posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:41 PM
reply to post by Voyager1
While I do agree that bills will always need to be paid, there are many programs for senior citizens and handicapped people on a fixed income
available to help offshoot most bills.
1. Medicare and Medicaid: They will pay 80% of the medical bills upfront. If one is in the poverty level, most states will cover the remaining 20% of
2. Utility help: Electric and gas bills are subsidized with these programs.
3. Food Stamps: Most people on a fixed income are eligible for some type of food stamp program. There are also many food pantries around to get help
4. Telephone service: Basic telephone service is paid for by some programs. Cell Phones all have the 911 number working so an emergency can be called
5. Public Transportation: In Chicago, all Metra and bus/subway/el service is free to senior citizens. All they need to do is get a pass at any senior
If anyone here does know a senior who is in financial straights, there are many places to get help from. Most areas have a senior center to help with
the application of these benefits, and if one is not able to find them, contact their local church or charity organizations.
There should be no reason why the elderly or the handicapped should go without basic essentials to live on.
[edit on 4/20/2009 by kidflash2008]