It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who won the 2nd world war

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Logistics.

The victors had the greater logistics. Russia traded hundreds of miles of territory to stretch the German supply lines. They kept folding back, funneling the Germans along certain lines, and were able to concentrate on the "openings."

The territory of Russia was vast, and easily traversed. I would expect them to "lose" more territory, and then "win" more territory. They won the logistical portion due to merely lengthening the German supply lines. The Germans could not sufficiently support their troops that distant from their supply depots.

Britain sacrificed it's Commonwealth to fight the war, and participated with the Americans, Australians, and Indians, in the Pacific area in the Pacific as well.

The US was sending megatons of supplies and war materials to Russia through the Murmansk convoys. It was reported that Britain was so overloaded with materials and men that they feared the island would sink.

Who won it?

The logistics guys.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by dooper]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
still getting of point my topic headline was who won?? for someone to win someone has to lose. has far as i am concerned the human race lost..it lost in morals it lost its soul it lost its innocenst(pardon the bad spelling) ww1(the great war was terrible) but ww2 was were huminaty truly lost and we have to ask if hunimanty lost who won???? all i have to say is divide and conquer..make of that what you will.

peace.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Let me pose you a question. When you think of the answer, only then follow up on what comes next.

How many died because of the Second World War?

Don't bother looking up the numbers. Think about it. How many died because of WWII?

None.

Whether the war would have come along or not, everyone dies anyway.

Maybe the war shortened lives, maybe many of the deaths were a horrible way to go, but it's not like anyone gets out of this thing alive.

Winners? Losers?

Everyone dies. Sooner or later.

It's how you live and what you fight for that matters.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
OK first off you start by asking people who won WWII

Originally posted by insider15
hi people sorry for putting this topic here but i feel it has relevence.. do must peeople here feel that the us or or the usssr won the second world war???

Then and make a weird statement about a comet impact in Tunguska as if it was an alien attack on Russia as if it was some sort of warning to them and then you ignore people who answer your question with their opinion so which is it? Are you asking for some metaphoric answer or do you want their opinion?

still getting of point my topic headline was who won?? for someone to win someone has to lose. has far as i am concerned the human race lost..it lost in morals it lost its soul it lost its innocenst(pardon the bad spelling) ww1(the great war was terrible) but ww2 was were huminaty truly lost and we have to ask if hunimanty lost who won???? all i have to say is divide and conquer..make of that what you will.

peace.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
wooo very very good post, we all die but its what we do with our short time on this planet that matters? is tha the condenced version of what your saying?(sorry if i am wrong there and please feel free to correct me) kinda agree with that in a way but but but why have life if you cant conrtol and shape what life you bring into it? i dont want my kids and their kids fighting each other for land and religon and race for the benefit of others(which is kinda what my post is hinting at)

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by insider15

I have some really bad new for you, your kids, and anyone else.

You don't always get to pick your fights. And some of those fights may be to the death.

Whether you like it or not, personal preferences aside.

You either get with it, or you get dead, quicker.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

peace.

Sorry, I'm coming in here late. Just read through quickly and I get the impression all the responses to you aren't registering.

On your repeated point " for someone to win someone has to lose"

You're someone on a discussion forum saying that. No one has to accept that as a fact or even an article of faith. Life, the world, wars are not soccer matches - and even they can be tied. Many wars have no winners or losers – maybe most. Look at the 8 year war between Iraq and Iran. No clear victory, both suffered from it.

Germany and Japan signed formal surrenders which they kept. Essentially they said "We lose." The war was about stopping their aggression and and expansion militarily and the the results were decisive and are still holding.

Germany and Japan rose as major economic powers and ironically England and France were diminished somewhat as major powers. Eastern Europe lost out in that they were devastated and have not fully recovered in many ways. With a sort of power vacuum created, the US rose even higher in preeminence.

The world is still not a perfect place, but it was much much worse on so many levels 70 years ago. WWII affected a lot of things, technology, national boundaries, economic balances, etc.

If you really want to know history you have to read books on it. Picking a few highlights online does not give a clear picture of any period.

Most of the people in the world were virtual slaves, with no rights, no hope, no agencies concerned for their well being in the 1930s. We've seen more progress and liberation of misery and deprivation in the last half century than ever. More people worldwide have more freedoms, choices. opportunities now, than any time in history.

Naysayers always try to paint doom and gloom scenarios and those who like bad news and look for things to complain about will always buy into it.

Mike

[edit on 18-4-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I think Finland was/is still one of the biggest winners of the WWII.

After Soviets started an illegal war against Finland on 30 november 1939 the Finns were able to push the commies back and remain their sovereignty.

If not for our grandfathers efforts, we would have been in the same situation as the Baltic countries, poland, Tsheks, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and other eastern block coutries after the war. Occupied by the soviets.

