It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New video shows G20 protest clash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

New video shows G20 protest clash

news.bbc.co.uk

A third incident involving policing of the G20 protest in London has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

It comes amid an investigation into the death of newspaper seller Ian Tomlinson, who died after being pushed over by police on 1 April.

Another protester says she was hit by police in the face a day later.

The complaint about the third incident is believed to allege an officer used excessive force on 1 April.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said it was taking steps to identify the officer involved in the incident which prompted the third referral.

[snip]
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

Trimmed news snippet

[edit on 4/20/2009 by semperfortis]

[edit on 20/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Its not looking good for the MET, three IPCC cases plus the backlash from the hillsborough incident i do believe something postitive can come out of it if they really do intend to change tactics

After being there on the day i can tell you they desperately need to change attitudes and tactics towards peacefull protests and peacefull protestors.

I firmly believe that those same tactics caused most of the problems on the days E.G kettling and blatent antagonism.

What do the clever people at ATS think about this? what do you think could/would help in this whole mess?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8005390.stm

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Reading]

[edit on 4/20/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Perhaps if the police did not treat the people as if we are Below them, then we wouldnt feel as...intimidated by them. Ive only ever had to deal with the police on no more then 3 occassions, one of them being on a night out when they where stopping a silly fight between my friends. The way they acted was as if they wanted to arrest one of them, Stepping in his space and telling him to leave - That is no way to "calm things down" Your just removing him from one fight and bullying him into another.
I agree, drunken fights are silly, violent and pointless, but they should handle things more evenly.

From some of the clips ive seen of the G20 protests i see them using the same tactics - putting themselfs in peoples way, crowding them, stepping in peoples personal space.
Maybe if they employed proper human beings to enforce the law, didnt bend the rules for themselves and stopped trying to make people angry so that they react agressively, i think things might smoothen out.
But thats never going to happen. The lines have been drawn, stick with your guns.

Also, how will it take 3 years to prosecute the officer who murderd mr. tomlinson? Its on film, clear as day. Guy should be already sitting in a cell i say.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The problem with todays police force in the UK is that they employ men and women who are on personal vendettas against those who bullied/teased them while they were in school or in the street. They think owning a uniform gives them the right to do whatever the hell they want and that the badge will let them get away with it.
Theres little discipline and more a show of strength than self-discipline. There trained in bullying tactics and how to deal with violent behaviour by being aggresive back, in the army your taught to avoid violent confrontations altogether so I dont see why the police should be any different when dealing with members of the public.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This much is true, they need to deal with things differently i have seen them act that way on many a night out they do want to arrest people because i believe they have quotas to make not sure about that though.

The way they may or not be trained to deal with violent confrontation is way wrong you dont deal with confrontation with more confrontation.

i remember a night out once and we came across two guys sqauring up to eachover about to have it off, all of a sudden one of the guys sits down cross legged completetly non aggressive long story short they ended up chatting and avoided a fight, when quite clearly it could of gone the other way to me thats how you deal with confrontation.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Oh dear make that 4 cases just watched the news and another video has surfaced showing police violence. Shows a man being hit in the head with a shield he clearly cant go anywhere because the police have blocked him in.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Where are all the people who should be talking about this here? its funny if i made a thread talking about some religous/alien/nibiru/antichrist you name it bullsh*t i bet there would be a ton of replies.

shame when its actaully fact and documented with videos people dont seem to care such a shame i know now how we got into this mess

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Yes, these incidents of police brutality are...well quite disturbing to be honest. What bothers me just as much is that many people don't seem to be particularly bothered.

To be honest i am not really sure what my point is, but a little more awareness of and interest in this incident by the people of the UK might help. This kind of police thuggery starts ringing alarm bells for me. For many however, as long as they have their televisions with their reality shows and other such nonesense then it doesn't matter. But the minute it starts to affect them on an individual basis then people might start to take notice, although by then it will probably be too late.

Not that i am advocating violence or conflict in any way, but just for people to pay more attention and speak up when it really matters.

As Martin Luther King said: "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
i wonder how many more cases of police brutality were erased, when the nazi scummers made people delete pictures and video from their cameras.

The only reason that any of these cases have come to light, is because of the people reporting it with evidence. If the people at the Demo (and future protests) carry on like this, the police will HAVE to change tactics. I love thev way the media has slowly changed its angle over the past few weeks of this incident. Slowly realising that they'd been fed loads of BS to give to the public.

Don't hate the media, be the media.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
To be honest i am not really sure what my point is, but a little more awareness of and interest in this incident by the people of the UK might help. This kind of police thuggery starts ringing alarm bells for me.

Well, if I'm brutally honest this is nothing new and only being reported by the MSM because of Ian Tomlinson's death. I've witnessed far worse myself and nothing has been done, people have been outspoken in the past but the masses are only starting to stir in their sleep about what has been happening right in front of their noses. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that these vicious men and women are starting to get their comeuppance but I also fear it's too little, too late. I get the impression that this is just a passing fad, soon people will have more interest in celebrity Big Brother and their favourite soap operas, police brutality will become a distant memory - if that.

The current system is rotten to the core, if it wasn't for the huge and somewhat unexpected fuss recently I don't think any officers would be facing anything worse than a slap on the wrist. Cooking post-mortems, lying to the public and violence towards innocent citizens came so easily (because it's so commonplace) - that should demonstrate to the whole world that the police are absolutely corrupt and unjust in this country.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by Goathief]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I've dealt with the police a fair bit, generally because if you wear tracksuit bottoms and hoody's, your obviously going to rob or mug someone.

The police are scum, not in general, I know there are some good police, I had one living near me until recently and I have ran into the odd 'sound' police dude although these are VERY few and far between.

They are authoritarian bully's who think themselves important for no other reason than they can boss people around, they don't request, they order.

I've had a few cases of outright aggression, one time about 5 years ago, they slamed my mates head into a phone box for NO reason, we were trying to get a taxi and they just walked over. NO questions, just opened the phone box and slammed his head into it. They knew they were in the wrong and wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court other wise they would've arrested me for kicking off and fronting them, instead they just walked off laughing.

This is one in many bad experiences I have had with them, from my experience they are not there to help you and they do not care about their job, for the most part.

EMM

new topics

top topics

join