It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do we have Déjà vu?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Deja Vu is caused by fatigue of the Brain. When the Brain is tired some rare instances you feel like something you are doing has happened already, this could be the same as lag on the internet, your eyes and ears have already recieved the information, your brain is just so tired that there is a delay in decoding it, so you'd call that Brain Lag...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Deja Vu is when you temporarily experience non-linear time as opposed to linear time. I don't know WHY it happens but as you know all time is now and of course if you experience non-linear time it will seem as you were there before.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

wow thats amazing you actually saved someones life over Déjà vu
thats unique, and your very lucky that you had dreamt it before it happened.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Abbby

thanks man, have you ever had a dream and it became true afterwards, if so what is that dream that you had??.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

if it does happen like that, why don't we remember anything or is being psychic actually tapping into what we've learnt???.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by jellyman1991]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
A billion or so westerners have been misled by their respective cultures into believing that consciousness is the result of some kind of chemical reaction going on inside their brains. The remaining five or six-billion human residents of this planet view the situation completely the opposite, that is, that consciousness exists from its own side, independently of any 'instrumentation,' such as 'brains' and 'nervous sytems,' 'sense organs,' etc.

This is a very difficult notion for the 'materialist' ( read : westerner ) to 'wrap his/her brain around.'

But, some western researchers have been open-minded enough to acknowledge this fact. For instance, Carl Jung, based on many years of clinical observation postulated the following -

Collective unconscious

Collective Unconscious, sometimes known as Collective Subconscious, is a term of analytical psychology, coined by Carl Jung. It is a part of the unconscious mind, shared by a society, a people, or all humanity, that is the product of ancestral experience and contains such concepts as science, religion, and morality ... Jung distinguished the collective unconscious from the personal subconscious particular to each human being. The collective unconscious is also known as "a reservoir of the experiences of our species."

Source : Wikipedia

Of course, since Freud absolutely rejected all assertions of any kind of a 'collective anything,' Jung's 'model' of a collective unconscious is basically 'a wash.'

However, the eastern view posits the following -

Universal mind

Universal mind is a generic term for the universal Higher consciousness or source of being in some forms of esoteric or New Thought and spiritual philosophy. It may be considered synonymous with the Subjective Mind or it may be referred to in the context of creative visualization, usually with religious or spiritual themes. The word seems to originally derive from Hegel.

Universal mind may be defined as the nonlocal and atemporal "hive mind" of all aggregates, components, knowledges, constituents, relationships, personalities, entities, technologies, processes and cycles of the Universe.

Of course, here Wikipedia puts a 'western spin' on the definition, even attributing the term's invention to Hegel.

But this notion of the 'great mind' or 'Great Mother,' if you will, has been around for thousands of years, regardless of what western apologists would have us believe. And, in fact the great majority of people, around 5 or 6-to-one, actually, naturally accept the existence of this 'universal mind.'

One 'representation' of this 'Great mind' is the Indian 'construct' of Shakti -

Shakti

Shakti, from Sanskrit shak - "to be able," meaning sacred force or empowerment, is the primordial cosmic energy and represents the dynamic forces that move through the entire universe. Shakti is the concept, or personification, of divine feminine creative power, sometimes referred to as 'The Great Divine Mother' in Hinduism. On the earthly plane, Shakti most actively manifests through female embodiment and fertility - while also existing in males, in its potential, unmanifest form.

Bri. Maya Tiwari notes that at the beginning of Creation, as it is written in the Shakta Advaita, the Divine Mother took form and set in motion the wheel of manifestation. She bestowed her healing spirit into the womb and regenerative energy of every female of every species of the earth. According to the Vedic seers, or rishis, a woman's femininity cannot exist apart from her Shakti, and Shakti is a metaphor for womanhood.

Anyway, this citation is another Wiki 'hack-job' on what really is a pretty straight forward notion.

This 'universal mind' can be thought of as the 'great causal ocean,' of which all 'living beings' are individualized 'droplets.'

This universal mind is 'infused' with consciousness. This consciousness is not limited by time. At this 'highest level' it's 'awareness' lies somehow 'outside' of time.

Each of us naturally can 'tap into' this 'great ocean.' It's just a part of the experience of being alive. It usually happens at an 'irrational level,' that is to say, 'sub-consciously.'

But, every so often we get a 'glimmer' of this 'contact' 'reflected' in our waking consciousness, and sometimes this glimmer can be called 'de-ja-vu.'

