It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Question : what way is up?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Well i am happy to see everyone having a thought full debate

you can tell a person by the logic of the answers
some wish to make sens of it and others just feel free to admit it..

There is NO up :@) you are always relative to the direction.. its about you not the word.

we use many many words without understanding in fact the true meaning or how much we lack understanding of the impact they on our life.

great question to ask in the pub!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by symmetricAvenger

I'm subjective about it, the opposite of the direction my feet are. Honestly, I am being serious.

What if you are standing on your head?

Up ha to be the opposite of what a falling object shows to be down. And that changes depending on where you drop it from.

What a weird question,

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain

Simple Question : what way is up?

For a person standing upright, the direction 'up' will be directly overhead.

Of course, since we live on the surface of a roughly spherical planet, the direction 'up' will be different for everybody who's standing on a unique place on the Earth's surface.

It's a completely 'relative' direction - relative to one's location.

This is a great way to illustrate how 6-billion different people might have 6-billion different 'opinions' or 'viewpoints' on a single 'issue' ...

Definately some 'food for thought' here !

this is one of my fav posts so far
Read what the poster is infact saying

This is a great way to illustrate how 6-billion different people might have 6-billion different 'opinions' or 'viewpoints' on a single 'issue

and his he mistaken?
i think not!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Infinite space cannot have an up or down, as it is infinite in all directions.

However, if we base up in terms of limited space, like what we have on Earth, then we can create a reference point if we adhere to gravity and spacial observations. Up can be in the opposite of gravitational pull, as we have a gravitational reference for it.

Other then that, there is no up.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
not to be a hard @$$ but wouldnt up be directly north of wherever you are?

you point directly north, not pointing towards the north pole, because that would be on an angle, and directly north, (give or take 23.5 degrees, for seasons) would be up, as relative to the sun....

nvm, your right, lmao

forgot that the universe isnt flat, im slow

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by iwishicould

lol!!!

i liked that post made me chuckle

this is our problem iwishicould.. the words we use do not refelct our reality

humans do not understand the question that is being asked why?

the universe IS a question and if you ask a question a question what do you get?

INFINITY

its all in your mind

if your mind looked in the mirror it would relfect the universe ; )

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

To the symmetricAvenger, first off let me say Hello. I checked some of your posts in other threads, interesting.

In answer to your question which way is up, there really is no answer at least from "where" I stand. I can see that this is going to be difficult to explain. By saying that 'I stand', it implies I am standing "UP". But I just said there is no "UP". Let me see if I can cut to the chase, in order for UP or DOWN to have any validity you must assume that they both exist. That is to say there is duality. UP is one direction and DOWN is another direction. What if there was no direction? This would imply that there is no duality. This reality may appear to be divided but it is in fact composed of only one thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Most Infamous

spot on. there is no up or down or left or right.. its a measurement of your mind.

I mean it is needed there is a logical up and down left and right.. but in essence in infinity there is no direction other than from the point of origin and we are that point of origin "your mind".

if you was upside down in a upside down right side up box you would still be the right way up.

its perception.

one just needs to understand WE are the reason for everything, our logic shapes who we are.

Be clear in mind always.. clean yourself off brush away the cobwebs and life will speak clear very very clear.

we have a job to do.. and that's to keep our reality going

The universe Requires us to ask but it does not require us to ask "of" it simply does not work that way.

take the time to look at tree.. that is showing more than people understand.. and in the bible "and not im not a god fanboy" but it does say the tree of life.

the question is the trunk the branch is the choice and the leaf is the universe

we are on a very very very very very x big tree inside a leaf ^^)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
If I stand up, is the person on the opposite side of the Earth standing down?

I know, that is some deep mind candy.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, you've got it. WE are the reason for everything. This brings to mind one of your posts where you kept saying don't ask why, the question is the answer, or something similar. At first I didn't understand what exactly you were getting at but now I see (I think).

