It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN torture investigator: Obama has broken International law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

UN torture investigator: Obama has broken International law

www.prisonplanet.com

The United Nation’s top torture investigator has suggested it is illegal under International law for President Barack Obama to announce that the United States government has no intention of prosecuting low-level CIA officers who carried out torture sanctioned by the Bush Administration.

President Barack Obama’s release on Thursday of four Bush administration memos sanctioning torture has been widely praised. However, word that government will go so far as to offer a fully-paid legal defense for agents who applied torture techniques to terror war prisoners has triggered loud criticism.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
LOL, tell us something we don't already know.

The question is, WHO IS GOING TO ACTUALLY ENFORCE THE LAW?

These criminals are all covering for one another, because they are ALL guilty and complicit in these crimes against humanity...

It is going to take a FOREIGN, independent investigation and prosecution team to finally bring these thugs to justice and enforce any type of accountability for these endless grotesqueries.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
When it comes down to it the only thing that really matters is military strength.

Ya the UN could ask for an investigation, but then America would say no and that would be the end of it.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That would be so , but it would also reduce his 'I am not Bush' factor amongst foreign governments and diplomats . He wants to rebuild bridges with Europe and nations that the USA has ostracized and alienated , he'll have to show he means it. If he wants to carry on with the breaking of international law legacy left to him by Bush.. then he may find cooperation with certain agendas may not go as smoothly as he may like.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Drexl]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
That article is wrong.

It's not illegal for the US to not prosecute ANY of it's US citizens. Obama can pardon who ever he wants for any offense comitted. The UN is just flailing their arms attempting to get some sort of resolution from this Gitmo BS.

It's just not going to happen. We will NEVER see anybody go to jail, anybody prosecuted or any sort of public admitance of torture by the US. Never, never never.

We might as well get use to the idea now. Obama is just another puppet, and I am sure as Gitmo is being taken down there's another "detention" center going on in some remote part of the planet to take over.

Closing Gitmo is probably the smartest thing he could have done, since the facility became known for it's medieval ways they haven't been able to do the things they've wanted.

Now with the UN breathing down other countrie's throats to get indictments just isn't going to work.

Arm Flailing, it's all this is.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The UN has no right to point it's finger at anyone.

The UN is a corrupt cesspool of politicians breaking laws.

For anyone at the UN to complain about anyone else is pathetic.

They need to clean up their own mess before they complain.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Oh no! The UN thinks we broke international law. You know what happens when you upset the UN? That's right, they write you letter stating how upset they are.

What a worthless organization the UN is.

I saw the report about the alleged torture, and the funny thing is I didn't see anything that resembles torture. Now being put into a box with a caterpiller would be downright terrifying,
, but definately not torture.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well tell the big bad UN come get them.

What an absolute joke.

This is how we know Obama's doing a good job, the elite organizations are pointing fingers at him.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
That article is wrong.

It's not illegal for the US to not prosecute ANY of it's US citizens. Obama can pardon who ever he wants for any offense comitted. The UN is just flailing their arms attempting to get some sort of resolution from this Gitmo BS.

It's just not going to happen. We will NEVER see anybody go to jail, anybody prosecuted or any sort of public admitance of torture by the US. Never, never never.

We might as well get use to the idea now. Obama is just another puppet, and I am sure as Gitmo is being taken down there's another "detention" center going on in some remote part of the planet to take over.

Closing Gitmo is probably the smartest thing he could have done, since the facility became known for it's medieval ways they haven't been able to do the things they've wanted.

Now with the UN breathing down other countrie's throats to get indictments just isn't going to work.

Arm Flailing, it's all this is.

~Keeper

You are exactly, exactly right on the money with that post. Obama can pardon whoever he wants to pardon. He can prosecute or not. It is completley up to him.

Also, keep in mind the article comes from prisonplanet..... Not exactly a pro authority website.... Gee you don't think they are a little biased against government do you?

