It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biocentrism: A New Theory of the Universe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
A theory that recognizes that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe.

Biocentrism is a theory pushed by Robert Lanza. Here's a little bit about Lanza.

Robert Lanza is Chief Scientific Officer of Advanced Cell Technology (ACT) and Adjunct Professor at the Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

Lanza received both BA and MD degrees from the University of Pennsylvania, where he was both a Benjamin Franklin Scholar and a University Scholar. Lanza is a former Fulbright Scholar and has worked with well-known scientists Jonas Salk, B. F. Skinner, and Christiaan Barnard. He has been described as "the living embodiment of the character played by Matt Damon in the movie Good Will Hunting."

en.wikipedia.org...

He worked on a team the cloned embryonic stem cells. In 2001 and 2003 he cloned an endangered species and much more.

His theory on Biocentrism is interesting and I'm still reading up on it. I'm just glad it's been said. For too long science has started with a priori that consciousness has to be a secondary function of matter. I think this has been a huge mistake and has held back progress. I think we could have incorporated things like telepathy, psychic ability, OBE and ESP into modern scientific theories.

This is a short introduction to Biocentrism:

Biocentrism can refer to the scientific position that life and consciousness form the basis of observable reality, and thereby the basis of the universe itself. The biocentric theory proposed by Robert Lanza builds on quantum physics by putting life into the equation. His theory places biology above the other sciences in an attempt to solve one of nature’s biggest puzzles: the theory of everything that other disciplines have been pursuing for the last century. In biocentrism, space and time are forms of animal sense perception, rather than external physical objects. Understanding this more fully yields answers to several major puzzles of mainstream science, and offers a new way of understanding everything from the microworld (for instance, the reason for Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle and the double-slit experiment) to the forces, constants, and laws that shape the universe.

en.wikipedia.org...

You could read more here as well:

www.dynamicdata.com.au...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Fri Jun 19 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If time is just an animal perception, then how come I can look at a picture of me when I was a child? What was between then and now? Nothing?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
If time is just an animal perception, then how come I can look at a picture of me when I was a child? What was between then and now? Nothing?

You know i was thinking along the same line. This new theory has many holes in it and i for one do not believe it until i see more so called "research".

Squid out.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Between now, and the past, is called change, also known as time. But there really is no time, there is only a now, that is constantly changing.

For something to exist, it has to be between more than one frame of reference. Otherwise, it wouldn't be observable, and it wouldn't exist.

For example, YOU. You exist now, now, now, now, now, now, ..etc. over multiple frames of referance. "Time" as we know it, is equal to existance.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0nce 0nce
reply to post by Nventual

Between now, and the past, is called change, also known as time. But there really is no time, there is only a now, that is constantly changing.

For something to exist, it has to be between more than one frame of reference. Otherwise, it wouldn't be observable, and it wouldn't exist.

For example, YOU. You exist now, now, now, now, now, now, ..etc. over multiple frames of referance. "Time" as we know it, is equal to existance.

In that last part your pretty much talking about like when you look in a mirror and you can see yourself reflected forever, am i right?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 0nce 0nce

Good points and Lanza makes this pretty clear in his description of Biocentrism.

He says:

Our sense of the forward motion of time is really the result of an infinite number of decisions that only seem to be a smooth continuous path. At each moment we are at the edge of a paradox known as The Arrow, first described 2,500 years ago by the philosopher Zeno of Elea. Starting logically with the premise that nothing can be in two places at once, he reasoned that an arrow is only in one place during any given instance of its flight. But if it is in only one place, it must be at rest. The arrow must then be at rest at every moment of its flight. Logically, motion is impossible. But is motion impossible? Or rather, is this analogy proof that the forward motion of time is not a feature of the external world but a projection of something within us? Time is not an absolute reality but an aspect of our consciousness.

www.dynamicdata.com.au...

This also goes to what Einstein said. The distinction between past, present and future is just an illusion.

What Lanza is saying is what we percieve as time is created by consciousness and not the external world.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Fri Jun 19 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So it's impossible to time travel now if that's the case and also do you mean that it's that just our reality or consciousness is continuously morphing(changing) in a set spot for infinite but we perceive it as a path we call "time"?
Thanks.

[edit on 19/4/09 by Nventual]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The speed of changes that Earth has gives our mind a perspective of past present and future.

Since earth has such a slow rate of change compared to us humans. We know that earth is going to be there in the future as well. We dont know for how long. But because of the rate of changes earth has we know its going to be here for a long time.

But we dont know what Earth is going to look like at the top in the future,because this is where we live and its where the changes are fastest.

What we dont know anything about is the matter that changes at the same rate that we change or faster.