From wikipedia:

One of the most remarkable losses in military history is the so-called "Battle of Raate-Road", during the month-long Battle of Suomussalmi. The Soviet 163rd and the 44th Infantry Divisions comprising 25,000 troops were almost completely destroyed, after marching along the forest roads straight into an ambush. A small unit blocked the Soviet advance, while Finnish Colonel Hjalmar Siilasvuo and his 9th Division of 6,000 troops cut off the retreat route, split the enemy force into smaller fragments and then destroyed it in detail. The Soviet casualties amounted to up to 23,000 men, while the Finnish lost around 800 men. In addition, the Finnish troops captured 43 tanks, 71 field and anti-aircraft cannons, 29 anti-tank cannons, AFVs, tractors, 260 trucks, 1,170 horses, infantry weapons, ammunition, medical and communication material.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The answer is simple.
Americans think they won WW2, but in reality the rest of the world know Russia and Great Britain won it, at any time each of these two countrys could have been beat, giving the Nazis a superior military advantage.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
When it comes to war nobody wins. There's nothing but the smell of death in the air and millions of innocent people especially children wanted nothing to do with war but had no way out. Bombing of civilians, prisoners of war and concentration camps, untrained soldiers, racism and segregation, the atomic bomb are things that the world shouldn't be proud of. Who in the hell has a right to someone else's life! It sure is easy to kill but for once can this human race find a way to live?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK2
The answer is simple.
Americans think they won WW2, but in reality the rest of the world know Russia and Great Britain won it, at any time each of these two countrys could have been beat, giving the Nazis a superior military advantage.

Poorly educated people everywhere think they're country was important in The War. Americans are hardly unique in that.

I speculate that neither Russia nor the UK could have won the war without help. That's why they sought allies.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Who won WII, the world is trying to figure that one....good question; it depends on how you look at it.
Fighting/desire for result-wise; The Nazis'
Mistake- wise; the Nazis'
Love of their leader; the Nazis'
People In Numbers-wise; the Soviets
Winter-wise; the Soviets
By taking their flag and planting it atop of the reichstag; the Soviets
But; who won the war by do the least fighting, entering the skirmish at the eleventh hour, looting the spoils of both jewish/nazi alike, after the Nazis' had been beaten to a pulp all the way back to Berlin by the Soviets???
Guess who

AMERICA.
And who bombed their own ships in Pearl Harbour, as safe political passage into the 2nd world War?.... thats right America!!!
Most Americans that I've ever met are cool. But like us here, we both have to endure sucky governments. I'm not discrediting the defence service people at all in this comment; it makes me feel ill that members of my family have served the interests of sham interests, and that I wanted also to join at one time.
Comments are welcome!'

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

"And who bombed their own ships in Pearl Harbour, as safe political passage into the 2nd world War?.... thats right America!!! "

Let me get this straight. A group of American military men agreed to destroy the American battleline and kill 2,500 of their fellow troops in order to start a war in the Pacific so we could then wait for Hitler to declare war on us so we could get into the war in Europe?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fatality
So many people died , so many cities anihilated , so many families lost sons , daughters , fathers , mothers and so on and you worry about who won between USA or URSS. Just be thankful that we did...and hope that there will be no need for a winner or a war in the future..
"

you say"we won" define "we"?? they say history is won by the victoys..the us r the only country who used nuclear weapons the british inivented contrention camps( see south african history, even see northernireland internment camps in the 1960s and 70s) look and camp xray.. so did we the people realy win?????

Britain inventing concentration camps is a complete myth, full of anti-British propaganda (you seem to have displayed some of that in your posts by the way).

The Americans had used concentration camps on the Native Americans and the Spanish had used them in Cuba, a long time before the Brits ever used them.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by triplesod

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Brits use "concentration camps" in the Boer War? Nothing like the Nazi abominations, IIRC, but the term does spring from that war, no?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
reply to post by triplesod

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Brits use "concentration camps" in the Boer War? Nothing like the Nazi abominations, IIRC, but the term does spring from that war, no?

Yes, they did but that was after both the Spaniards and America using them against Cubans and Native Americans.

The name of "concentration camp" came from the Boer War though.

Here is a little more..
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18-4-2009 by triplesod]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
Mod Edit: Removed offending post.

I am a military historian. I have a MA from Purdue University. I was teaching assistant in grad school, and the professor that taught WWI and WWII insisted on my being at his disposal. I have over 300,000 pages of WWII documents online at ibiblio.org. I know this topic just a little.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I am a military historian. I have a MA from Purdue University. I was teaching assistant in grad school, and the professor that taught WWI and WWII insisted on my being at his disposal. I have over 300,000 pages of WWII documents online at ibiblio.org. I know this topic just a little.

I'm surprised you felt the need to reply to such a ridiculous post, mate.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplesod

I'm surprised you felt the need to reply to such a ridiculous post, mate.

I wasn't replying to the poster, I was providing my bona fides for the rest of the community. The poster just sees what he wants to see, so nothing would do for him.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join