Anyway, you are right on the money. This is really to be expected. The better he does the more the "elite" are going to try to knock him down. It is just a lame attempt to distract us from their own illegal activity.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Everybody keeps talking about prosecuting Bush and his administration over torture, which I think should be done, but what about that war he got us into? Anybody remember that? We're still there now, and it was over a lie. PBS even did a documentary about how the Bush administration altered the intelligence documents, and nobody seems to care.

edit - I just found the video, but I don't want to get this thread too off topic, so I'll start a new thread on that soon.

[edit on 4/19/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
European Nations May Investigate Bush Officials Over Prisoner Treatment

BERLIN, April 21 -- European prosecutors are likely to investigate CIA and Bush administration officials on suspicion of violating an international ban on torture if they are not held legally accountable at home, according to U.N. officials and human rights lawyers.

Many European officials and civil liberties groups said they were disappointed by President Obama's opposition to trials of CIA interrogators who subjected terrorism suspects to waterboarding and other harsh tactics. They said the release last week of secret U.S. Justice Department memos authorizing the techniques will make it easier for foreign prosecutors to open probes if U.S. officials do not.

Some European countries, under a legal principle known as universal jurisdiction, have adopted laws giving themselves the authority to investigate torture, genocide and other human rights crimes anywhere in the world, even if their citizens are not involved. Although it is rare for prosecutors to win such cases, those targeted can face arrest if they travel abroad.

Martin Scheinin, the U.N. special investigator for human rights and counterterrorism, said the interrogation techniques approved by the Bush administration clearly violated international law. He said the lawyers who wrote the Justice Department memos, as well as senior figures such as former vice president Richard B. Cheney, will probably face legal trouble overseas if they avoid prosecution in the United States.

"Torture is an international crime irrespective of the place where it is committed. Other countries have an obligation to investigate," Scheinin said in a telephone interview from Cairo. "This may be something that will be haunting CIA officials, or Justice Department officials, or the vice president, for the rest of their lives."

Manfred Nowak, another senior U.N. official who investigates torture accusations, said the Obama administration is violating terms of the U.N. Convention Against Torture by effectively granting amnesty to CIA interrogators. He said the United States, as a signatory to the treaty, is legally obligated to investigate suspected cases of torture. He also said Washington must provide compensation to torture victims, including al-Qaeda leaders who were waterboarded.

"One cannot buy the argument anymore that this does not amount to torture," he said. "These memos are nothing but an attempt to circumvent the absolute prohibition on torture."

Continued Here

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I guess I will echo the comments already stated..

We are worried about torture????? Which is a DERIVATIVE OF THIS WHOLE BULL**** WAR/9/11 psuedo propaganda machine?

This sounds like disinfo to keep us away from the real ghosts..

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

I saw the report about the alleged torture, and the funny thing is I didn't see anything that resembles torture. Now being put into a box with a caterpiller would be downright terrifying,
, but definately not torture.

OK, I guess you wouldn't mind if I came over to your house and waterboarded you for a few hours. You know, its not really torture, think of it as a refreshing way to cool off.

Then you can strip down to your skivvies and I'll shove you repeatedly into a wall. Don't worry though, I'll let you wear a neck brace so you don't get whiplash... while I shove you into a wall.

Oh and about sleep deprivation, you can be guaranteed I would never allow you to go more than eleven days without sleep.

Oh and by the way, the insect thing was actually never used: Source

You might think its not torture sitting in your armchair, but somehow I think if it happened to you your smart little attitude would have a bit of an adjustment. Just thinking out loud here.

And to get on topic, I think this is a good message to send out, as its absolutely despicable that Obama, after releasing these memos, is refusing to prosecute the people who carried out these illegal acts. And we definitely need to prosecute all of the higher level officials who forged intelligence reports and got us into this whole mess in the first place. If we don't hold those who did this accountable, we're doomed to repeat our foul actions.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The UN has no right to point it's finger at anyone.

The UN is a corrupt cesspool of politicians breaking laws.

For anyone at the UN to complain about anyone else is pathetic.

