It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV has an impact on emotions, feelings and thoughts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Never really been into certain theories such as “TV is mind control” but recently I have seen how much TV can have an effect on our day to day life. First off I see myself as a strong person, even through difficult and complicating times I still find myself balanced. I’m not religious` but I am spiritual, that’s something I cannot hide from as no matter what path I take in life the signpost always point to spirituality. This has brought many great people into my life who I wouldn’t normally meet. I’m probably like most of you on ATS, you know the truth is out there somewhere but it’s being kept from us. However I don’t just jump on the band wagon on any theory I discover, I observe it myself and make my own judgment.

I’m single at the moment (No sorry this isn’t’ an advertisement) so when I’m home I mainly sit right here on my PC or Xbox360. I hardly ever watch TV when I’m at home, in fact I the only time I do is Christmas. The reason I don’t watch TV is simply because it doesn’t interest me, it used to but whatever interest in TV I had is gone. Recently though I have been spending a lot of time at a friend’s house and he does watch TV. So in the last month or so my TV watching has gone up by about 60% simply because I cannot just say to my friend “Turn the TV off, let’s talk instead” god he would think I have taken some illegal substance, or consumed large amounts of alcohol.

During my time watching TV at my friends I found myself getting more and more agitated, I’m not really sure what I was getting agitated at. Was it the stream of compulsive thinking TV creates, or was it the constant BS that TV feeds us? You need to do this, you need to be that, you need to take some of this and give us some of that. I also found interaction between me and my friend became minimal in comparison to not watching TV. Only a slight laugh or “Did you see that” if there was any conversation is was normally based on the TV show playing out on the TV set.

This may only sound like minor changes but you would be surprised at what impact this has on your emotions, feelings and thoughts. In fact thinking is all that TV ever is; you sit down at the end of your day to relax to take the load off your mind, when in reality you are only adding to the load. Social interaction becomes minimum as you sit there thinking yourself to death. It may be that you enjoy TV and the shows you choose to watch, the result is still the same. Ask yourself this though; do the characters/people you see on TV have any effect on your day to day judgment of other people?

Since Thursday night I have been away from my friend’s house and instead of watching TV I have been doing other things, I have found myself speaking and interacting with more people. I have found myself having conversations I wouldn’t normally have. I feel a lot happier and less judgmental, even confidence and balance has risen since taking a break from TV. Now I don’t believe there is some crazy frequency or something being played through the TV resulting in mind control. I do believe though what we see others do on TV “mainly in fiction based programs” has a huge impact on the way we go about our day to day life.

Don’t take my word for it though “Sorry not my style” you can observe it for yourself. Take a few days off from watching TV or if that’s a “NO NO” just keep an eye on how your character changes. It may only be a minor change; once again you will be surprised at what impact this has on you. Also keep eye on interaction if you are watching the TV with others, and finally be aware of your emotions and feelings. The case may be you see something sad on TV, or maybe something that makes you angry, happy.. observe how this impacts your day to day life.

It would be interesting to find out if others experience the same effects as me, once again I’m not saying I believe TV part of some mind control.

Thanks for reading

IamNow

[edit on 18-4-2009 by IamNow]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Good thread

I have always viewed TV as a tool, but just how many uses does this tool have, and are the governments using this tool to achieve certain results?

Im going to add this video I uploaded yesterday as it shows how we are being manipulated.

(click to open player in new window)

*edit to add some links*]

Why do countless American people go along with the War on Iraq? Why do so many people call for a police state control grid? A major component to a full understanding of why this kind of governmental and corporate corruption is to discover the modern science of mind control and social engineering. It's baffling to merely glance at the stacks of documentation that this world government isn't being constructed for the greater good of humanity. Although there are a growing number of people waking up the reality of our growing transparent soft cage, there seems to be just enough citizens who are choosing to remain asleep. Worse yet, there are even those who were at least partially awake at one time but found it necessary to return to the slumber of dreamland.
Mass Mind Control
Through Network Television

and another link:

From the moment our senses first register the presence of our parents we are being shown the way that life apparently is. Through no fault of ours or theirs, our parents begin the programming process as their views of life, shaped by their education, employment and the media are imposed on us. Formal education through schools, colleges and universities continues the systematic indoctrination where the 'correct' views and interpretations of science, history and society result in exam passes and the ability to 'get on' in life. Alternative views and the rejection of establishment education lead to supposedly lesser jobs and a struggle against economic poverty. Our entire understanding of the world and current affairs is filtered through the mass media, interpreted by journalists and so-called experts. Their views become our views simply because we are not offered any alternatives. To overcome daily problems within society we turn to elected representatives of our community. We give our decision-making abilities to these few people who are increasingly remote, as local council power is removed to national government and ever more to Europe.
Mass Mind Control

[edit on 18-4-2009 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Well yes I suppose more of a tool than actual mind control; I feel some of the things broadcasted on Television are for reason. Anyway I will watch the video you posted and report back

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I have always felt the same way about books. I grew up in a very relgious home where TV viewing was very limited and very strict on what we could watch. So, I was left to read. I read all kinds of books - even ones forbidden by my parents

Anyways, I think reading some books can have the same affect on the mind/emotions as watching TV.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Good Thread OP, and excellent video Dragonfire. I don't disagree with either of you. I think if a person allows the media to be their primary source of ANYTHING, they're in trouble. It shouldn't be used as a drug, something to keep ourselves self-medicated against personal responsibility or difficulty.

I watch TV. I have come to not use it as a background noise as I used to. I want to be focused upon what I hear and see. Television, and all media, has to sell something in order to make money to support itself, and they rely upon some basic tools to sell goods to us, the viewer. Well, we don't need most of that crap. I sure don't need a shiny new automobile. I've never bought a new car in my life, and don't think it's going to happen. I do have some nonvital conveniences........ this computer is one of them.

I think it's relative to being responsible for one's choices. Like you, I am conscious of at least some of the direct disinformation and conditioning that is fed to us, particularly in the *cough* news. I can recall a distant time when news seems like just a reporting of what happened. Of course, there was spin then as well, but reporting was more neutral and actually had protocols and a sense of fairness attached to it.

Modern reporting is bought and sold. We can see the same even "spun" through various networks' eyes. There seems little absolute truth any longer, unless one makes it for themselves.

We have to have the stones to cry [bovine excrement] and not be afraid of our perceptions of BIG Government coming to "get" us. Especially US citizens. People are afraid of speaking ill of their government. It's reminiscent of McCarthyism. TV feeds our fears, just as it is supposed to.

Also, I think........ much of the "armageddon-like" quality of entertainment lately is because such thinking is become more mainstream and accepted. Face it, some of us who used to be considered seriously paranoid..... some of our friends and family are now coming around to our way of thinking. Such things are much more marketable these days, and that makes money as well.

It's a wild ride these days. We're not the first generation to think so.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IamNow

I’m single at the moment (No sorry this isn’t’ an advertisement) so when I’m home I mainly sit right here on my PC or Xbox360.

So I don't want to ruin your game here or anything, I do agree that TV has some of the worst effects on the human mind of any other invention of our time.

However the same can be said for video games. Now I am an avid gamer at the old age of 35 mainly because it provides quality time with my family, but you are doing more when playing video games then simply being subjected to TV.

You are interacting with the environment, being bombarded with violence and adds that you may not even be aware of, yet they are there. I am by no means saying video games themselves are dangerous, everything is in the hands of the people in charge of such things.

In my house my children watch tv, and play video games on a daily basis, however I have educated them in what to look for and what to ignore in tersm of adds and hidden messages that could hurt or alter their development.

It's a very slippery slope we have today, the veil is very wide and it is up to each and everyone of us to further to knowledge of how destructive it can be.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

True I am not saying spending time on computers is good for you, I was saying the 60% increase in watching TV had a much bigger effect on my day to day life. I'm pretty confident if I cut out PC, Xbox, and TV I would be a lot more awake.

Within a month I have noticed big changes in day to day life, more agitated, frustrated, angry, and sad. As already pointed out most of this is due to the “News” we all know times are hard, and I don’t see any reason for the media to keep pointing this out.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Thanks for posting the video, pretty much agree with it. I didn't really see it as mind control until I watched the video, but I now see how it can control somebody. The part on Fashion was really intresting, how more controling can anything get.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I also found myself becoming really focused on the TV set when certain programs or advertisements are on. It’s like everything around you becomes invisible, it like sometimes “You are someplace else” the only way I can explain it is hypnosis.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IamNow

OMG I was about to do a thread on this today, you must have read my mind. No joke I was reading about this very subject this afternoon and it struck me as so true I was going to do a thread on it. Wow.