So, that's the 'anti-materialist view' of the matter.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

those are some good views, you broadened my mind further thanks, i hope to hear more of your views soon.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Mypersonal thoughts on this is not that we ae seeing the future or thatwe've dreamt it before and are recognising the dream, I believethe answer is very simple really....

Our senses are constantly taking in information, everything we see, hear is taken in and processed to the approppriate places in our brain.....

So our eyes see everything that is within visual range, thats a lot of information, once the brain registers it all and processes it, it is then delivered to the storage areas, short term/long term memories...

De javu, I think, is when the process short ciruits slightly and the info is stored quicker than it is registered, this all happens in micro seconds....

the feeling of "this has happened before" is because what you're seeing is a memory, allbeit a memory that was stored micro seconds before the brain registed it.

Hope this makes sense, it's easier to visualise than put in to words..........

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

that was an interesting thought, i think that you have a good idea,
the fact is if we do process memory in that way, why do we only have
deja vu in places and situations we've never been in surely your memory can't process future events before they happen??.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jellyman1991

that was an interesting thought, i think that you have a good idea,
the fact is if we do process memory in that way, why do we only have
deja vu in places and situations we've never been in surely your memory can't process future events before they happen??.

Not sure what you mean by "why do we only have
deja vu in places and situations we've never been" it happens anywhere anytime, I've had it at home, work etc.....

It's not like the brain processing future events.......

If we expand the time it takes for the brain to process what we see into a memory for example.....

eyes take in information...brain registers this info and translates it into an understandable picture....this is the stored in the memory...this happens in milliseconds, if we expand this time to, lets say 10 minutes,

minute 1 eyes take in info
minute 5 brain registers info
minute 10 brain stores info

De javu would be a glitch in the process where minute 5 is bypassed and not happening untill after minute 10, therefore you FEEL like it's happened before

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

i was saying that if your mind has processed memory 10 minutes behind, then how do you arrive at that memory 10 minutes ahead, and you answered that question, thanks.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Like many, I've had a fair share of Déjà vu(s) and once a recurring one, where the same scene seem to had been repeated more than three times. I was about 12 years old at the time, but I still remember it feeling very strange.

My first theory involves another topic from a little while back regarding living in a simulated reality. Something like the Matrix. Although the plausibility of that is still a matter of discussion, in such a scenario Déjà vu is simply lag. If you've ever played an online game over a lousy connection you'll know what I mean.

On the other hand I am much more leaning towards thinking Déjà vu is a phenomena linked to the existence of parallel ( multiple ) universes. As one theory goes, there is supposedly a parallel universe for every choice anyone ever made. So infinite number of infinitely big universes. Every now and then your brain would get a hint about what's it like in a parallel universe, but always one very "close" to the one you currently occupy. Ultimately you're not only left with a feeling you've lived through this before, but most of the time, I can tell which events happened in the "previous occurrence" for a couple of minutes after Déjà vu hits. It's like you're being given a second chance. On that note, it might also be just a short-term time-loop phenomena.

Oh and brain fatigue of course. Although if that were the case, I should be having them all the time.

Kind regards, M.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by Manawydan]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
i used to believe that Deja vu was spectacular, and mystical. i wanted to believe also. but i fear that it is a prime example of how faulty the human brain can be when it comes to memory. the mind is always recording, although we may not remember, it's still there. Now, certain situations come up all the time. When encountering this situation again, the past memory may slip through a person's unconcious mind into their concious mind which would make them believe they've done this before ( or feel they've done this before ) . to a certain extent, they have. but not the way they'd imagine. now of course a person wont remember the exact situation, but they certainly remember something familiar...and that, is the past intruding on the preset. Deja vu is one's unconcious mind trying to become concious. Deja vu is a clue that proves there's an unconcious mind that effects one's thoughts and feelings. don't get me wrong, i believe there are some situations that doesn't fit the above explanation...no hate mail please

[edit on 18-4-2009 by BotulinumSoda]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm seeing a re-occuring statement on this thread from the people on "mystical" side of the arguement, depsite this not intended on being an arguement. That statement is usually some alteration of "How can you materialists continue to ignore the extra ordinary when things like deja vu occurs?".
These comments still make me laugh because its a very simply question. If something can be answered through science with no need for the paranormal or far-fetched un-based ideas then it is in fact a natural scientific occurence. Deja vu is only a special case because it's been experienced for hundreds of years yet not til recently did we understand it. I'm sure its hard to take in the truth when we've been told all these magical explanations to it for years but thats how technological/intelligence evolution works, we discover things thats change our entire perspective on life. Do not however just ignore them because you'd prefer if it werre indeed magical, that i see as ignorance. Just embrace the new knowledge.

