It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay four jailed for breaking copyright in Swedish file-sharing trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Pirate Bay four jailed for breaking copyright in Swedish file-sharing trial

www.telegraph.co.uk

Experts believe the ruling could be the first step towards ending illegal downloading, which has cost music and film companies billions of dollars in lost revenue.

Founders Peter Sunde and Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, along with two other employees Fredrik Neij and Carl Lundström, were sentenced to a year in jail after being found guilty in a Swedish court of making 33 copyright-protected files accessible for illegal downloading on the website Piratebay.org.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The four were also ordered to pay $3.6 m (£2.4m) in damages to copyright holders, including Warner Brothers, MGM, Columbia Pictures, 20th Century Fox Films, Sony and Universal, according to Swedish media reports.

In a Twitter posting before sentencing, Mr Sunde said: "Nothing will happen to TPB [the Pirate Bay], this is just theatre for the media."

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This sucks bad.

And of all places I thought Sweden would have said no to this kinda of thing... Oh well, the noose even tightens even more.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

This sucks bad.

I don't know what else to add !

Due to the minimum character requirements, newly instituted, I am adding this pointless aadendum ...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So Sweden caves-in to the lobbyists, no big deal they will move servers to Russia or another country where they have more open and free intellectual property laws. Or they will appeal and win on appeal in Sweden.

Its disheartening for sure but not the end of this particular battle.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

they will move servers to Russia or another country where they have more open and free intellectual property laws. Or they will appeal and win on appeal in Sweden.

Let's hope so !

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Move the servers to Russia? I am not so sure...

obraz.forumotion.com...

Putin is just the same as any West leader. He created capitalism for the corporations, not for people.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by greshnik]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Please add to existing discussion Here

Thanks

Closed.

top topics

join