It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Discrimination Case Could Transform Hiring Procedures Nationwide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I think the comments made against Miley Cirus were disgusting. Comments like that against any 16 year old girl white or coloured mean Foxx is a sick disgustingly minded sap.

Fox should be imprisoned in my opinion. Any kind of racism shouldn't be tolerated. I think often coloureds think they have the legitimate right to slur white people and it's 'OK'...

It's not.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Dutty_Rag]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

Explain to me how what happened to these Fire Fighters is fair or any different? Are you saying these Fire Fighters are Racist because they want equality and a chance at advancement when they earn it?

In what way is discrimination against anyone a good thing? Exactly how does that improve things?

You don't want equality. You are criticizing these people for being upset they were thrown under the bus and all their hard work and study rendered meaningless?

To call all Whites Racists is definitive proof the accuser is a genuine dyed in the wool Racists themselves. The Majority / Minority argument is no better than the arguments made by the KKK. Same mindset exactly.

[edit on 4/19/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Racial laws, and racial bias promote racism. The laws and government are racist, whether you discriminate against one race or other - its always racist. Such laws and biases need to be removed - until this is done, then efforts to address the real problem, which is cultural, will not be able to proceed.

Cultural and class differences are valid and real barriers to people moving into jobs - however culture issues can be addressed by dealing with poverty and by education - you can't change the color of someones skin.

Until the entire debate on race is dismissed in every government forum, and the words racist and racism are erased from law and memory - then the continued misguided approach to cultural differences (by labeling them inaccurately as racial) will never be resolved.

I repeat - the discrepancy with the scores is the result of cultural issues, not racial. In no way do I believe that race has any significant impact on intelligence - however culture would definitely contribute to the difference in scores.

While it is unfortunate that many African Americans come from a culture of poverty and lack education, that is an issue that should never be addressed by racial discrimination - resolution of issues such as poverty, education, class and law should be blind to the color of your skin.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have to add this. On March 2nd of this year I was fired from my job. I am a white man and was the 2nd shift supervisor at a large distribution center. I managed 18 people directly and about 40 or so indirectly. When I was hired in July of last year I was the only white person in the warehouse. I hired a white guy about a month after I got there and several of my employees called the EEOC because of it. My warehouse lead had a lawsuit against the company for sexual harrassment from several months earlier. I caught her on several occassions stealing and cheating the company. I was told by upper management to let it go and not worry about it. I had 5 more positions to fill and was told that it would be too risky and too much trouble to hire another white person. I had no qualified applicants that were black and had several that were white. I was forced to fill all positions with the unqualified black candidates, three of which failer their background checks. My lead was caught again cheating the company and I confronted her and she screamed at me and cursed me in front of my entire team. She called her attorney that next morning and added me to her suit against the company. The next day I was fired. My boss gave me a form to sign saying if I would agree to not sue them then they would give me 8 weeks severance and continue my insurance and consider me laid off due to lack of work so I could get unemployment. This is the same company that was told by Affirmative Action that they needed 1 more black salesperson and 1 more female salesperson and that they could kill two birds with one stone by hiring a black woman. It has been almost a 6 months and the sales position is still unfilled because no black women have applied. After I left they promoted my lead to my position and a black woman from the order pickers to fill her slot and a black woman to fill her slot. Now in a building with 8 members of management 7 are black women.
Sounds like a clear case of reverse discrimination to me.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Wouldn't of happened to been a CVS Warehouse would it. That sounds exactly like the things I say myself.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

It was a medical distribution warehouse in Memphis TN. The place was so afraid of their employees that I caught one employee on the steps of the loading dock smoking pot and was not allowed to discipline him or send him for a drug test. When they fired me they told me that I just would not leave well enough alone and that I was a liability because of my leads lawsuit.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
yep, affirmative action..

