It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any religion that does not say theres is the own way to heaven/enlightenment/God etc.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jatsc
Is there any religion that does not say there the own way to heaven/enlightenment etc.

Most religions say that theirs is the right way and the rest are wrong is their any religion that says there is not the only way to God or there are many ways.

I think that is the terribly arrogant nature of human beings.
But of course...then again... this is 'what I think' lol...so its hard to feel safe commenting on this....
But I very much dislike a church that thinks they have every single answer 100% correct, in every way, and any other is of less value or deficient somehow.
Of course I am speaking specifically of Christianity because that is what I grew up with, and I know little about others, save for some dabbling....
But so far as Christianity is concerned, what does one denomination have over the other so surely, if, since it is run by men, and the Bible says men are fallible and lack wisdom/understanding...I mean, it just seems ridiculous that one group can claim to have precisely THE entire 'right' way and be so sure of it. Are they reading their own book? Come on now....

I'm rambling lol
But anyhow, seeing this basic....principle...., and given the masses of confusion, the variations of religion, across religions and within each alone combined, isn't it apparent that no group knows exactly what is what?
That's why I get to the point where I feel like it is a personal journey for each to honestly search each avenue with an open mind, not looking for what they want to see, but what seems to have a true impact in their life at a level more meaningful than anything encountered before...what seems to impart an impossible, unique understanding and experience.
On the other hand, I feel that this alone is not a sufficient description/understanding, and could lead to some dangerous extremes for some based on what they were exposed to or personality type or who knows what... so ....that is all I have to contribute for now, but I wish I had something better, I promise.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ixiy
Check out Buddhism, I believe the Buddha mentioned that if you have read his teachings and did not agree with any or all of them, don't practice them.

I'm not a Buddhist but I think Buddhism is one of the more peaceful and less invasive guides for enlightenment seekers compare to some religions.

Buddha said -- Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

I agree with him. Lots of wisdom and understanding in what he says.

I find the example of Jesus to be conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, I accept it and try to live up to it.

Not to be confused with doing things in the name of Jesus. I'm talking about by his example and doing the things he did.

The bible also says something pretty similar in proverbs 8.

www.biblegateway.com...

8All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

9They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

10Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.

11For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

[edit on 23-4-2009 by badmedia]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Buddhism does not talk of a path to God. It talks of a path to enlightenment to free one from suffering.

Buddhism does not have a monopoly on enlightenment, but it does have some clear thinking on the human condition. Buddhism does not talk about sin, but rather the harm of our actions on others. Buddhism differs in that it is not about guilt.

If we screw up then in Buddhism we are only hurting ourselves.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join