It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

seniors if your holding full time jobs...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I am gonna get flamed for this, but I don't care. This is my own personal rant.

Seniors that are holding jobs when they don't need too, when young families are losing homes and jobs and there is rampent unemployment, should be ashamed of themselves.

And planning a a month long trip to Mexico is not a need.

Employers are being swamped with people like myself who desperately need full time employment.

Yet we have these seniors at work, holding government jobs that people desperately need, so they can have something to do or go on vacations or buy more stuff when they are way beyond retirement age.

If you don't absolutely need to work. Shame on you.

Do your part for society and let those who really need the jobs, have them.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Enter any Wal-Mart or fast food chain in the western hemisphere and I am willing to bet that at least half the time there are more seniors working than teenagers. Why? Do men and women reach old age and suddenly realize they want to push carts at Wal-Mart or clean up after everyone at a fast food restaurant? No, they don't. They do it to survive. They do it because they lived on a fixed income in a society where the price of everything is rising at a pace where they can not keep up. Come the winter months, my grandmother sits and decides each month if she is going to fill the fridge with an order, heat the house or pay the utilities. She knows she can not do them all because she can't afford it. So she picks and chooses each month as to what is most important at the moment.

Don't blame senior citizens who are working past the usual age of retirement because they are trying to feed themselves. They are entitled to a warm meal and a roof over their head just as any younger couple.

This seemingly sense of entitlement based on age is ludicrous.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What makes you think a younger person is more deserving of a job than a senior?
If anything, seniors are BETTER workers.
More reliable, in a dozen ways than a young person is not.
Is this based on the fact that a senior got a job you wanted? Or ?
I agree with Chissler, many are working because they have to.
Pensions and government cheques only go so far.
There is no definite age when you stop NEEDING a job.
And I don't see too many booking vacations anywhere right now. Or else vacation companies wouldn't be suddenly closing up shop.
Besides..if a senior WAS planning a vacation..perhaps they saved for YEARS to do it, and they deserve it.
Who's place is anyone's to judge that?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

First of all, most seniors give much better customer service than a younger one. All you get is attitude, and when you ask for something, you get that sigh. I want to pulverize some of those workers.

Seniors are always happy to help, and are always cheerful on the job.

Many of them get bored at home and like working to get out of the house. Also, Social Security does not pay very much most of the time, and new rules were put in so Seniors can earn an unlimited amount of money and keep their Social Security. They still have rent and other bills to pay, and many refuse to get extra help if they are still able bodied.

They are also always on time and do not call in sick (or just not show up like most younger workers without calling in). I can go on and on as to why Seniors should keep working.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've disagreed with the author of the thread already, but now I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with some of the other thoughts.

It's not fair to state that a senior is any more deserving of a job than a young person and vice versa. Age based discrimination is a double edged sword that works both ways. To state that you get inferior customer service from a young person is a baseless generalization. You may get poor customer service from a young person, but you are also likely to get poor customer service from a senior as well. Both groups can be just as good or bad at their job.

A lot of generalizations in this thread that seem to discriminate on both parties.

I'm 23 years old and a lot of things, not all of which are good. But what I am is polite and dependable. When I work, I work my butt off. Because that's how I was raised. So to look at me and see that I'm 23 years old and immediately assume that you're going to receive poor service from me is certainly unfair.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I have received inferior customer service from many young workers. I have yet to get the same type treatment from older workers.

I should note that not all younger workers are mean or inept, but my experience does show it is common. If I ran a fast food company or store, I would hire older people to be in front of the counters and deal with the public.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
But you realize that this generalization is no different than someone saying that because you once seen a black man break the law that it is typical for all black men to break the law? Or I once seen a 14 year old Korean girl with pink shoes on listening to John Cougar Mellencamp run out in front of a car in a busy intersection. So, it would be typical for 14 year old Korean girls who wear pink shoes and listen to John Cougar Mellencamp to run out in front of traffic.

We're individuals. The actions of other people that share similarities with me should have no bearing on what people think of me.

Yes, it is entirely possible to receive poor service from a young person. But to take that situation and turn it into the generalization that they are an inferior employee, it is highly prejudicial.

The examples I give above are over-the-top, but it is intended to make the point.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I should also mention that I have worked with troubled teenagers and found they are among the best workers when it comes to younger people. They are surprisingly kind and courteous to people.

It could be that many of the young people who are working are only doing so because their parents are threatening to kick them out of the basement.

I really should not blame all younger people, because they were taught their behaviors by a parent. Work ethic and manners also come from good parenting, so I really should not be to hard on them.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

This is a response to your latest post, chissler.

I do agree it is generalization, and I should state that I do not expect bad customer service from anyone. I just happen to receive it from the younger set.

If that is a generalization, it happens to be true in my case.

As I have stated before, the troubled teens that I helped find employment were very good at customer service.

I think I was more upset that the OP wants the older workers to stay out of the way. The younger workers can learn a thing or two from their elders.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I see your point of view but I blame the governments not the poor old souls for having to work in old age. Everyone in my view should be able to retire at say 50 and receive a good pension.I'm sure a lot of pensioners hate working and do it just to survive. Shame on the governments for paying them a pittance. At least I won't be put in this position cos the world will have ended long before I hit old age!!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Miss Nixie don't you worry your sweet self about this old woman taking a job from a younger person.

