It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy secretary: Islands could disappear

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Wow, whatever you think there dudeski!
I'm not sure what your even getting at other than flaming me directly.
Good on you for producing your own power though. You rest your case.
Great! I dont suppose I can just say way to go and you would be happy.
Im saying we all have choices as consumers. Where does your one power company get its power from? Coal, nuclear or a mix?
I know exactly where mine comes from, my own investment!
See, I bought solar panels and windmills instead of expensive houses and cars!
After you saying you also provide your own power PLUS more, I
cannot be upset at all with you. (Cuz Im not into war and stuff!)
Unless you try to take my panels away.
If you want to argue with
someone go find southern guardian or someone on jennas new thread
that likes to argue over something thats obviously false and so why are you even wasting your time on it anyway?
I wont fall for your trap full of fire. You justify your stance for what you believe! And I will mine! And Im not required to pacify you at all.

Corporations are greedy and money is the main concern, it has to be
or they go broke. Just the way it is. I'm marxist and communist?

You really are terrified huh?
Did you vote for bush? Both times probably huh? Ya like fascism I suppose. Whaaaaa, stuffs not workin' out so good now is it?
Anyway, whatever you say. Like I say I think your okay, but be mad anyway.
I dont blame ya, your country lied and screwed you over and now you are mad and scared for your kids. Try to have some peace while your
out there denying that ignorance, friend.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Go ahead and use the same arguments you learned on here.
Same tired lines. Ya, whatever dude. I call it like I see it.
From this post you are strictly spouting your personal fear again.
Its not even based in reality. Where do you get your numbers?
Why do you care about me, are you a mod or something?
Oh btw,

Those are for you!

When sarcasm is illegal maybe I'll care bub. Deal with it.
I think mommy and daddy are in bed now, thanks friend!
I'll watch the door!
You obviously didnt go very far back in my posts then!
Gee whiz maybe you should start with the YS thread! All 450 pages worth!
You want to be all huff and gruff and blow my house down? hehe
Grow up yourself a little and have a little personal respect would ya?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Originally posted by dodadoom

Where does your one power company get its power from? Coal, nuclear or a mix?

You obviously haven't a clue, but to show you I speak from fact and not emoticons, here goes:

In Texas, CPS gets its fuel from Montana lignite, kiln-dried and oxygenated at JT Dealey 1 and 2 for primary feed to the grid. The South Texas Nuclear Project in Baytwon is a consrtium including Houston and other Gulf producers. CPS is entitled to up to 25%. It is our cheapest source. Supplemental input comes from additonal gas-fired boilers whose primary provider is local gas.
In Indiana, our primary provider is Cinergy which is 75/25 lignite/gas. There are no regional alternative sources in Inidiana, but we provide about 12% of the nationa's ethanol production at a cost/BTU just under that of unleaded regular, depending upon seasonal formulations.

This thread is about AGW fearmongering as delivered to a cpative U.S. audience and now, thru Chu and Obama to developing nations as well!

This is rank hypocrisy, when the planned"system" cannot even justify itself economically or environmentally in a "developed" economy.

They should be ashamed.

We should be angry!

How much of the 2010 budget calls, independent of 'cap and trade' for subsidizing alternative energy? ZERO!

How much of "stimulus" subsidizes alternative energy? ZERO!

If you contend otherwise, tell em the program and how much is allocated to it.

You can't because it isn't!

Obama and Browner and Chu have put the entirety of their AGW eggs in the "cap and trade" basket.

How much of THAT goes to alternative energy? ZERO!

It ALL goes to nationalized health care!

Now, who's bamboozling who?

Deny ignorance!

jw

[edit on 19-4-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Thanks for the info! As I dont live in Texas I wouldn't know.
It still sounds pretty dirty to me!

Thanks also for your detailed answer free of useless emotion!(or humor)
You definately sound more grown up now!

