It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. boycotts racism conference, says it 'singles out' Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

U.S. boycotts racism conference, says it 'singles out' Israel

www.cnn.com

The United States is boycotting a U.N. conference on racism next week over a document that "singles out" Israel in its criticism and conflicts with the nation's "commitment to unfettered free speech," the U.S. State Department said Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Ok maybe i am missing something ATS'ers, but why the hell are there conferences still on racism? Yes it exists, no you cannot get rid of it and i see no useful purpose when we have super powers in the world where every color is represented. I know we are boycotting it because of anti israel language, but still, i dont see a purpose in this.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Thought about posting this too.

What I want to know is, when do the USA start defending free speech. Or for that matter any part of the constitution.

I see this more as fireworks, its a pretty show, but all in all its just something exploding...

It's a nice gesture, but also very arrogant.

But the State Department said the text retains troubling elements that suggest support for restrictions on free speech and an affirmation of the findings of the first World Conference Against Racism, held in Durban, South Africa, in 2001 that the U.S cannot endorse.

Heres a snippet.

Everyone is all paranoid of the race topic right now, I think he may just not want to possibly offend anyone at all. He's a friendly guy, palling around with Hugo Chavez (a no term president) Castro (a no term dictator) (If you need sources i'll get em for you).

I guess so noones feelings get hurt (God forbid),

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Uhhh just looking at this from a broader view:

U.S decides to boycott the conference because.... it singles out Israel...

U.S decides to boycott the conference because it singles out Israel...

Something doesn't ring right. Why in the world is the United States of America bowing out in the name of Israel?

Israel and the US are two different countries. Why would the US give a damn?

Oh wait I forgot, the Israel lobby dominates all aspects of US government.

Rahm Emmanuel: Yo Barack, ditch that conference homie.
Barack Obama: You know it

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
What i'm wondering is, why is the U.N is having a "racism conference" in the first place? Are they planning on passing international laws against name calling? Racism sucks but what could the U.N. possibly hope to do about it? The whole thing sounds suspicious, i don't trust the U.N as far as i can pick the whole thing up and throw it. I'm glad we're not involved in this conference.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Research is apparently too much to ask for.

Are the governments of Italy, Australia and Canada also boycotting because "the israeli lobby" dominates their governments as well?

Or maybe it's because they can't be bothered to participate in a "racism" conference with a bunch of countries with pathetic track records on human rights who do nothing but babble about Israel while completely ignoring the genocide of Sudan, among things.

I guess it's not a problem since the perpetrators and victims both have dark skin?

Yet another UN body dedicated to doing nothing. If you have a few minutes to spare I'd suggest researching the first such "conference" which took place in Durban in 2001. It would be great for a laugh if it wasn't so tragic.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

You make a very valid point. The U.N. is an incredibly ineffective body when it comes to carrying out its own mandates and initiatives.

I did read about the Durban meeting in 2001 and I agree with you there too.

Who doesn’t agree full heartedly is the Congressional Black Caucus who are publicly mystified as to why America’s first Black President would not attend an International Conference on Racism.

The truth is the United States is not attending because of language regarding Israel that U.S. Representatives have been trying for months to change so a U.S. Delegation could attend.

We are in fact boycotting this Conference ‘officially’ because of said language. Some people like those members of the Congressional Black Caucus are seriously wondering why that is.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Surprise surprise, Israel gets mentioned in a conference about racism.

Not really...

They hide behind a shroud of religious historical victimization, when they aren't really the Jewish historical victims.

They're a mixed culture nation. Most notably, a mixed culture nation who have betrayed the cultures they came from by waging war with them repeatedly.

What does surprise me is that the self proclaimed world power (US) is bowing down to a middle-eastern country (Israel) with no other history but picking fights and trying to get their neighbors killed.

Let them pick their fights and make enemies of entire cultures and religions... and let them fight it alone... without funding, arming, nor assistance from the rest of us.

We'll see how long their racist "holier than thou" attitude lasts when they're standing alone.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Since President Obama is stressing America's "commitment to unfettered free speech" and our "Stance on free speech" he may want to take some time and explain these concepts to our representitives like Nancy Pelosi and Jan Schakowsky, and the DHS's Janet Napolitano since they apparently don't realize that America has a commitment to ensure the right of unfettered free speech for it's citizens, or some may think him a hypocrit.

Or does he believe the America's commitment to unfettered free speech is to everyone except America's own citizens

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I thought Obama was for Change, I guess I was wrong.
He just follow the same agenda, he is just another puppet with a different smile.

new topics

top topics

join