It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inner City of Detroit is a 3rd World Country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I just found this guy on youtube who has filmed alot of footage of the Detroit Ghettos. I myself was completely unaware that the city itself was in this rough of shape , this is the USA isn't it ?

In my home city of Manchester NH ,where I grew up from 1976-1985 was a nice clean neighborhood consisting of Canadian /Irish families . All the apartment buildings were kept in very good shape all the yards were clean etc . I just recently visited my old neighborhood and found that it is in shambles , there is garbage everywhere , graffiti , unkempt homes that havnt been painted in 20 years.

What I am trying to say is that people in general have stopped caring many years ago and the majority of our cities are falling apart "literally" . It is not just the economy thats failing it is society itself that is failing.

Any way here is the Video from Detroit ......

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Samblack]

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Samblack]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I don't think this is an issue about people not caring.

Greed caused all of that. Blame the unions that ultimately drive manufactures and their jobs out of town. Blame all those people that buy a home thinking it should triple in value 30 years from now (just who did they think would be around to buy their overpriced rotting wooden home when they eventually retire, our children?). Blame government that taxes people to death. Blame funny (a.k.a. fiat) money that doesn't hold its originally earned value (that $20 bill we earned 30 years ago should have been capable of retaining its original purchasing power when it was earned instead of being robbed from us).

Fiat money is probably the biggest cause of all this though. Fiat money is cheating money. That money you earned for an hours wage 30 years ago SHOULD still be worth its original value, SHOULD retain its original purchasing power 30 years ago when you earned it .. but it is NOT .. because WE'VE been robbed. THAT is what screws up a lot of things. Inflation is a form of robbery, and THAT is what makes us all the more poorer.

Greed and fiat money and government causes ghettos. People don't walk away from a good thing .. people don't just stop caring about their property .. not unless they have a compelling reason for doing so. Think about what would cause YOU to walk away and abandon your home. When you eventually retire, will you be able to afford your property taxes? When you eventually retire, do you think you'll be able to sell your 30+ year old USED home for 3 times what it was originally worth?

Yup, blame greed and that cheating paper funny money, the value of which can be taken from you at any time by those that continually deflate its value.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
In America, both urban and rural areas have seen similar conditions (and worse) for decades. In discussions of American poverty, rural areas are largely forgotten despite outranking more urban regions in "poorest regions" indexes. Why is that? I find it odd that Detroit, Harlem, etc. are traditionally mentioned with such great frequency despite having greater economic strength than some other areas of the country. Is it due to the elevated violence rates in the cities? Considering the population of Appalachia alone (a prime example of rural poverty), I don't think it has anything to do with the population numbers of the urban vs. rural areas of poverty. This is a question that deserves a bit of consideration.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I don't blame it all on Economic downturn , as i stated in my original post I grew up in Manchester NH from 1976-1985 and the neighborhoods were all kept up in my area . It is now a mini-ghetto , i blame a lot of it on drug's ,crime and immigrants that took over the streets.

N.H. for the most part has always had a stable economy , even right now unemployment is not that bad here.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Samblack

You are right about that, I was hired for a job in Manchester last summer
and turned it down because the town was a little too "rough." Somehow I didn't feel safe there and I have been around some rather rough cities in my time. The cost of living is very high for such a poor area as well, there seems to be no way out for people on lower incomes.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Greed has absolutely nothing to do with this problem. If anything, generocity has caused the problem. We are $3Trillion in social spending programs since the onset of Great Society and conditions of the poor have gotten worse, not better.

I grew up in NJ. In the 70's conditios were similiar to what you see in this video. Camden, Newark and Trenton were all wastelands and still are. Delivering perscriptions in my teens, I was regularily in projects with boarded up windows, climbing over a couple of floors of garbage and waste to get some sick elderly person their medicine. Of course the elevators did not work as they were destroyed.

After college, getting to the train station at 6:00AM you drove by dozens of folks, including able bodied men sitting on stoops drinking and playing cards - yes, 6:00 AM.

I realize that economic down turns accelerate and excerbate these problems. I also know that the VAST majority of the people who live in these neighborhoods want a job they can't find and simply want a decent life for themselves to raise their children.

Poverty does not cause you to trash your neighborhood. Poverity does not cause you to break windows, throw trash around your neighborhood. Poverity is an economic condition which has absolutely nothing to do with the inherent quality of any individual. There is no shame in being poor. Neighborhoods did not look like that during the depression and folks were much poorer and there was no where the level of programs or government assistance that are available today.