I checked the parents too, its all good.
Other than you screwed up on your quote thingy, I know I've done it too.
See isnt this better, now where were we?
How we gonna fix this mess? I like your idea!
But how will we innovate? At this pace it will be next century and
the kids will be choking. It seems the only thing that would fix it is money.
You remember when gas was over 4 bux a gallon? I'll tell you making
bio diesel in your garage starts looking pretty good!

btw, star for you! Is your avatar refering to pink floyd?
Oh heres that info you wanted....www.truthout.org...

Analysts expect that some of the $6 billion appropriated for loan guarantees will provide the foundation for at least $60 billion in new lending for clean energy projects over the next two years. The financial community is taking notice.

While not direct stimulus money this is actually a better deal it seems,
plus its not another "bailout" for the rich banksters!

But what is clear is that parts of the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act that replace the need for tax credits are giving the industry its biggest boost.

I am not done yet....
www.smartgridnews.com...

When it comes to getting federal stimulus money for Smart Grid projects, Illinois is one of the leaders, while Missouri a serious laggard. That’s the conclusion of an article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this week. It

Details are starting to emerge on the Department of Energy’s plan for distributing stimulus money for Smart-Grid related projects. According to a story in Renewable Energy World, the first grants to go out are likely to be block grants for state energy programs and weatherization aid to low-income individuals. DOE has made a spreadsheet showing money for those programs broken down by state.

Research firm IDC foresees a jump in technology sales owing to the Obama economic stimulus bill. High-tech provisions in the recently passed law could mean a $100B in revenue for technology companies. Money for Smart Grid and renewable energy will prime the pump for a total of $77B in spending, the report predicts (some of it from the required 50% match). The largest chunk, $66B, would go to renewable energy sources like solar and wind power. $8.6B could be spent on Smart Grid technology, such as smart meters. And another $3B could go to energy conservation technologies for commercial buildings, including programmable thermostats and other systems. Although Goldman Sachs has said that global technology spending could drop 9% this year, an IDC analyst expects the U.S. tech industry to expand by 0.1%.

www.energy.gov...

As part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the Vice President outlined plans to distribute more than $3.3 billion in smart grid technology development grants and an additional $615 million for smart grid storage, monitoring and technology viability.

By investing in updating the grid now, we will lower utility bills for American families and businesses, lessen our dependence on foreign oil and create good jobs that will drive our economic recovery – a strong return on our investment

Peace out!

[edit on 19-4-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Maybe I'm missing something here but Islands have been disappearing beneath the waves and coastal populations shifting long before anyone ever dreamed up the internal combustion engine or power stations.

Now, I am all for green initiatives, cleaner power generation and vehicle engines etc, what I am against is manufactured junk "science" designed to create new taxes and a trading commodity. These do NOT help the planet one little bit and are there simply to enrich those at the top of this huge pyramid scheme, while forcing us to succumb to their daylight robbery on the back of a guilt trip about killing the planet.

Al Gore likely threw the election with the promised pay off he is now reaping.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Originally posted by Britguy

Maybe I'm missing something here but Islands have been disappearing beneath the waves and coastal populations shifting long before anyone ever dreamed up the internal combustion engine or power stations.

You are certainly correct. However, it is only now that people have learned how to profit, politically and capitally, from the natural processes.

Turning the global cycles into political power-generation and wealth generation is an innovation of the late 20th century.

Soon, ANY changes in the environment, local, regional and global, will be turned into "opportunites" (as per Obama, Holder, Chu and Clinton) to foist individual and collective agendas onto a fearful public.

Now, I am all for green initiatives, cleaner power generation and vehicle engines etc, what I am against is manufactured junk "science" designed to create new taxes and a trading commodity. These do NOT help the planet one little bit and are there simply to enrich those at the top of this huge pyramid scheme, while forcing us to succumb to their daylight robbery on the back of a guilt trip about killing the planet.