The book I was reading said TV AND the internet are a form of making us unconscious (as not in our now) and it gave ways of beating this "mind manipulation"

So looks like I whont be doing that thread after all!! Maybe you read the same book as me hey

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

Hehe funny how things work out hey, oh well your here now so you may as well share with us whatever it is you were going to post

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamNow
reply to post by Mr Green

Hehe funny how things work out hey, oh well your here now so you may as well share with us whatever it is you were going to post

Yes its almost spooky how you have done this but as you say I will now share my views with you on this thread...I still say its more than coincidence this has happened LOL

The book I was reading was a New Earth by Eckart Tolle. In it he says by age 60 the average American will have watched TV for 15 years!! can you believe that, 15 years, the figure was very similar for Europeans too . He says people mistake TV for relaxation, but in reality it is nothing of the sort. It appears relaxing because as the viewer watches TV their thought activity becomes suspended which in effect is slowing the mind s chatter down. It is the lessening of mind chatter they are percieving as relaxing and NOT the TV show. as their mind becomes quite they forget about their problems, they are temporarily free of themselves and they achieve a sort of inner space.

The problem with this "percieved inner space" is that it is not a present inner space, one of consciousness and awarness it is one of unconsciousness linked with the collective mind achieved through the TV.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
One way to avoid the conscious and subliminal effects of TV commercials is the us of DVR (TIVO). When the commercials start, just hit the buttons and get through them. You would be surprised how much more enjoyable it is to watch something like "Heroes" or "Fringe" without commercials.
Seriously, one must be careful of what one watches. But don't depend on the TV for your only source of news. Spend time listening to talk radio. Check out legitimate internet sources. And then, most importantly, spend some time on your own, in peace and quiet, making YOUR OWN DECISIONS, rather than letting MSM make them for you.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The movie discussed in your video, LDragonFire....looks very interesting.

Therefore I have found a link to it online, if anyone wants to watch....
www.themoviesempire.com...

That's all!
Buh Bye.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here are the 2nd and 3rd videos of this series.

Wake up people there all about you, all around you!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
do you think the world could survive without TV IAM Now? I could survive totally without it, but what about those that make it part of their life? Can the world survive without TV I wonder?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
We I’m pretty confident to say yes we would survive, in fact it would probably open up many new doors for more practical activities. People would spend more time interacting with the people around them, and less time interacting with a script played out on a TV set. It’s been like this for some time now, people think sitting in front of a TV set is going to make them feel better or relax them. I can take a walk in nature see things far more interesting than on a TV set and feel totally relaxed at the end of the day. However my time walking in nature cleared the clutter that’s constantly being bombarded at us.

TV is entertainment some may say, what’s entertaining about watching people suffer. That’s all TV is a means of watching somebody else suffer. Be it the News, Soaps, Reality TV, Comedy (A laugh aimed at somebody’s suffering) all it’s ever done it make us more judgmental. You brought up a very interesting fact “People spend 15 years of their life watching TV” well now add all the time people spend talking about TV. It must be the number one topic of conversation in both Schools and Work places. People spend more time talking about other people lives than their own, they become more and more detached with what’s actually going on.

So yes I think we can indeed survive without TV, we don’t need to see other people suffering, and we sure don’t need products being thrown in our face 24/7. If word of mouth never worked in their advertising, they should skip the in your face with a jingle approach and leave us alone.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Watching TV I believe moves your spirit downward, what I mean is it has a tendancy to cause you to fall below spirit rather than grow and rise.

TV is like alcohol, drugs and sex. It may provide some relief from your mind , you pay for this with a high cost, the cost of unconsciousness. It too like the above is addictive if not seen through a totally awake mind.

Hey how many times have you just sat there watching the ads or some channel you have NO interest in, you watch rather than reach for the off button, the off button is the hardest button to press, youd rather push and view 100 channels than push the old OFF button. TV IS addictive because it stops you being conscious in spirit.

Frequent and prolonged TV watching not only makes you unconscious, it also induces passivity and drains you of energy.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Mr Green]

top topics

join