It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Madden retires after 30 years in booth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm going to miss Big John. He was always my favorite announcer, one of the regular guys..

sports.espn.go.com...

NEW YORK -- John Madden is retiring from football announcing, where his enthusiastic, down-to-earth style made him one of sports' most popular broadcasters for three decades.

The Hall of Fame coach spent the last three seasons on NBC's "Sunday Night Football." His final telecast was the Super Bowl in February.

"You know at some point you have to do this -- I got to that point," Madden said on his Bay Area radio show Thursday. "The thing that made it hard is not because I'm second-guessing, 'Is it the right decision?' But I enjoyed it so damn much.
:
:
Cris Collinsworth will replace Madden, moving over from the network's studio show, NBC Sports chief Dick Ebersol said. Collinsworth filled in when Madden took a game off last October.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm surprised he lasted 30 years seeing as how he drove everywhere and never flew. He'll be sorely missed.

Peace

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
He will indeed be missed. I am a NFL junkie. I love the sport. There are special voices who make the game so much fun. John Madden was one of those. With his teleprompter pen diagramming every play, and his down to earth descriptions. Heck even his Thanksgiving day calls with the 6 legged cooked turkeys. He always made me smile, and made an almost perfect sport even more enjoyable. A true icon indeed.

Maybe Frank Caliendo can fill in?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Truly one of sports greatest. He will be missed very much, and I don't think it will be the same without him.

Though does anyone know who will be replacing him???

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nick_napalm

Not sure, but you can pretty much put anybody with Al Michaels and it's pretty damn good, not Madden/Michaels or Madden/Summerall great, but pretty damn good. As long as it's not Dan Dierdork, I won't have a problem.

Peace

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It looks like Cris Collinsworth will be his replacement.

Cris is a sharp guy, but there's only one John Madden.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I tell you this... if John Madden where to comment on a game of Nanchutken Community College vs Akron Technical Institute in the Cuban Cigar Bowl... I would have watch the darn thing! thats how much I love and respect the guy knowledge of the game.

I was always expecting him to come on the weekends, I would watch horrible games because he just found a way to keep them interesting...hopefully Troy Aikman replace him. He would be about the only one who can stand side by side with Al Michaels on that booth. Thats said I would hate him splitting with Joe Buck they make a great tandem.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Bunch]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yeah, the NFL just wont be the same without him. He truly is an NFL legend.

new topics

top topics

join