Al Gore likely threw the election with the promised pay off he is now reaping.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If islands disappear it will not be from rising oceans.
This idea is an outrageous assault on your intelligence.
If only everyone would do the research and use just a little logic!

In all, the Earth's water content is about 1.39 billion cubic kilometers (331 million cubic miles) and the vast bulk of it, about 96.5%, is in the global oceans. Approximately 1.7% is stored in the polar icecaps, glaciers, and permanent snow, and another 1.7% is stored in groundwater, lakes, rivers, streams, and soil. Finally, a thousandth of 1% exists as water vapor in the Earth's atmosphere.

not much ice at that

And notice that only 1.7% is in ground water, lakes and rivers.
They tell us that we have an impending water SHORTAGE, and yet that the same amount of water will inundate islands and low lying land.
They lie. When will the people wise up to this?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
lol@ the solar panel girl.whether global warming is man made or enviromental cycles, it really does not matter.There is nothing we can do about it.Even if the U.S.A. went completely green,we have CHINA INDIA AFRICA and a bunch of third world # holes that would not comply.Also I for one will NOT give up my suv or air condtioning or anything else that makes my life desirabe.Although it does not hurt to put solar panels up,They sure are ugly..lol

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
lol@ the solar panel girl.whether global warming is man made or enviromental cycles, it really does not matter.There is nothing we can do about it.Even if the U.S.A. went completely green,we have CHINA INDIA AFRICA and a bunch of third world # holes that would not comply.Also I for one will NOT give up my suv or air condtioning or anything else that makes my life desirabe.Although it does not hurt to put solar panels up,They sure are ugly..lol

agreed but there are significant advances in solar panel design most notably solar shingles that blend in to overall architecture of roofs having said that if it costs too much people wont do it.

solar installation takes at least 20 years to pay itself off and as most people live in the here and now doesnt make it appealing.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by neo67]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm totally pro-environment but global warming confuses the crap out of me.

Are we getting colder or warmer?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by neo67

Production advances should bring solar film/panels down to about $0.10 per watt within a year. These materials will produce electricity even in room light and form oblique angles.

Even without "cap and trade" and other hysterical reactions to CO2 levels, innovation will occur. It does not depend on fearmongering and "stimulus."

In fact, it can be argued that stimulus $$ could inhibit innovation by focusing on wrong technologies rather than letting markets dictate what will sell and what will not.

jw

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Very good point and good common sense!
As to letting the free market decide?

Thats funny! Oh shucks, sorry.
Theres that lol again! Whooops!
Its just after bailing out(and rewarding)the corrupt and propping up
failing businesses and definately NOT letting the free market decide,
I've grown kinda skeptical. (Kinda like many on here about climate change apparently)
Sorry bout that...
Peace.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've tried reading this tread to discover how far off the Grid this topic has wandered.

The real issues here is "How could one giant smart Grid ever be considered a strategic defense measure to our National Security"? Come on, the only advantage I've seen is how fast they can flip off the power after forcing the average citizen into paying for there greed thorough high tech thievery. The only winners are the manufacturers of electric products IE General Electric from Edison patents.

If the Founding father's really wanted to find a workable solution to curb the high energy cost, they'd have focused more on developing a sustainable industry for each home owner. IE like small windmills or residential solar roofing tiles. Just think how fast that technology would leap around the globe in green technology.

What I'm proposing is no more private electric companies ... stop stringing power lines ... give the people what they want in technology and not what the government dictates.

[edit on 11/03/2008 by Skydancer]

[edit on 11/03/2008 by Skydancer]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm waiting for some group to launch a law suit against the Dept of Energy on the grounds that the Smart Grid technology violates our personal privacy.
How egotistical to make us believe that our government has the right to monitor our consumption of energy when we foot the bill.

This has to be one of the craziest examples I've ever seen in my life time of bad politics.

There isn't much I wouldn't do to save a buck. I'm sick and tired of the 24 month pitch and toss consumerism. What happened to common sense sustainability?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join