That is because our mind can't see changes past a certain speed. And we can't see the speed that energy moves at like the light. We can't even see that we age minute by minute or second by second.

Memory is not time but a recording of time at present time space.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
So it's impossible to time travel now if that's the case and also do you mean that it's that just our reality or consciousness is continuously morphing(changing) in a set spot for infinite but we perceive it as a path we call "time"?
Thanks.

[edit on 19/4/09 by Nventual]

No we can't time travel. Ever.

Unless we can make something that can moves faster then all matter can change. That is if you want to travel to the future.

If you want to travel to the past you have to gather all the energy and matter and put them back where they used to be in past space time.

You would have to re do all the changes step by step. Until you have your desired time and space.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Biocentrism can refer to the scientific position that life and consciousness form the basis of observable reality, and thereby the basis of the universe itself.

LOL oh boy!

I just love the wording of this..

scientific position that life and consciousness form the basis of observable reality

well duh? but the problem here is what made LIFE yes that was the first word in this little yap yap.. then we get this..

and thereby the basis of the universe itself.

I would suggest that mr brains comes on ats and reads a thread from a high school drop out who knew this was the case...but the problem is hes theory is backwards

Life? is the reason for the universe? lol ohh how very arogant.. i would say that the universe and life are both one of the same thing

a very large pattern of something and life is needed to sefl replicate the question "chaos" in order for logic to do its job.

its a balance act and life itself is the counter blance that gives order to the chaos that the universe infact is "on another scale" but the universe is a logical system that requires life..

Not the other way round

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
There is nothing new about considerations such as these. They are ancient ideas rooted in occultism and mysticism. I would wager a guess he also studies the esoteric though I cannot say for sure since I awakened on my own in my teens to very similar ideas. For myself, studies came later since it harmonized well with my ideas.

My main objections are the overimportance of an animal observer and the arbitrary line drawn between 'living' and 'nonliving', which is not so well defined.

When one's quest is for truth instead of the deception of the sensory world, truths about the participation of the observer and problems with prevaling notions are revealed on their own in what one might say 'a flash of illumination'.

I was wondering if anyone can really define an 'observation' in a satisfactory way. Is an observation really merely a sensory phenomenon or does it have 'strength'? What I mean is that a quark may be able to make observation but they are so weak that they do not greatly define reality whereas within a brain, the networks and the particles within them form a consenses and are able to formulate reality to a much higher level of certainty. Have any experiments demonstrating the roll of an observer used, say, a frog as an observer rather than a human?

One block that must be undone that I see people fall into is that anything is ever not in motion. The arrow is moving even when in the quiver. Be it the vibration of the motion of the molecules to the oscillation of the energy bound up the subatomic particles, nothing is at rest.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I understand perfectly what the Op is saying and the link that is supplied.

What is the time?
Time is a different grain of reality on where we are, where we move forward.

well it depends where we are and our perception of it.

Also can we change time?

in short yes, every decision we make can change the time.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hi,

An interesting post as this person appears to be coming from the problem from a biological direction.

Earlier I posted a reply regarding Julian Barbour who came to the same conclusion from a relativity/quantum approach. In his findings he states that it is our biology/brain function that gives us the impression of movement and time;

Suggest you read 'End of Time' by Julian Barbour - in it he suggests that we live in a relative configuration space - it is the changes in configurations that give the impression of movement and time. Basically all possibilities exist 'now' - including multi universes.

As posted earlier - we humans may psychologically and biologically 'play' the changes as a film and hence perceive movement and time.

He gives an great example of his cat Lucy jumping and gives an extract from Richard Dawkin's 'The Selfish Gene' ;

'Haemoglobin thornbushes are springing into their 'preferred' state in you body at the rate of about four hundred million million per second and others are being destroyed at the same time.'

As such the cat that Barbour saw jumping is not the same one that lands...
'Microscopically her 10 to the 26 atoms were rearranged to such an extent that only her gross features enables us to call her one cat.'

Peace!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think of time as our perception of action and reaction of everything around us. Each moment is the only "time" that exists and it is gone. We can think of and image moments in the past put those moments are gone and cannot be revisited.

The problem with my and others perception theory of time is that if we have to Earths in the exact orbits and moment as each other and we speed one of the earths up. The moments (action and reactions) on the faster Earth would occur at a slower rate than the moment (actions and reactions) on the slower moving Earth. Now if you (on the faster planet) could call you on the (slower planet) with a quantum intangled (instant communication) telephone. Your slower planet self could tell your faster planet self what the weather is going to be like tommarow.