Everybody keeps asking questions. Why this, why that. They keep asking questions when the answer is staring them in the face (well, not staring at them, rather staring out of them). People ask questions and look for the answers outside. All the answers (and the questions as well) are inside (I hope).

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

now you get it

and let me say also thank you for reading my posts and taking the time to listen (read) to what in fact i was saying

gave you a star also

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Thanks for the Star, I'm flattered.

I know I shouldn't be asking questions, but it's all we got to help clear the cobwebs from our minds, as well as others. By questioning(in general) we get clearer.

OK, that being said, please excuse me while I ask one more question. We are the reason for everything, just exactly why and how?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

well we have a pardox.

God / creation / created / something / life / why /

This bunch of words all intermingle.. so ill try to put it down in an easy way.

if god was the method of creating then what was his tool?

If there is no god and the universe is normal "as you and i" then it also has a method.

This gives rise to 2 things that are important and that is method and creation

now to be created does not mean you need someone "or something" to do it .. it just means we need the right set of parameters in order to get a result from "it".

we are here for a reason all be it a little short one.. but we are indeed here.. i am not talking about just me and you here.. i am talking about the function of life itself .. a tree a cat a dog "any living thing".

we are the logical side of the patten.. chaos is the foundation of the universe..

It is not logical because we don't see the higher patten of the system. we only see the mind bending part..

infinity is a self replication of the very question "life requires" to function.. this indeed makes the paradox and gives rise to "infinity" for you cant ask a question of you do not have the chaos.

So us "we" / "life" are the answer to that question.. get it?

the universe is a question and life is its answer.. for it needs life to understand itself "kinda spooky really"

so what is a function? well life is what keeps the system going.. if there is no life there are no questions there is noting just static empty void of total nothingness...

we are a lot more important than people think or care to understand.. without "life"

there is no universe.

You are the reason IT is here and vise versa.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
CIAO.

We meet again.

It's funny, I was on this other thread "The Impossibility of the universe" when I saw your post with a link to this thread. Anyways, I noticed that most of the people posting on the other thread are thinking (most are people thinking like this, maybe you do too), that the light emitted by stars/objects in outer space are TRAVELING TO us. It was funny because I was thinking I would like to discuss this with you, as I remembered how we briefly touched on the subject of how everything comes from us, from the inside. What if it's not that the light is TRAVELING TO us but that the light is TRAVELING FROM us?

I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with which way is UP. But I didn't want to discuss this with you on the other thread as it would probably only cause the other people to....oh, I don't know, at the least to say I'm nvts,....So I thought I'd catch you on this thread when lo and behold I find a link to this thread anyways. Hope you don't mind.

As far as UP goes, I have a little more to say. But I will save that for another post, don't wanna be too long winded, a tendency that is probably annoying and one that is popping up right now.

OK, enough.

CIAO CIAO

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well is the north of our pole / planet, facing up in the galaxy or down.

Maybe when we leave the planet from the north we are realling going down in our galaxy.

What if going down in our galaxy is realling going up in the universe because our galaxy is upside down compared to others.

Then would we really being going up?

Very simple yet very great question that I know for a fact nobody can give the ultimate answer.

On earth up is opposite of gravity, so our up is actually more like outwards away from our center.

Is there really ups and downs or only ins and outs?

AHHHH too many questions to ponder. Need to let my brain relax.

Going to watch the wings game. be back on later to check what others have said.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
OK, I'm back.

I still think that people are missing the point, no offense meant, I suppose it's only natural that most people could not understand.

