It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The State of the True America. You Choose.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I had the good fortune of visiting the UK on a month long holiday.

Even with a whole month I did have the chance to see all the things that I wanted to see nor did I have the time to visit each site as long as I would have liked.

I traveled alone but was never lonely, the entire trip. All the people I met were wonderfully kind, helpful and generous.

One thing that happened during my trip is that I was asked a question by several people that I had never contemplated nor could I answer.

Many were interested in visiting the US and wanted me to tell them which was the best State for them to choose to visit.

Each time I was asked the question I had to take pause.

As Americans we take the vastness and openness of our country for granted.

It dawned on me during my trip (for the very first time) that if I were to visit a different state every year that it would take me "50" years to vacation in each of them. "50" years!

Trying to pick one state for a person from another country to visit that would give them the true flavor and experience of America was impossible for me.

Depending on whether they envisioned America in the terms of the Old West, Colonial Mansions, Beach Bunnies or Historical Institutions would call for a visit to a different place. I could not choose "one".

So I ask you; which "one" State would you recommend for a total American experience and why?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I live in Tennessee,but I would have to say visit Texas. Texas runs the gambit. From beautiful beaches,grass range,desert land,and major history in that state. About the only things Texas doesn't have is a Colonial history,volcanos and pineapples.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

to the Title of the Thread...

The biggest 'melting pot' is still N.Y., and Cali is too dazed and confused to represent the true mentality of the country - though it has enough crazies to qualify for consideration...

o.k. - Hawaii...at least they will get laid.

mmaagrr itde!

[edit on 4/17/2009 by chapter29]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
one way i would try to answer that question is by asking them what they want to see, what kind of people do they want to meet. what kind of climate do they want to be in, how long are they going to be here. we have a train just like europe.

any one of those questions would give them a heads up on where to go. and prehaps when all else fails just tell them your fav.

good post though. im gonna give you the almighty star when im done posting this.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I have traveled widely in the US been to 32 of the 50 states "Job related"

There is just no way to tell somebody which is the best place or state to visit or vacation. It's impossible everybody will have their favorites but unless I have something specific that I'm going to do I don't travel to that location.

I've lived on both coasts, been up and down both coasts. Each state is unique some more unique than others speaking of "Cali". Whats really sad is that most Americans travel abroad more than they travel inside the US for vacations and I would hazard a guess that they do not know how beautiful this country really is.

I always get a laugh when I hear one group of Americans poking fun at another group when they themselves have never been to that said location. I love fall in the Pacific Northwest or Maine and the summers in South Cal or Hawaii, Florida beaches are OK depends on where you go IMHO

Skiing where else? Yup Aspen I'm not a big skier but I liked the lodges and the ski bunnies but that's the topic for another thread.

Mountain climbing, hiking and camping? The rockies.

Yeah we are blessed maybe in these times of austerity maybe it will do us good to spend our limited vacation money over the next few years seeing our own country, the local economies could use it

Just a thought.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Obviously my decision is deeply biased, but I would say visit the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Commonwealth covers the entire Geographic gambit, from Tidewater Lowlands, and Beaches, to Piedmont Plains, Mountains, and Valleys.

Also, within the Commonwealth you can experience the Southern flavor throughout the Central section of Virginia, the Hill side of life throughout the Western Blue Ridge area, and the Metropolitan life in the Virginia Beach, Richmond, and Northern Virginia areas.

Virginia has a lot of History as well, and a definite place in the founding of our United States. To truly learn the History of the original 13 Colonies as well, Virginia is one of the locations with which to begin your travels. Not to mention the fact that our Nation's Capital, Washington, D.C., is only a Hop, Skip, and a Jump from the Virginia border.

In terms of diversity, you can experience the entire political, racial, ethnic, and historic spectrum of individuals as you spread throughout the various regions listed above. In Central Virginia you will witness a very Conservative, Christian, and extremely Patriotic section of the Commonwealth, whereas in Northern Virginia you will run into a Liberal, Muslim/Jewish/Christian, and more Foreign/Immigrant section of Virginia (Including MANY New Yorkers). In Western Virginia you have the Democrat, Coal Country full of Learning Institutions, whereas in the Eastern Tidewater Region you have a Vast Military Community.

Therefore, I do believe that Virginia represents a great diversity of America in general. From the MIL and Government communities of Northern Virginia, and Hampton Roads, to the Farmlands of Central and Eastern Virginia, the Coal country of the Western Blue Ridge, and the Beaches and Tourism of the Northern and Southeasterly regions, the Commonwealth represents a great cross section of America in general.

BTW, I have flown to various locales in America before, and the best trip I ever had was a Family Cross Country Drive about 13 Years Ago, which took us to Wyoming, Colorado, and back (I have been to California, and the Pacific Northwest before on separate Occasions). I also have a LOT of experience in both the Deep South, Tropical South, and NY, NJ, and New England. I have even managed a few Vacations to HI as well, and I have been to Europe, Canada, and the Caribbean. So I base my opinion off of my vast experience as well.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I have been to Texas numerous times. And each time it just shouts heartland of USA.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I agree, it all depends on the persons tastes. But if I had to pick I'd pick Colorado. They have Denver for those that like citites, they have ranches for those who want to see "Cowboys", and the people are a mix of both conservatives and liberals. Plus, the weather is pretty decent. It's not too hot or too cold. Also, it's next to Wyoming so they could hop over there and see Yellowstone or Devils tower if they got the chance. Or they could take a quick trip to Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. Oh, and they have the Rockies. It's very pretty there.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Nighty,

From an authentic "Jersey Boy" I would give New York the nod. So many have come to live here through NYC. Many Americans started there and moved out across the country. If visitors were to visit NYC itself, then Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts and others are within a day's drive. Texas sounds great but there's a heck of a lot of time and travel involved to see it all. I like Dallas very much. There are other states that are worthy too.

I love this country and always find super places to travel to without leaving it. I live 25 miles outside NYC and always find it amazing. Visitors can always find a piece of home no matter where they're from in New York. Maybe that's the key. We're a nation made from all nations and New York (NYC to be precise) is where you can most readily see that on display.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Wyoming.....

Almost always underestimated.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Wyoming. Beautiful place. Everyone knows of Yellowstone National Park. But there's a lot more out there, but it's still got a lot of beautiful wilderness. Hope to go there again sometime myself.

new topics

join