes more often than not Christianity, and the mistakes gets repeated over and over and gets mistaken for truth. Something for people to consider.

A good question would be where does desire come from. Do we control what we enjoy? You look at homosexuality as an example. The desire for a relationship for another man was not created by the gay person. Just like if someone likes a certain food and hates others, they don't choose that. Since actions are determined first by a desire, if the desire is out of our hands, then we don't have free will since the action is a response from the lack and a desire to be filled.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by maus80

Who would want to be favored by God over sick and starving children across the world? Why would God provide anything for someone, who by world standards, had lived an incredibly privileged and comfortable life?

Why would God help or hinder in a physical, tangible way - wouldn't doing so at all to be tantamount to a complete destruction of free will, ie an end to absolute causation?

Please, enlighten me, I have yet to understand or accept the other side of this coin; That we are but puppets and everything is planned, that some are favored more than others, and that we are to blame for our troubles but not to take credit for our triumphs.

Save yourself.

You might never be saved if you wait for God.

The world is a bad place, get over it and carve out your own little piece of heavan.

Too bad about all them poor and sick people heh? Sucks to be them.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by In nothing we trust]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join