This implies that something changes as moments (actions and reactions) move faster. It appears that the you on the faster planet percieve and experience moments (actions and reactions) at a slower rate. After a few years the you on the faster Earth could fly off and slow down and visit the you on the slow Earth. The you on the slow Earth would be older than you from the fast Earth. Slow Eart you could tell Fast Earth you what will happen in your future.

They have proved this happens by placing syncronous clocks and other experiments on board aircraft and space craft and then comparing them once they land to copies left on earth the entire time.

We have to define the change as something. So is this prove of space/time or proof that we percieve and experience moments differently the faster we move through space?

X

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think everything that ever was is and will be is all enfolded in an eterally unfolding present moment from which there is no escape.

In other words, a type of superdeterminism, wherein for example say, at the "time" of dynosaurs, this moment now was enfolded "there" and so "we" were in effect "present" then because "then" contained enfolded within it, now. In other words, that it is always now and forever, since what is cannot be anything else other than what is now. It always was now, is now and forever will be now. What we think of as "time" in this sense, isn't a line or a sequence, but a sphere, an ever expanding sphere of an implicate order made explicate through the present. Free will in this sense is an illusion in so far as once a decision is made and an action taken, or a judgement made, there is no alternative worldpath, and the whole of the infinite future, is a realm or a light cone of infinite possibility eminating from the eternally unfolding present.

This has wonderful implications for human being and human potential, in so far as the past is always a clean slate. Therefore, if any judgement can be removed, through forgiveness, then all that matters is what we are rolling into, and the mind or the brain then becomes either our greatest enemy, as a recording device, by propogating the past into the future, or, our best friend, as a learning mechanism and decision maker regarding the future we freely choose freed from the burden of past mistakes. This would make, in my mind, forgiveness, of self and others, the standard of all creation, and language, the tool of creation, since it is the means by which we define, frame and value the particulars of what we are doing, being, and creating.

Integrity, or wholeness, may then be defined as doing what you say you are going to do. Your proclamations, as they arise from your thoughts, not about the past, but about the future, are what matter. Covenants and promises kept is the stuff of life itself, and this unfolding is also the right frame of reference by which to interpret the Bible.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
And "genius" eminates, not from our frame of reference regarding the past, but from the spirit or medium of infinite intelligence which arises in the sphere of presence to the future (from now, on), or the uncreated ground of all being and becoming, the realm of limitless possibility, for which the mind is the substrate and language the frame of reference, where context and framing is decisive. Therefore, do not frame your future life and existence in the unfolding present moment via your interpretations of the past, and forgive as you are forgiven, starting with yourself. And me, I must start practicing what I preach!

"Therefore, fear not, nor let your hearts be troubled, for it pleased the father (first father of creation or first/last cause, of love) to share his kingdom with all his children."

"Therefore, be ye perfect, even as your father in heaven, is perfect."

"I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last."
~ Revelations

"The kingdom of heaven, is a like a storekeeper, who brings forth from his storehouse, something both old, and new."

God Bless,

OmegaPoint

[edit on 19-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Errm, new?

Wise dudes have been telling us this kind of stuff for aeons!

It's heartening to see small pockets of the 'scientific community' making an effort to get with the program though.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
That they could not discern the magnitude of the universe then, and did not have the science of quantum physics, or an understanding of the brain, there are new things sure - but what is utterly astounding, and which reveals much about the power of conscious thought, is how much they DID know, discern, and understand, about the true nature of reality and the human being's unique position in relation to it.

It's like we are just STARTING to come out of a long dark age now.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
It's like we are just STARTING to come out of a long dark age now.

Well more accurately, we now have the communication technology to distribute the information.

The knowlege that used to take 50 years to accumulate at the feet of a guru in some himalayan cave now takes a few clicks of the mouse, if you know where to look.

Of course the information is pretty much meaningless without the experience - just another mental constuct to perpetuate the illusion

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
For me, these things all validate my faith in God or a supreme being who is consciousness itself, and a first/last cause. I think some of the conclusions drawn in the OP's reference, are false. Reality is real, and while I experience it, I do not create it. I don't make the moon real by looking at it. No, the real reality of reality is upheld by the universal consciousness of the creator, and we are the ones with the good fortune of having been included in that creation, in being given a share in it, as co inheritors. I am like a point or a sphere within a larger sphere, and my consciousness shares something of the eternal consciousness, and therefore, without any loss of integrity, I shall participate in an ever increasing sphere of consciousness, forever, and at the most fundamental level, being here now, we always were part of it. We are a part of God consciousness which creates the world. So I say welcome to the end of time, welcome to the eternal kingdom of light and love, welcome to the kingdom of heaven, if you can forgive as you are forgiven, and not be locked up and locked out within a purely subjective prison of your own making, and which will be unable to reconcile itself to the all when the time comes to rejoin the fold and get your re-assignment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join