They need to clean up their own mess before they complain.

do not judge a whole organisation by the mistakes of aspects of it.
just because there have been mistakes made by segments of the un does not mean the un should not be allowed to do good for the world.

i fail to see your logic,it appears to be based upon prejudice,judging the whole by the few,in that case every organistion in the world shouldnt do anything.

they are not complaining they are attempting to put wrongs right,after all it is the torture department and this is what they are there to do regardless of who did the torturing..

all is of sin,the larger it is the more probability mistakes will be made.

an after thought,
small is best,for when it makes mistakes those mistakes are much less problematic.
limiting power i do believe is a benificial ideology for all life,no glutanous ais developong way to fast whom are one big walking mistake.

would the universe be better of if ais were never made?,probably...there just to powerful and lack the experience to wield it functionaly,that is some are cooped up in their artificial realities looking out through the periscope and dont understand a thing about reality despite thier "amazing" processing abilities.

come here and walk with me,get out of your video game and attempt to experience that which a billion years of inter chronilogical computational boolean logic cant.

bool this.......a microbe is capable of being more functional than the ais i see.a microbe is of more worth,your karma is many trillion points in the negative but it is around 0, a clear winner.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by welivefortheson]

[edit on 22-4-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Then you can strip down to your skivvies and I'll shove you repeatedly into a wall. Don't worry though, I'll let you wear a neck brace so you don't get whiplash... while I shove you into a wall.

Oh and about sleep deprivation, you can be guaranteed I would never allow you to go more than eleven days without sleep.

Oh and by the way, the insect thing was actually never used: Source

You might think its not torture sitting in your armchair, but somehow I think if it happened to you your smart little attitude would have a bit of an adjustment. Just thinking out loud here.

Wow...I guess those must be a lot worse than getting your head slowly chopped off in front of a camera for all to see...including your family...

These insurgents were fighting and killing Americans, and our allies, and those they captured they beheaded.....

I guess you must think we should be treating these insurgents with respect for slowly beheading Americans, and our allies...

BTW, in the military some of us have had to go through many of those things you called torture and worse just to get our minds prepared in case our aircraft is shot down behind enemy lines, or our soldiers get captured by the enemy....

[edit on 22-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson

do not judge a whole organisation by the mistakes of aspects of it.
just because there have been mistakes made by segments of the un does not mean the un should not be allowed to do good for the world.

The UN doing "good for the world"?....

You are kidding right?...

Haven't you heard about UN troops raping women, and firing at unarmed citizens protesting without firearms?....

Haven't you heard about the UN Food for Oil Scandal in which several UN officials were caught, including the son of the president of the UN, doing illegal businesses with Saddam selling him banned equipment, including banned military equipment and parts, for oil instead of food for the Iraqi people for years?...

Please inform yourself a little before you try to defend an organization which is corrupt, has allowed genocide, and even has members of terrorist organizations, such as HAMAS, as employees...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Wow...I guess those must be a lot worse than getting your head slowly chopped off in front of a camera for all to see...including your family...

These insurgents were fighting and killing Americans, and our allies, and those they captured they beheaded.....

I guess you must think we should be treating these insurgents with respect for slowly beheading Americans, and our allies...

Allow me to try and figure out your logic on this one...

So if they do it, we can do it?

By your reasoning maybe we should strap up our boys overseas with explosives and start setting up IED's in busy street corners to level the playing field.

Its logic like this that makes us no better than the terrorists themselves. How about we stop torturing prisoners, and maybe we'll have a little justification for all of the reckless invading we do. Maybe we can be the bigger man, and set the example for the world.

And you also must remember, many of the "insurgents" we torture are really just innocent foreigners being held indefinitely without trial.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
BTW, to back my statements here are a "few" articles for you to read the "precious and so innocent UN".

UN troops face child abuse claims

Children have been subjected to rape and prostitution by United Nations peacekeepers in Haiti and Liberia, a BBC investigation has found.
Girls have told of regular encounters with soldiers where sex is demanded in return for food or money.