Things like north, south, left, right, up, down have no meaning to something that is beyond (or maybe below) human perception. Take the example of motion. In order for something to be in motion there must be at least two points of reference (two implying duality). You have Point A on one hand and Point B on the other hand. If we say that Point A is in motion, it must be in relation to Point B (Point B could be stationary but not necessarily, Point B could also be in motion, however the speed must differ from the speed of Point A). Without a reference point we could not measure the movement of any object. How could we gauge motion if there is only one thing (that is to say there is no secondary reference point). When you are in a train, you can tell that the train is moving by watching the landscape go by. OK, to watch the landscape go by would not necessarily prove that the train was moving, just that there is motion, it could be that the landscape is going by. What if, and this is a big IF, the land scape was also moving at the same speed as the train (this is implying there is no secondary reference point)? It would look as if the train was stationary. I think you see the point, in order for motion to be made apparent you need at least two points of reference. The same for direction, There would have to be a point of departure or a point of arrival(?) and the object in motion. In this case the duality is 1. the point of departure or arrival and 2. the object in motion. If we are talking about a singular universe (by this I mean that the universe as a whole being one thing) then there can be no motion nor points of departure or arrival. I just realized, I could've made this easier by saying we need two reference points to make comparisons, like comparing UP to DOWN or LEFT as opposed to RIGHT. In a singularity there can be no comparison. Compare what to what? There is the universe and that's all there is. There can be no end nor beginning. Why? Well, once again beginnings and endings are comparisons. In saying this is the start and that is end you are implying that the start is one thing and the end is another, a comparison. Not possible in a singular Universe, the start and the end are part of one thing, the same thing, the only thing and hence they must be the same. In a singular universe there is no movement. No movement, no points of departure/arrival, no direction, no UP, no DOWN.

OK, enough for now. There are still a couple points that could use clearing up, but I'm almost past the 3000 character mark. Don't want to make it too long.

Hope I'm not boring people, this is sort of elementary when one thinks of it, most never think this way. Enough.

CIAO

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
nothing boring atall!

about the motion thing.. there are awlays 3 things obverser point a and point b

In mathmatics.. this cracks me up really check it

1 apple + 1 apple = 2 appples

thats kinda normal right? "logical yes".. now lets take a closer look at this

WHO is doing 1 apple + 1 apple?? who? ME thats who .. does this not factor into the equation? of 1+1?

some say NO because why? we are talking about apples.. i say and think and do infact state

WHO is doing the 1+1 must have a factor in the very sum

why apples? why 2?

The stupid equation IS stupid? why? well we knew the answe befor we infact calculated it!! lol

the questios we as ask we know the answers to already we just dont bother to think of the stupid question...

-----------------------------------

now about lightspeed kinda thing coming from us, well infact that is correct

light really is only the speed @ wtich ur brain works on and understand things

the light specturum is static.. all particals move at the same speed but on different levels of frequencey .. what does that mean to us?

well you are the on who understand the light wave (include the rest)

we dont understand "faster than light" coz our brain and our mind is based ON light "or its speed"

faster than light would infact change your entire person and the universe "as you knew it"

going faster than light is real.. it just means you wont be in the universe that uses it as a base paratmeter

time is key and so is diolation.. "lava lamp" great post by someone on another thread

we do have other univeres... but they are not the same "cookie" but are all made from the same dohe

god i hope that made sens its late and my grammer and spelling sucks at the best of times lol

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

CIAO

I'll make this one realitively quick.

OK, you gotta me on technicality, concerning the motion thing. I was kind of thinking along the lines of the observer being one of the points in motion. Like, in terms of thinking of up and how most people are thinking terms of up in relation to themselves.

As for the other stuff, trying to keep it short so....

CIAO CIAO

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well in all honest our life as we live it is a lie in a lot of ways

we know and understand no up no down no left...

i will make a new thread with a question
so i hope you join in.. its another mind bender

there is a clue in there hehe so look out for it!!!! it will go deeper into what we talked about

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The idea of "up" is that we have the ability to perceive the world around us. if we had no way to do that(our senses) then there would be no up,down,left,right.

Therefore, there really is no up or down, its just what living organisms see and feel. Its the idea of something being around us, i cannot say "that monitor is around me", i must say "that monitor is in front of me" to give a sense of direction, otherwise no one would know what you were talking about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join