I am not saying that poverity is something we should tolerate. We should have a national goal to eliminate poverity. Economic poverity is something tangible. We have done an tremendous amount to eliminate it and obviously investment by the government does not suffice. It does not suffice because this is a poverity of mind and spirit, not economic poverity. It is insulting to suggest that because people are poor, this is the way they live.

This is a very complex issue. A simplistic "greed caused this problem" just does not cut it. I can't see anyway greed even contributed to the problem.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here is another video... www.youtube.com...

Well atleast we are spending billions rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
It's the same the world over, there are ghettos and slums everywhere in the UK for example. The media like to gloss it over and governments turn a blind eye to poverty as it keeps the fat cats fat. Some eye candy and reading material for you (sometimes a surprise for Americans who assume the UK is the land of suits, big business and cups of tea)...

5 Million Brit kids are living below poverty line

The survey reveals a shocking 98 per cent of kids in Glasgow are living below the poverty line.

Birmingham, East London and Manchester are also badly affected.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well there is no development funding for some reason.

You can see the desolation in a music video that had
all scenes of want:

Music video in Detroit
Shot on location in the Del Ray neighborhood in Detroit.
There was an operating smoke stack.

Music Video shot in Henry Ford's 1st moving assembly line

Looks abandoned and better off than some of the wear houses
some music videos are made.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There is a very old Chinese classic, from the BC era; I can't remember which one, not The Art of War but something from around that era. At any rate, I remember a passage in the book dealing with the rise and fall of city-states.

The book compared a thriving city-state to a meeting between two caravans of merchants in a wilderness field. The two set up camp, and start to do business. For awhile, there is a sense of vibrancy and solidity: rows of dwellings set up, the smells of grilling food, people sitting around campfires at night telling lively stories, and haggling over goods in the day. The whole thing seems like a real community for a short while. But once the deals have been done and the trades have been made, the caravans pack up their tents, say goodby, and head on their way. All that is left in the field is a few scraps of garbage and maybe a straggler or two picking through the leftovers.

The point the author was trying to make was that even very wealthy and strong cities, that seem to have real permanency, are not solid "be-ings." Rather, they are "do-ings," hubs of commercial and other activity. Once the activity dries up for whatever reason, the city becomes a shell of its former self. Even ancient China was littered with the bones of such dead and forgotton communities.

Detroit and others are no different; this is an eternal aspect of the dance of time. The "do-ing" that held the city together (the auto industry and related persuits) has stopped, so the city is in the process of vanishing and people are moving on. Same as any other ghost town in history...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
When the jobs left Detroit, so did the people that have to work for a living.

As more jobs left, real estate prices plummeted but you can't afford to live there if there is no work.

As the workers left, real estate was abandoned because you just couldn't sell it.

Now, you can pick up houses in Detroit for next to nothing but there are now jobs and you have to deal with the people that were left behind.

Those people are the ones that are burning the houses. Those people are the ones that are breaking the windows.

You wonder why there is no development? What sane business would view this as a place for a start up? Do you have an educated population of workers eager for a chance to make your start up fly?

This environment was created by too many years of social programs and no leadership that could attract any jobs.

It's sad.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
The most cost effective way is through education.

I do not see rebuilding entire ghettos, giving out free stuff, or anything along those lines plausible. The environment is hard, so kids need to know that they must succeed in life in order to move out of the slums.

Life is not fair, but the opportunity for them to escape is there, even with the restrictions they face.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Video was pretty sad to see. I grew up in Detroit and you really dont realize how bad it is until your walking down the streets and house after house is in shambles. I recently went to visit with my sister a house that we lived in as kids on 6 mile and gratiot. It was completely in shambles and hard to see. Because when we lived there it wasnt so bad off. The other house we went to visit was completely boarded up.

Its a shame. Those were out memories ya know.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The closing of industry (UK especially) and the outsourcing of jobs overseas, and the general bad economy which has been bad for a lot longer than most realize, is bound to start effecting the inner cities first, as they are usually populated by low unskilled workers who get laid off first.

Then the property rents become cheaper, and the neighborhoods become low rent areas, so yes they get populated by immigrants and other low earners.

So it looks like it's the immigrant, or low earners fault, when in reality it's the system that requires markets to be constantly making profit that created the situation.

Your capitalism at work.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It was interesting that the rich people could not keep up
with progress and most likely had old DC house wiring from
the Edison era.

When they left town the rest started to crumble.

Why upgrade the house when the profits are going down
and no hope of pushing old technology in a new cover.

In fact people were dumping on the car business with gas
additives that lost engine efficiency as well as converters that
pollute green house gases by making the car more inefficient.
The automobile was an Illuminati gravy train.

new topics

top topics

join