It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Printing and Self-Replicating Machines In Your Living Room - Seriously!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
According to this article, 3D printing isn't as far off as I'd thought. These are called 'Repraps' and apparently aren't that expensive.

Imagine having a machine for $500 in your living room that can take your computer based specification for a 3D object and print out a plastic replica of the object in a matter of minutes. Imagine furthermore that all of the specifications for the machine are completely open source, completely shareable and modifiable by anyone in the world, and that there is a worldwide community of volunteers working feverishly to support you and anyone else to troubleshoot and improve the machine.

The link has pictures of the machine.

The only limits seem to be your imagination and the physical limitations of the material, currently plastic, that is used to manufacture your object. Repraps have been used to make coat hooks, water-filter inserts, sandals, door handles, fly swatters, martini glasses, and countless other objects.

Imagine the possibilities!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It's interesting, and a start, but I see this more as a gadget than anything with truly remarkable practical applications for the home.

It also supports the idea of "throw away" society, where we could make something, use it once and chuck it into a hole in the ground where it'll sit for fifty years polluting the planet. We need less of this stupid waste, not more.

I honestly can't think of why I would want one of these or what I'd use it for, other than the creation of sculpture.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
It's interesting, and a start, but I see this more as a gadget than anything with truly remarkable practical applications for the home.
I honestly can't think of why I would want one of these or what I'd use it for, other than the creation of sculpture.

Very similar things were said when futurists talked about people having "personal computers" in their homes. Based on what goes on in the world of open source computing, I would expect to see some amazing things come out of this. Imagine a group of people with similar interests, designing, engineering, prototyping anything they want. Imagine entrepreneurs printing prototypes of their ideas before going to pitch them to financiers. I see this is a very big breakthrough for the little guy.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Example of a 3d print I had done last year.

3d model file

3d print

3D printing has been around a while and I've had a few done in my time, mostly as proof copies for clients. The resutls cary tremendously as does the price of both the machines and the output. Machine like the reprap have a far lower quality than guys like I need.... which is a shame. There's nothing I'd like more than a desktop 3d printing machine..it'd save me a fortune!

Wayne...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigliorononomicon

All I can say is WOW! The potential for this in the public market is astounding. Can't wait to see what people make.

You have to love affordable, open source products.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Oh man, this is nothing compared to this video: www.jaylenosgarage.com...

I have experience with 3d printing, modeling, holography, etc... but this one takes the cake. This scanner/printer can not only scan an object in with texture capturing abilities, but it can also print the 3d object with incredible accuracy. On top of that, if the product has movable pieces, those pieces remain movable. Watch the video and I guarantee you will be amazed. It can print quite large objects too. He holds up a big piece of an engine later in the video.

Imagine, in the future, how different society would be if you could purchase the "Blueprints" for an object, like an apple ipod, and print one whenever you want. Everyone could have anything they wanted as long as they possessed the raw materials to feed to the machine.

[edit on 4.17.2009 by Avarus]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
what is this--is it similar to laser sintering for the home? Heck, I'd love to have one. Thanks for the info.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigliorononomicon

Would revolutionise the realm of minature gaming and put alot of buisnesses out of buisness in the gaming community. You know stuff like Warhammer 40k etc. I want one!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This all pales into insignificance when you see the full potential of these machines - 3D Bio Printing.

Yes, they are saying that in 10-20 years doctors will be able to print you out a new heart! The beauty of this is that they use your own tissue, so there is no problems with your body rejecting the new organ!

We really are on the verge of a Star Trek lifestyle. What an awesome time to be on planet earth!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

This is a great idea. I always knew they were working on "growing" extra organs in a lab. What a great idea for tissue engineering. We will eventually have anything we want, and even have replaceable body parts when ours go bad. No more wait lists for organ transplants!

I think if we're smart, we have the potential for a very bright future. We just need to overcome this whole... governments and economy issue.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Wow S&F! I have been in the printing industry for 25 years and I have been fasinated by this idea since it was first mentioned a few years ago. This is really neat and can really be a helpful tool. It would be useful in space to maybe make parts for the ship from a plan. It would really open up a whole lot of new things. You could order something from the www and instantly "print it". Cool, I am really glad you put this up.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I have been a pseudo machinist CNC low grade metalworking grunt for some 20+ years,so far as I can see,the only difference between this and most CNC equipment is that it puts material in place instead of removing it from a blank.
It really is kind of a cool 180deg twist on pre-existing technology.
Now it would be nice to be able to deposit more durable materials than plastics,like metal.
Of course it would cost a bit more,and 750.00 to build the "plotting table" portion would probably be a conservative estimate of the cost of building a unit.
similar tech exists which uses layers of plastic sheet stacked to make 3D shapes from scans in the medical industry,if I am not mistaken.
Coolish.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by chiponbothshoulders]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
They have these type of machines that can print PCP aka "circuit boards". You can design you project and have it printed in the same day.

Someday my fridge will print out steak dinners.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Errr you do relalise that currently its very expensive to print out even small items. People have been saying the price would come down for 2 years now..and it hasn't.

Wayne...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
The price will go down...
The quality will go up.....
Sizes
Materials
Mass Marketing
Mass Consumption
I'm Ready....Beam Me UP!!!
DIRT

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Starred and flagged, OP. Thank you.
These kind of inventions are the ones that really get me excited. I mean, you can only make things in plastic, but that's a start!
And even with plastic, you can still make practical things... Forks, spoons, cases, umm sex toys
(sorry mods. I had to let that one slip in, but you technically can!).
But seriously, this is awesome. I would love to build/make one for under $500. I would be making cool things all day.
I don't know, my fellow ATSers. What else could be made that would be practical with this machine?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avarus
Oh man, this is nothing compared to this video: www.jaylenosgarage.com...

Imagine, in the future, how different society would be if you could purchase the "Blueprints" for an object, like an apple ipod, and print one whenever you want. Everyone could have anything they wanted as long as they possessed the raw materials to feed to the machine.

[edit on 4.17.2009 by Avarus]

Then there would be hardware piracy to worry about, hehe...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I like the idea of a new kind of open source movement of designs to be printed! People could create something and share it online for others to make, too...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I read about this quite a while ago and completly forgot about it!

Source: www.newscientist.com...

It would be amazing if the cost came down low enough for it to be a house-hold product.... another nice distraction for the masses! Maybe Tv's wearing off.....

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
These machines are great!

I even heard that there was a university proffessor who created his own printing "gloop" made from natural materials....great!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join