It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turks & Caicos Islands return to British colonial control ... to join Canada ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
There's trouble in paradise.

On 18th March 2009, Queen Elizabeth II signed an Order in Council suspending self government of these Caribbean islands, placing all powers with her representative, Governor General Gordon Wetherell.

This unprecedented action comes as islands Prime Minister Michael Misick faces a commission of enquiry into several corruption allegations plus one of sexual assault. Misick is charges with selling Crown property at knockdown prices for his own financial benefit. Former first lady LisaRaye McCoy, an American model and sitcom actress, alleges that she received $200,000 pcm from official expenditure to cover her clothes budget.

The Turks and Caicos Governor, Gordon Wetherell, is expected to implement his announced plan to suspend the constitution, end self-government and re-impose direct British rule while the country's body politic is overhauled. The process - a rare modern-day example of the return, rather than retreat, of British colonial reach - is expected to take at least two years. The Governor's plumed helmet may have been retired to a display case at the rickety national museum, but Mr Wetherell, a career diplomat, will soon wield executive power once again from Waterloo, a modest white-walled compound that is home to his office and residences on Grand Turk, the archipelago's sleepy capital.

Daily Telegraph

I find it surprising there's been little coverage of this situation. Normally a Prime Minister facing such allegations would be removed from office by his own party, by parliament or by the electorate. But here the British regard the political climate on the islands to be so corrupt that only a return to colonial rule can be considered.

One of the most surprising aspects of this is the desire of some in both the islands & Canada for the two to merge. Nova Scotia has already entertained the possibility by inviting the Turks & Caicos government to talks about merging both. This brings some interesting possibilities for enlarging Canada and bringing her a presence in the Caribbean.

At this point in time, the benefits are seemingly outweighing the drawbacks. Assuming Turks and Caicos will join Canada, we would have an advantageous location for vacationers. Keeping Canadians in search of sun inside of Canada would benefit the economy by keeping spending inside of Canada instead of diverting it to Cuba, Mexico or other Caribbean islands. Another attracting feature would be a place for international vacationers. By joining Canada, the country would obviously enjoy an increase in the standard or living. Becoming a part of the Canadian economy would be a boost in their ability to participate the world's competitive industry of tourism. Canadian military would have a base in the Caribbean on home ice. Not exactly ice, but Canada would grow increasingly in international military stature if Turks and Caicos joined Canada. As Guantanamo Bay is important in American operations, Canada would also have an important base in the region which probably wouldn't interfere with residents of the islands seeing as Canada is largely a peacekeeping force.

Turks and Caicos move to join Canada

Given that the islands lie only 600 miles south of Miami, I wonder how the US contributors think about this failed government, the imposition of British colonial rule & the possibility of a Canadian presence in the Caribbean ?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Due to the fact the Mother nation is apart of the European Union, Turks & Caicos will not consider Union with Canada or independence.

The Island, like other colonies in the region, is very dependent on the United Kingdom.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Those talks are going on for some time now. It's been at least 10 years since I first heard about Turk and Caicos joining Canada. I don't think it is feasable but I would like it. Going to the caribean without any passport or visa. Using the same money would be great for tourist ... but I'm still not sure I'm gonna see this in the short run.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Man that would be amazing. I have heard this before, several years ago during another regime change, however I don't think it would happen. Canada would need to renew it's commitment down there and I don't think our Government could properly manage even the tiniest of placest including these two.

However It would be alot of fun to hop on a plane and go to the Turk Islands for a weekend on Canadian currency without a passport. My children would never stop harrassing me with vacations.

Good find, I hope these things come to fruition, the UK has enough Caribbean land, time for us to own some too

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I heard about the Canada merger years ago but understood that Canada didn't want any part of it.They seem to think too many would move to Toronto or Montreal.I thought it would be a win win for Canada as a tropical part of Canada would be nice and a Military stop as well.I live in Canada and would enjoy it as well.There would need a lot of Canadian investment with schools and Medical care but I think it would pay off in the end.I guess a tropical storm might be a bit costly though.Hope it comes about but I have my doubts.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Due to the fact the Mother nation is apart of the European Union, Turks & Caicos will not consider Union with Canada or independence.

The Island, like other colonies in the region, is very dependent on the United Kingdom.

Sorry, but that's just not correct. Turks and Caicos have been begging Canada to allow them to join the Canadian family since the 1970's. In fact, they have made several formal proposals to that affect. Most of the tourists to T & C are Canadians and have been for years and years. They want to adopt the Canadian dollar and Canadians are just fine with spending Loonies on a tropical island. The Canadian citizens are understandably all for the idea.

In all honesty though, I don't know why the Canadian government has time after time considered it and then rejected the proposals. Supposedly protecting the islands so far from Canada's borders is a bit more than Canada's military can truly do with with effectiveness in the event of trouble. This is an issue that Canada, Britain and T & C have discussed in very friendly fashion for over 40 years now.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I guess I should have said that before,I know the T&C have wanted this for a long time.I know the Canadian Military have been under manned and the Military was always the first for cuts when Government wanted money for something.I was in military for over 35 years.I still think it would be a good investment for Canada.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
My fellow Canadians should realize these islands are right next store to Haiti .. Haiti has huge problems, some of these problems like gangs spill into Turks and Caicos. Now it would be nice to have some Caribean island joins confederation, but your also are going to have to accept steep increase in gang activity. Not worth it in my books .

I fear that Canada would end up taking on the burden of Haiti and The Turks and Caicos and perhaps other Caribbean countries . I don't care if this sounds un-P.C. , this merger would result negative social disparencies after the resulting influx of immigration from all over the Caribbean . People should try and see the bigger picture .

[edit on 6-5-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I don't see a need for that. Anyways, a trip in Cuba is far more cheaper than a trip in Nova Scotia or Turks and Caicos, and a passport is about 80 $.

The main reason I wouldn't want to see Turks and Caicos part of Canada.

Not because they have to import their drinking water, but mainly because of drug traffics.

en.wikipedia.org...

or

turksandcaicos-guide.info...

''The Turks and Caicos were rediscovered in the 1990s, when they became widely known as a center for drug trafficking and money laundering. It was then that the British government took a more interventionist stance and has since given the islands' residents British citizenship. ''

I saw coverage about how planes full of white powder crashed on beaches.

Sorry but not interessested.

top topics

join