I went to work when I was a kid in 1960 and retired in 2007. I paid a bunch of state and federal taxes all those years.

In 2007 I became disabled and could no longer operate my business of 40 years. I sold it and applied for Social Security Disability. I sure paid enough in to feel entitled to get some back.

I also prepared for my future as we all should do.

It is my most earnest wish that all young people get those jobs and work long hours and pay taxes so I can keep getting my monthly check and Medicare.

I do enjoy sleeping late and taking midnight walks on the beach.

There is no way I'm going back to work. I really never did like working.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I am not talking about the poor folks who have to work because all they receive is social security. .If you need to work, by all means that is fine.

I said the folks who are still working because they hve nothing better to do or for superfluous reasons need to let go for all the young struggling families out there who are about to lose their shirts.

We have one woman at work who only works so she can afford to eat out three nice meals a day, because she refuses to cook. had bragged that she has used her stove 2 times in five years.

Yet we are doing 20 layoffs bu June.She is 73.

I never said seniors are lesser workers. Not at all. I would hire someone with experience long before I would hire someone out of college.

Some people just like what they do, which is great. But you can do it voluntarily if you don't need the income.

Thoug i do disagree all are polite. I have come across some grumpy vets.
But that is okay, I have a soft spot for vets.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

If people want to work even if they do not need to, why should we stop them? There are some people who have to or want to work. I find nothing wrong with that, and instead of complaining that they are taking your job, ask your representatives what they are doing to attract more employment to your area.

Many older workers are very experienced and can teach the young people a thing or two.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
My mum is working beyond her retirement because of the economy and the recession caused by the greedy young (Snips) of today who have NO idea of the difference between needs and wants.

She deserves better but the younger workers and their delusions of what they deserve have shattered her dream of peace and well earned reward and made her pension into a pittance.

DON'T have kids, DON'T have a new car, DON'T buy a house you can't afford, DON'T invest in all that electronic stuff you don't need.....

ppffffft!

[edit on 19-4-2009 by asala]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I dont agree with this at all!! I have had bad customer service from both older and younger workers, I have also had older and younger workers not do their job and call out. You cant say that older people dont deserve to work because of their age that is just ridiculous! BOTH my grandparents retired and HAD to go back to work to pay the bills. Everyone out there has things they need to pay for. Some live beyond their means it's nobody's fault but their own. People need to learn to live within their means and well people now-a-days dont and they are paying for it. I have many friends who are struggling because of excess but that doesnt mean they dont deserve to have a job, at least they are working to pay for their debts!

Just a question to the OP were you over looked for a job and it went to a person older than you or what? Why would you come to this conclusion without really really thinking about it.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Its the bills you can't get rid of that keep older people working jobs way past what they should have to. You can have everything payed off except your electric, gas ,car gas ,home insurance , car insurance and water bill oh and whopping medical bills for the most basic doctor visit. And food I almost forgot about that. All those bills were practically non existent on the farm a hundred years ago. You can never overcome, that's the problem, cradle to the grave baby , work you till you drop. You might have had to buy a few things at the store but not a whole lot. Maybe a 10 cent bag of sugar or something.

I love technology don't get me wrong but for everything gained something is lost, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
In any free country, any free individual, can use their free time to do anything they so wish to do, especially given that hardly anything in life comes for free.

Are you a Logans Run kind of character OP. Is that gem on your hand fading yet.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
Its the bills you can't get rid of that keep older people working jobs way past what they should have to.

With pensions being around 1/3rd of what they were a few years ago (approx for UK citizens), I'd also say it's the effect the economy has had due to bad spending that has had the "knock-on" effect for the elders.

Sure, there's always bills, but when a person has less to pay them with...what do you expect.

So to say "Seniors that are holding jobs when they don't need too" doesn't take the bigger picture into account does it?

And O.P....what's the rush, shouldn't the ones who created the working environment you wish to enter deserve a decent retirement? You'll get your chance I'm sure and you wouldn't like someone trying to kick you out the door with peanuts in your pocket.

And NO...I don't have a job........yet.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

While I do agree that bills will always need to be paid, there are many programs for senior citizens and handicapped people on a fixed income available to help offshoot most bills.

1. Medicare and Medicaid: They will pay 80% of the medical bills upfront. If one is in the poverty level, most states will cover the remaining 20% of the bill.

2. Utility help: Electric and gas bills are subsidized with these programs.

3. Food Stamps: Most people on a fixed income are eligible for some type of food stamp program. There are also many food pantries around to get help when needed.

4. Telephone service: Basic telephone service is paid for by some programs. Cell Phones all have the 911 number working so an emergency can be called in.

5. Public Transportation: In Chicago, all Metra and bus/subway/el service is free to senior citizens. All they need to do is get a pass at any senior service area.

If anyone here does know a senior who is in financial straights, there are many places to get help from. Most areas have a senior center to help with the application of these benefits, and if one is not able to find them, contact their local church or charity organizations.

There should be no reason why the elderly or the handicapped should go without basic essentials to live on.

[edit on 4/20/2009 by kidflash2008]

top topics

join