It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. seeks hackers to protect cyber networks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

U.S. seeks hackers to protect cyber networks

www.msnbc.msn.com

Buffeted by millions of digital scans and attacks each day, federal authorities are looking for hackers — not to prosecute them, but to pay them to secure the nation's networks.

General Dynamics Information Technology put out an ad last month on behalf of the Homeland Security Department seeking someone who could "think like the bad guy." Applicants, it said, must understand hackers' tools and tactics and be able to analyze Internet traffic and identify vulnerabilities in the federal systems.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well I wonder how many will jump on this "opportunity" that government is presenting. With the threat of multiple virus' including the famed Confiker, there is alot of work to go around for hackers wanting to do some good with computers.

But how will they safeguard their systems from the inside? Hackers will always remain hackers after all. It might not be wise to let some of the most technologically inclinded people full access to government internet traffic and security.

~Keeper

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
lol, this is an advert for soldiers not protectors, the US gets BF'ed by China on a daily basis, they just want to start striking back. I agree with what they're doing merely because for the lucky programmers that do get chosen will have such 'gasmic resources thrown at them, it will make them cry.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
What I would like to know is why anything critical is connected to the Internet. Government officials and employees that connect computers containing classified information to a public network should be fired for incompetence and stupidity.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Ahh but then information is not at hand to important people when it needs to be. The whole point of the internet was to be able to divulge information and have real time updates from all sources in a time when information is the most important weapon you can posess.

As the information age is continually moving forward the "internet" is simply the best way to store information and have it transmitted at the moment that it is needed.

Surely new ways, safer ways will be developped eventually as we get into the age of nanotech and wireless technology that actually works properly, but until then, we have to work with what we have.

~KEeper

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Id say if any unknown hacker to the US Gov that applied to work for the government, the minute the make themselves known, they be under surveillance for rest their lives, regardless whether they are working for them or not.

If 100 proper hackers applied and said they "think like bad guy" and admitted they have the capability to infiltrate networks, theres no way they would be left off and not monitored, not a hope in hell! Its probably just a ploy .

They already know who is goin to have the job, they just want all the well known hackers to willingly give their names so they know whos who!

I know Id not apply if I was an American citizen and capable of accessing what I should not be able too.

Originally posted by Divinorumus
What I would like to know is why anything critical is connected to the Internet. Government officials and employees that connect computers containing classified information to a public network should be fired for incompetence and stupidity.

That never came into my mind until you said it, but I agree with you now you said it and I have thought about it!

[edit on 18-4-2009 by hunty]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by hunty
Id say if any unknown hacker to the US Gov that applied to work for the government, the minute the make themselves known, they be under surveillance for rest their lives, regardless whether they are working for them or not.

Someoen with sense, never tell people in governmenst anything.

Like above you will regret it, later.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Easy to type government hate speech. Without them no roads, water, electricity, Internet. You need them more than they need you.

The US government and any rational administration deals with the specialization and expertise gained by people doing illegal stuff all the time.

The Mob helped out with problems in Italy and nailing Mussolini supporters in WWII. After the War, Nazi scientists like Werner von Braun were brought in to develop the space program. Mobbed up unions have been and local strongmen have been helping the Democrats win elections state and federal, for 80 years.

Hackers can become culture heroes and get high paying jobs where they can accomplish more useful than making a few thousand random computers crash.

Hey, getting a life is a good thing.

Mike

[edit on 18-4-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm, that sounds like a pretty sweet job. I might have to look into that. I am actually a programmer in the military. I bet that I could get a job there pretty easily.

Oh, and FYI, there should not ever been any classified information put out on the regular internet. We have the SIPRNET for Secret information, and JWICS for Top Secret information.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

But those are the programs they will want protected more than anything. I work as a System's Engineer and know first hand how one hacker can completely destory any security system with time and the right mind.

These people I am assuming would be working with some of the most advance hardware and software that military and the government has to offer for defense.

If I were the people hiring I would have them build a new system to keep hackers out, a sort of blanket covering the entire system as a whole. It would take time, alot of coding, but with the right people it could be done flawlessly....well somewhat flawlessly.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Hmmm, maybe we could get some hackers in there and they could bring the worthless government to it's knees. Got to be a better way than armed revolution.

I do doubt that they would let a hacker near anything sensitive. They just want to know who they are so they can track them. Must keep everyone under their thumb, you know. Can't let anyone do what they are doing becaue we are just a bunch of citizen terrorists.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I knew it!
I just knew this day would come!

CYBER WAR has just been declared!

The next step will be building super computers that continually attack the others networks it will be an all out SCI FI battle of the microchips!

CRY HAVOC!

Let slip the Dogs of war!

[edit on 18-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
How about they hire Gary Mckinnon instead of trying to extradite him due to possible sensitive details he may or may not have stumbled across when he hacked into US government websites/databases like NASA and the Dept for defence and so on.

en.wikipedia.org...

Give the guy a break and give him a job if he is so high up the wanted list.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There are a lot of white hat hackers that would love government jobs.

en.wikipedia.org...

With the right computers a white hat hacker could shut down hacker bot nets and make them useless.

They could also put a stop to spamer bot nets by overloading them. or making them imposable to make money with.

The internet would be a better place without the problems caused by hackers attack every one.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

The sad thing is that they did not say where could one sign up anonymously!
That would have been cool.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

There are a lot of white hat hackers that would love government jobs.

With the right computers a white hat hacker could shut down hacker bot nets and make them useless.

They could also put a stop to spamer bot nets by overloading them. or making them imposable to make money with.

The internet would be a better place without the problems caused by hackers attack every one.

Agree totally. Formally or informally they need to have a large scale promoted amnesty program.

Coming in out of the Cold would have a romantic adventure appeal to lonre gun nut hackers. Like the Hollywood concept in "Dirty Dozen" Government gathers all the psycho killer geniuses and psychos in military prisons to form a special missions unit.

Of course these guys are internally programmed not to play by the rules. So new set of problems.

But talent is talent. Why let it go to waste.

Mike

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
Hmmmmmm, that sounds like a pretty sweet job. I might have to look into that. I am actually a programmer in the military. I bet that I could get a job there pretty easily.

Oh, and FYI, there should not ever been any classified information put out on the regular internet. We have the SIPRNET for Secret information, and JWICS for Top Secret information.

Don't you mean to say, that you HAD (
), those secure networks. I mean its only been a few months since the SIPRNET incident.

Seriously though, if its attached to a mainframe then its just a mater of time, then you have all those analysts presenting theories on "what to do" and "what not to do", i mean reminds me of school teachers trying to catch students smoking in the toilets.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is a bunch of bologna. They arent going to hire hackers. If youve broken the law they arent going to hire you, anotherwords theyre going to hire the same people theyve been hiring. This ad is /fail.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The government has done this since the invention of computers. This is nothing new.

Hackers have a taj mahal of hacking...Ft. Knox. But no one has penetrated it. Why?

Because the systems are designed by the best hackers in teh world.
In fact, many hackers, hack, to do just that, get a cool job. I have met very few who do it for money. Just notatriety and bragging rights. Except and old aquantence of mine who kept hacking comcast for free internet.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

Obviously you have never seen the movie, Catch me if you can.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join