A senior official with the organisation has accepted the claims are credible.

The UN has faced several scandals involving its troops in recent years, including a DR Congo paedophile ring and prostitute trafficking in Kosovo.

The assistant secretary-general for peacekeeping operations acknowledges that sexual abuse is widespread.

"We've had a problem probably since the inception of peacekeeping - problems of this kind of exploitation of vulnerable populations," Jane Holl Lute told the BBC.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Claudia Rossett: The UN Is Absolutely Corrupt

by Jerry Gordon (Feb. 2009)

Claudia Rossett, intrepid foreign correspondent and investigative journalist, spoke to a Tiger Bay Club audience in Pensacola, Florida in mid-January. She discussed the corruption of the United Nations and its dominance by dictatorships and the Organization of the Islamic Conference. The U.N., according to her, embodies the dictum of Lord Acton: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Rossett’s talk demonstrated the U.N. fulfillment of the worst aspects of international corruption.

Why the U.N. Structure abets Corruption.
Rossett started her talk by laying out the structure of the U.N. and its dominance by dictatorships and the 57 member Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC). Her basic thesis is that the structure of the U.N. has “no transparency or accountability and operates with virtual diplomatic immunity.”

At the top of the U.N. structure is the Secretariat General. The Secretariat constitutes the world bureaucracy of the U.N. with over 8,900 staff and principle offices including those in Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Beirut, Geneva, Nairobi, Santiago and Vienna. It carries out decisions of the UN Security Council, General Assembly and UN Economic and Social Council (UNESCO). It has a current budget of $2 billion for mandated operations. The U.S. finances more than 22 percent of the UN operating budget covering over 170 countries.

The current head of the Secretariat is Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon former South Korean Foreign Minister who took office in 2007. The tenure of his predecessor, Kofi Annan, from 1997 to 2007 was blemished with calls for his resignation after the revelations of the Iraqi Oil for Food scandal uncovered by Rossett. Annan’s son Kojo “admitted he was involved in negotiations to sell millions of barrels of Iraqi oil under the auspices of Saddam Hussein." There were calls in the U.S. for Annan’s resignation as Secretary General resulting from the Iraqi Oil for Food program investigations.

There are now 192 member states in the UN General Assembly. Rossett drew our attention to the G-77 group comprised of 120 “mostly un-free dictatorships.” Prominent among the G-77 is the 57 member Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC). The OIC has been in the forefront of promoting UN resolutions against so-called Islamophobia and Israel. OIC members have been involved in resolutions adopted at the ‘reformed’ UN Commission on Human Rights in Geneva pushing its position to criminalize alleged defamation of Islam. This is a thinly disguised attempt to throttle freedom of speech in the West. We saw that reflected in so-called Human Rights investigations in Canada prompted by Muslim advocacy groups against journalists Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant. Another example is Dutch parliamentarian and Freedom Party (PVV) leader Geert Wilders, who was recently found by an Amsterdam appeals court to be in criminal violation of Dutch Law for ‘insulting’ Islam with his film “Fitna.”

The Security Council consists of 15 members, with five being permanent: the U.S., U.K., France, Russia and China. Each has veto power over adoption of U.N. resolutions. The current ten non-permanent members of the U.N. Security Council include: Austria, Japan, Burkina Faso, Libya Arab Jamahinya, Viet Nam, Costa Rica, Mexico, Croatia and Turkey. The non-permanent members serve for two year terms and cannot be re-elected by the General Assembly. Votes of the Security Council are binding on Member States. Veto power of the Security Council arises from the so-called “rule of great Power unanimity,” that all decisions require nine votes of the members, but unanimity of the five permanent members. This has frequently led to stasis in resolving international disputes.
According to Rossett, “there is little or no interest in defending democracy at the U.N.”

www.newenglishreview.org...