Imagine this, a White man, with a masters from say, Yale, applies for a hmmm, State government job, or local government job, doing something with schools, or whatever. Not to mention he graduated the top of his class. the first thing they are going to look at as far as hiring, is his race, and the ratio. Now tell me how screwed up that is. then listening to the government talking about fixing things, well I dunno how you can, if you don't hire people that would be fit for the position, instead they are hiring people to make sure everything is equal, EVEN if the people they hire are not the best for the job, or have the education. That is a FACT.. FACT.. We need to start hiring people based off of education or experience. Not race.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Adrifter]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Seriously makes you wonder exactly how and why Barack Hussein Obama is in the White House. I was in complete agreement that change was needed badly in the White House, but seriously based on this thread alone was he really the most qualified?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Are some of you longing for the "good old days" when being a white man gave you an advantage over all minorities and women? Those days lasted for centuries.

Yes, in the last 40 or so years since the civil rights and feminist movements have brought discrimination to the forefront of public awareness, there have been some instances of discrimination in favor of minorities. Yes, in a perfect world only the best, brightest and most qualified candidates would receive good jobs and promotions. But we do not, never have, and probably never will live in a perfect world.

In an effort to achieve a just balance in society some mistakes have been made. That is the price of progress. Sometimes the attempt to rectify ages of past injustices have created new ones. You have to look at the problem from a long historical perspective.

BTW. I graduated in a field where employers were actively seeking qaulified minority candidates for high level positions. They were also looking for ANY candidates with a record of high achievement, but all other things being equal, they were hiring the minorities. This was in an attempt to rectify many years of past preference in favor of white men. As a caucasian I was at something of a disadvantage, though I did eventually succeed in getting jobs.

I look at it in a historical perspective. It was not the best job market in which to be a caucasian, but those institutions were badly in need of changing their hiring practices. It was my luck to have to deal with those changes just as I was entering the field. C'est la vie.

Change has to start somewhere.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

I was just wondering because that sounds a lot like the way my former employer took care of business.

reply to post by Sestias

Do I want the "good ole days" where it was easier for the white folks and men. No I don't all I want is for the person who is qualified for the job to get it. I could care less what your sex or race is. If you are deserving of the position it should be yours. All I am saying is that Affirmative Action doesn't all ways allow that to happen.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
Are some of you longing for the "good old days" when being a white man gave you an advantage over all minorities and women? Those days lasted for centuries.

How true is this really though? In the old days life basically sucked for everybody. I don't know if I'd want to be a man then if I had to go to war. I'd want to stay home with the girls.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
My philosophy on this is, that well simply, The best person suitable for the job, should well get the job.

To make me look not racist i'll put it like this...

To make yourself sound not racist, say what you just said there exactly how you said it.

I can't help but wonder if the same would have happened if it were flipped around. (I hope whatever reasoning used by those who made the decision would bring them to do the same in that case, even though it still seems wrong in my mind.) I don't know. Call it a gut instinct I guess, but I just don't think it would've happened.

The only thing that should determine who is placed in any position is if they are both qualified and capable to do the job. Capable being the bigger one. (Being passed over for being overqualified for a job is bulls*** IMO, but is off topic.) The color of ones skin or being in a minority should have absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

Those who don't understand that idea can blame it on racism and cry all they want about it, but those that do so are those I would say should have paid a little more attention in High School Economy class. The blame for their problems is our Capitalist economy.

Whether you're a business owner or just an employee of one, it's sink or swim. You have to work before you see any profit. That's just the way it is. If you want a good job, stay in school, go to college, learn about whatever job it is you want to do, and then go after that job.

It's not a perfect system and is not at all easy, but it wasn't really meant to be easy now, was it? Stop and think about that for a while.

[edit on 4/20/2009 by Americantrucker]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

What are you talking about saying that blacks have to go to seperate schools and use seperate bathrooms ? I don't know where you come from, but where i come from blacks, whites, hispanics, asians are all able to go to the same schools and use the same bathrooms.

And when did blacks LOSE their right to vote ? And really you can stop with the slavery guilt trip, it's been over for over 150 years already, oh and btw blacks were not the only slaves brought to this country. Blacks don't hold the market on being discriminated against you know. There are plenty of other races that are discriminated against, including whites. Why don't you do a little research and see how the irish and italians were discriminated against in this country not all that long ago, as well as chinese, japanese, etc.

