It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Pledges to Enforce Gun Laws; No Assault Weapons Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Mexico City (AP) - Confronting a Mexican drug war that is "sowing chaos in our communities," President Barack Obama signaled Thursday he will not seek renewal of a U.S. assault weapons ban but instead will step up enforcement of laws banning the transfer of such guns across the border.

Obama had pledged during his campaign to seek renewal of the ban but has bowed to the reality that such a move would be unpopular in politically key U.S. states and among Republicans as well as some conservative Democrat

We'll see about this. Calderon has been pushing for the Assault Weapons Ban. Perhaps Obama is just trying to silence the chatter or maybe he is just waiting until after the 2010 election cycle.

Step carefully Mr. President, we know where you and Holder stand on the issue at hand.

Obama said he still believed that the ban "made sense" but pointedly added: "None of us are under any illusion that reinstating that ban would be easy." He said he would focus instead on using existing laws to stop the flow of weapons to Mexico from the thousands of U.S. gun stores along the border.

edit to add source:
www.cnsnews.com...

[edit on 17-4-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Obama's words and his actions do not reflect each other. All you have to do to know his stance on guns and the 2nd Amendment is to view his past track record. A quick Google search will show you he has opposed gun rights and sought new regulations on them at every opportunity. Please show me the suckers who believe him now.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

More empty words from the empty suit? We will see...

Now on to ammunition... silence in that regard.
However, I believe our Arizona legislators have denounced a move to mark bullets with registration numbers. Fortunately, it is difficult to enforce compliance when one chooses to cast his own. Mine would all have the same number, anyway...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Was this before or after the recent comment by the ever beautiful Nancy Piloci (sp?).

You know , the one that said that the 2nd amendment wouldnt stand in their way of gun registration.........

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I'll believe it when i see it. Let pelosi pull his leash a bit and he'll be singing a different tune.

new topics

top topics

join