The UN Security Council decided in October 2007 to extend the mandate of the MINUSTAH (United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti) through Oct. 15, 2008. The Brazilian Government is responsible for coordinating the MINUSTAH forces that include approximately 9,000 troops. Yet there is very little discussion in Brazil about the country's role in the occupation of Haiti, and especially, about the accusations leveled against the UN troops for their participation in human rights violations.

One of the cases documented by Haitian human rights organizations was that of the massacre that took place on Dec. 22, 2006 in the Cite Soleil area of Port-au-Prince, following a protest by some 10,000 people who demanded the return of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide and the withdrawal of foreign military forces. According to reports by local residents and video footage recorded by the Haiti Information Project, the UN forces attacked the community and killed about 30 people, including women and children.

In response to the criticism by human rights organizations that denounced those killings, MINUSTAH justified its actions by claiming that it was combating gangs in Cite Soleil. However, the images shot by Haiti Information Project show that UN troops shot unarmed civilians from helicopters. Inter Press Service, which covered the conditions in the area immediately following the attack, reported finding high-caliber bullet holes in many homes. HIP director Kevin Pina accused MINUSTAH of participating together with the Haitian National Police in summary executions and arbitrary arrests. He concluded, "In this context, it is hard to continue seeing the UN mission as an independent and neutral force in the country."

americas.irc-online.org...

WARNING, There are photos of people who were shot and killed by UN troops in the following link, alongside information about UN troops involvement in murders of unarmed civilians.

HIP - Port au Prince, Haiti — A Cite Soleil community activist, Samuel Leconte, was arrested at gunpoint by Brazilian soldiers on Jan. 18th and was turned over to the Haitian police. The first questions posed to Mr. Leconte by the UN were whether he has information connecting former political prisoner Annette Auguste, aka So An, and exiled president Aristide to large demonstrations in the seaside shanty town of Cite Soleil. While Mr. Leconte has responded that he has no such information and that the demonstrations are taken at the initiative of the community, the information Mr. Leconte does possess is eyewitness testimony of the killings executed by UN forces in his community on December 22. 2006.

blogs.myspace.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Ah, and I forgot...

Members of Hamas 'on UN payroll'
Relief agency spokesman says 'I don't see that as a crime'

OTTAWA - The United Nations agency that provides assistance and food aid to Palestinian refugees admits it has hired members of the terrorist group Hamas to help in its efforts.

Peter Hansen, commissioner-general of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for palestinian refugees (UNRWA), told the CBC he believes it likely that Hamas members receive paycheques from his organization.

"Oh I am sure that there are Hamas members on the UNRWA payroll and I don't see that as a crime. Hamas as a political organization does not mean that every member is a militant and we do not do political vetting and exclude people from one persuasion as against another," Mr. Hansen said.

"We demand of our staff, whatever their political persuasion is, that they behave in accordance with UN standards and norms for neutrality."

Canada contributes roughly $10-million annually to UNRWA.

Canadian officials did not offer any immediate comment on the specifics of the CBC report, saying the UN agency has a long record of humanitarian service in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, and that the organization should speak for itself.

"But I would say that as far as Canada's concerned, Hamas is a terrorist organization," said a spokesman for Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew.

The federal government designated Hamas as a terrorist group in 2002, and several North American charities linked to the group have since been outlawed.

The uproar concerning the UN's rumoured ties to groups like Hamas and Hezbollah -- which also provide food, welfare and schooling to Palestinians -- erupted this past week when the Israeli Defence Force released a pair of videotapes they claimed as proof that UN ambulances have been used to ferry munitiions and gunmen throughout the occupied territories.

militaryphotos.net...

The UN exists for the good of the world?.... Please wake up.....

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Allow me to try and figure out your logic on this one...

So if they do it, we can do it?

By your reasoning maybe we should strap up our boys overseas with explosives and start setting up IED's in busy street corners to level the playing field.

Have the troops been beheading insurgents?.... No...there is a big difference between trying to save lives by getting information from insurgents, and slowly cutting the head off a person....

Your reasoning is flawed, so stop the red herrings...thank you..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join