It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going back to PC gaming!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Hey gamers,

LONG time gamer here, 23 years. First console, Atari 2600, first game Pac Man.

I played them all and owned them all. Anyways, is anybody else getting tired of console gaming?

I just went back to the PC and started the MMO thing again. I also forgot how awesome a shooter is on a keyboard and mouse. Also my new gaming laptop has a built in mic so no need to for clunky headsets.

I am loving Quake Live, TF2 on Steam and Warhammer. I sold all my xbox games and just have the console sitting as a media center.

PC gaming is far from dead (so i had thought!). Anybody else ever leave PC gaming and came back? Or has anyone never left? I feel like I would be OK to never play a console again.

EDIT: Typos

[edit on 18-4-2009 by mvirata]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I left and will never return, aside from the minesweeper/spider solitare games.

Now if you buy me a custom pc, I may convert back...Otherwise I'll stick to my 360 & Oblvion, FO3, Civ:Rev games.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mvirata

My very first games console was very similar to one of these on the front page of this site;
www.thegameconsole.com...
All we had was the 'tennis' game.

the next step up was the Texas TI99/4a

CPU TI TMS 9900 (with 256 bytes 'cache', actually it accesses to 256 bytes of RAM)
SPEED 3,3 MHz
CO-PROCESSOR TMS 9918 (TMS 9929 in Europe) - Video / Sprite
RAM 16 KB - Memory expansion card can be added : 4 KB or 32 KB (up to 52 KB)
VRAM 16 KB
ROM 26 KB : 8 KB ROM connected to the CPU + 18 KB ROM in byte-serial bit-mapped circuits (usually known as GROM, Graphic Only Memory)
TEXT MODES 32 x 24 (16 colors), 40 x 24 (2 colors)

Well, after a few years, computers became almost non existent for home users except for the Atari consoles and the ZX Spectrum. Never had either of those..

Then I jumped straight onto Sega Saturn ... got burgled and lost that though..

So it wasn't until about 1998 that I got into desktop computers and enjoy the gaming experience on this far more than any console

Have had an Xbox and hav eplayed on friends Play stations, but for my personal preference, you just can't beat using a computer for game play..

Superior game load speeds, game saving, graphics and, until recently, more options for sound devices. Instead of the console becoming out of date, you just upgrade your graphics card on your computer.. new games are never a problem.

As for online games, then there are mant MMORPGs to choose from.
I'm a bt of a fan of
Silkroad online
Anarchy online
Voyage Century
Entropia
and one or two others from time to time.

Consoles? Keep them... I'm far happier with the ability of a computer and its freedom of choice on the net.. Why pay for a game on a console when you can play for free on the internet... anywhere...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
well i played quite a few first-person shooters, "GTA:SA" with the multi-player mod, and "Test Drive: Unlimited" - all AWESOME games!

i played "Battlefield: Vietnam" and "Battlefield 2" mostly, and i got VERY good at them, especially at flying the choppers... (played BF2 for years..)

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" was especially fun in MP, and in "TD:U" i had a blast driving around on an exact replica of Oahu island in Hawaii in supercars!

right now, basically, i've traded gaming for truth-seeking, and ATS!
i'm 25 now, have a wife, with a child on the way, so i have a feeling i'm done with gaming... although, if i ever buy a new gaming rig, i'd probably play MANY games, but then the wife might leave me! :shk:

...i also played "Far Cry", "Half-Life 2", a little "Counter-Strike: Source", and "Call of Duty" 1 & 2... (i liked the realistic shooters, and wasn't much into the whole "Quake" thing...)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I went the opposite way and ended up taking a multi year break from console gaming in favor of the PC and am just now heading back in order to have some variety to play. Over three years of playing World of Warcraft has given me a deep appreciation of single player games :bnghd:

I must admit graphically games have changed a good bit since I left consoles, of course now its pretty much required to have a quality HDTV setup in order to maximize the visual experience with the 360 and PS3 so it almost seems like now console gaming is the domain of children with rich parents or more likely the 21-27 crowd with lots of disposable income.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Consoles never appealed to me, I've actually tried in a friend's house. I've seen a demo of PS3 with GT5 on an HDTV