We are all aware that blacks are still discriminated against, but so are others. By you trying to insinuate that all whites are racists, you are just as much of a racist as any other racist person regardless of skin color.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
"Reverse" Discrimination and "Reverse" Racism are two of the silliest terms on this planet. There is no such freaking thing. What is with this myth that only white people are racist? No, plenty of minorities are prejudice as well, and I find it sad that so many get away with it while caucasians who just make unpolitically correct jokes even get looked at like Klansman.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Pardon me, perhaps I am missing something here... but unless the people taking these tests are doing so from outside the country, nay, outside the hemisphere... then there shouldn't be any cultural differences.

NONE.

I would think that, culturally speaking, citizens from Maine have the same laws and values and morals as those from Alaska. Just because I am from northern Wisconsin doesn't mean that I'd be completely useless in southern Louisiana.

This whole argument about how unfair tests are because they don't take into consideration "culture" or "racial diversity" is utter nonsense. Math is still math, no matter what grade level or what country one is from. Basic mechanical skills remain the same. Problem solving is the same.

The only differences would be in language and history.

So again, unless the people taking these tests are from differing hemispheres, then there shouldn't be any argument or complaint.

And hey, as long as I'm posting... what I hate is how school systems will dummy down their test standards just so the lower denominators will feel better about themselves, or alter the score rankings to improve their federal standings.

Don't even talk about how blacks have it worse because they grew up "in the projects". So what? They can't get beyond that? How many people have similar, if not worse, backgrounds having grown up in the Appalachians?

All this is, is an excuse. A crutch.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

OFF THE RECORD !! Perhaps you should look into the Whistle Blower Laws already on the books.....They will afford you cover...and allow you to expose not only the individual but also all those that think that what he is doing is OK....I hope the government job you speak of is removed from any threat to the life and limb of any inocent persons...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

What are you talking about really? There are cultural differences between the ethnic groups in America, if anything the Bell Curve (highly controversial) proved that.

There is a learning curve when you have minorities taking a standardized test that is mostly administered to the majority, it comes with exposure. Hell back in grade school i totally bombed the reading section of the CAT and i was summarily put in a "vocational class". After one month the teacher was wondering what i was doing there. I ran laps around everyone else, most of the time i had to slow down and read a book so i wouldn't finish faster than projected, tests prove nothing.

No matter what your IQ is, if your not exposed to the common elements that are on a test, you won't do as well as someone that's been prepping and exposed to that material..why do you think they push the PSAT so hard in grade school.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I agree with you to a point...The good ole days were not good for everybody and in fact worse for sum.....The good news is that has changed,perhaps even to a point of inequity....The one thing you should understand is your freedom is not Free...Many good men stood up so that we could enjoy this life we live....If don't think your freedom is worth standing up for even to a point of loss of life....then you do not deserve to be free....and if you represent the majority we are toast...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well I am a minority and if it is assessed that another candidate is more competent than me then he should get the job.

To hire based on 'racial balancing' is a bad business decision. I mean forget that it's obviously unfair for the better candidate for a sec, it's also a bad business decision to hire a less competent person.

It's like bailing out an a dumber person... kind of
why should a company invest in a bad asset?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
My philosophy on this is, that well simply, The best person suitable for the job, should well get the job....

Ugh, i'm sick of being called racist.......just sick of it. I'm born white, and I feel like I am a bad person of it, I get told my ancestors owned and mistreated slaves, (Which personally none of my ancestors did) I get told I can get do anything I want because cops won't question a white guy, (I've been arrested by guess what a white police officer, they don't care) I get told many more things, that just aren't true, but what if my ancestors did have slaves, what would that change about me, would that make me a black killer and hater? Really? I probably still would do what I do now, be scared freakin shi000less of the gov't.

This whole sensitize america movement, is the worst thing ever. It only engages racism, limits nearly everything we say, because it might maybe possibly be construed as a racist to a certain ethnic group if they might take it offensively then your ass is sued and jailed!...

I completely empathize with your opinions here. I am glad to see others finally putting voice to this outrage, called 'Equality!'
During the recent presidential race, there was an interview with a black politician, who was NOT pro-Obama. He stated that the reason that blacks continued to play the race card, is because it works for them. I wish I remembered his name.
If the truth was ever told, THAT man told it!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join