PC is infinitely better (for me), for a decent gaming setup(emphasis on a fast Graphics Card) that could be bought below $800(Like one I recently assembled lately - the box only):

-Better graphics (rendering) quality and performance than any console/console game can deliver
-Games are 'full package', usually console versions have some features disabled or generally, less content
-PC games are fully customizable with downloaded mods or mods you made yourself. Mods that can completely change the appearance, objects, physics, even the gameplay itself for example.
-PC's have a wider variety of controllers available to them, they can also use console controller(Like the Logitech PS3 steering wheel I'm using on my PC)
-Assembled PC's can have their parts easily and cheaply upgraded over-time.
-PC games are generally more realistic in content and gameplay than their console counterparts - this may not be an advantage for others who just want to relax with a game, not a game that is too challenging to be relaxing!
-You can also watch HD movies on PC, generally have far greater amount of storage in gigabytes, and can do a lot more than just multimedia and gaming

Only one advantage consoles have over PC I can think of - easier to setup and use. PC gaming is not dead, they are actually more alive than consoles - more game content! Simply due to greater processing power and versatility PC's can offer

[edit on 31-5-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I left PC gaming, and don't really plan on going back. It was fine when I was single, and could spend the money and time constantly tricking out my PC, but these days, when I get the time to play a game, I want to just turn on the console, insert game, and play. And, I gotta say, on a nice big HDTV, it is a very beautiful thing....Oblivion on XBox is still my favorite...just about everything I could want in a game (except that it's only one player)....

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Check this
loads of fun

www.urbanterror.net...

Urban Terror™ is a free multiplayer first person shooter, that (thanks to ioquake3) does not require Quake III Arena. It is available for Windows, Linux and Macintosh. The current version is 4.1.

Urban Terror can be described as a Hollywood tactical shooter; somewhat realism based, but the motto is "fun over realism". This results in a very unique, enjoyable and addictive game.

No registration required: Download, install, play!

I litreally found this last week.. Some players are so very skilled at this. Really makes you wonder how they do it when you are just about getting your legs ready to walk...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I left PC gaming, and don't really plan on going back. It was fine when I was single, and could spend the money and time constantly tricking out my PC, but these days, when I get the time to play a game, I want to just turn on the console, insert game, and play. And, I gotta say, on a nice big HDTV, it is a very beautiful thing....Oblivion on XBox is still my favorite...just about everything I could want in a game (except that it's only one player)....

Lol, who says you can't hook up a PC into an HDTV! The PC I have, has HDMI interface for HDTV's, and an 8-speaker audio capability. My peripherals are wireless, mouse, keyboard, joystick, except the steering wheel. So I could just grab my reclinable seat with a mouse pad and the keyboad in my lap and play in the front of a huge screen!

Of course, you are right. PC's, especially new PC's, installing games, compatibility problems, etc, etc. Consoles are a good way to avoid those!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
i have a custom built pc of which im so proud having fanstastic fps on very machine hungry games....

at the moment...i play

call of duty 2,4,5 online
company of heroes online
red alert 3 online

farcry 2, prince of persia, fallout 3 as single player

happy gaming

btw...i develop flash games for the internet too..i will post some later

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I just took a break from FFxi for a while, will probably return to the MMO scene when FFxiv comes out next year.

Im going to build a new PC to be ready when I know what game is going to be out first, since I have a couple on my list Im waiting for (Diablo 3, FFxiv, Starwars: ToR, Star Trek Online). Planning to spend a good chunk of change and get a top of the line PC so it lasts the lifetime of that generation of games Im looking into.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I left gaming for awhile, because my PC got a virus and i had to do to the system refresh or somethin, it makes it so ur PC is stock, just like when u first bought it. That deleted the one PC game i played. Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne. I stopped for a year maybe. But im back now.

top topics

join