If science can explain it, its not magic.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Eurisko2012

if it does happen like that, why don't we remember anything or is being psychic actually tapping into what we've learnt???.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by jellyman1991]

When you are born here on Earth a "veil of forgetfulness"
is placed over you. The veil prevents you from remembering
your prebirth education. If you remembered your prebirth
education it would interfere with your mission.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jellyman1991

JellyMan,

There is more then just Déjà vu (Already Seen), as we also have Déjà Rêvé (Already Dreamed), and Déjà Vecu (Already Lived) which fall under the Déjà genome.

What it is not... temporal lobe epilepsy. To say all of us having Déjà Vu are epileptics having TLE is completely erroneous and unproven logic.

Adrenochrome is correct in the answer, it stems from a memory of a dream, most Déjà Vu is Déjà Rêvé and stems from our dreams. If you believe in Eternal Reoccurance, then it's from Déjà Vecu.

All my personal research points to Déjà Rêvé or dreams that come true as the true source of Déjà Vu.

Let's discuss that in greater depth.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

yes let's, you are very knowlegable on this subject, do you know anything else about Déjà vu??.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by jellyman1991]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrGummyPants
I'm seeing a re-occuring statement on this thread from the people on "mystical" side of the arguement, depsite this not intended on being an arguement. That statement is usually some alteration of "How can you materialists continue to ignore the extra ordinary when things like deja vu occurs?".
These comments still make me laugh because its a very simply question. If something can be answered through science with no need for the paranormal or far-fetched un-based ideas then it is in fact a natural scientific occurence. Deja vu is only a special case because it's been experienced for hundreds of years yet not til recently did we understand it. I'm sure its hard to take in the truth when we've been told all these magical explanations to it for years but thats how technological/intelligence evolution works, we discover things thats change our entire perspective on life. Do not however just ignore them because you'd prefer if it werre indeed magical, that i see as ignorance. Just embrace the new knowledge.

If science can explain it, its not magic.

So whats your saying is that my own experience is my brain being faulty? i dont know about that man. i can buy your logic into the brain malfunction, but the dream i had felt very real, i saw my pops and my best friends pops die one day apart, then it happens... i forget about the dream, and then at night, 1am/2am i get my dejavu, immediately thinking of the dream i had, i run down stairs to check up on my pops. he is on the kitchen floor, half dead... 24 hours later, my best friends dad had chest pains, i told my freind earlier that day to keep an eye on him, he had some chest pains, and they called 911, ambulance came, and his heart stopped 3 times on the way to the hosp, and twice in ICU.... i dunno dude, I dont think its just a brain malfunction.

i can see how it could happen, and some dejavus are malfunctions, but i think a handful are something else, and we dont know what it is.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

i don't think it was coincidence, i think that you had an actual Déjà vu that can't be explained, i mean you dreamed it and it came true it can't be a malfunction of the brain surely?.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

reply to post by YouAreDreaming

yes let's, you are very knowlegable on this subject, do you know anything else about Déjà vu??.
[edit on 19-4-2009 by jellyman1991]

There is not much else to explain about déjà vu because it really stems from déjà rêve, however many people may not have enough memory of the original source of the déjà.

On the topic of déjà rêve, I can offer a lot more knowledge on that topic, as I have explored it in depth over the years.

I have a diagram, which illustrates how our consciousness breaks down and becomes layered during dream. I am using a light passing through a prism metaphor.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd7fd077f0d4.gif[/atsimg]

files.abovetopsecret.com...

This diagram illustrates a spectrum of layers of which we reside in during sleep. Our total consciousness is on all layers at once. Our linear waking consciousness tries to percieve this information stream in a way it is most familiar, in a linear third dimensional view.

As you can see, there is a layer which describes the precognitive layer. It is this layer within the dreaming spectrum which is the source of all our déjà rêve. There is a saying, "There is nothing that exists on Earth, that isn't dreamed of first".

In this illustration, the waking consciousness dips up and down through the layers gleaming at information. What the diagram doesn't illustrate is that like a quantum particle wave, it collapses when we wake up.

Giving us an even less clear fractured memory of dreams.

Add to that, when we wake up, dream memory fades fast and becomes very ghost like. Then we stack days and weeks worth of time going through this process over and over.

The end result, we are lucky if we can remember a precognitive dream at all. This is why people who actively peruse dream memory and write them down tend to have more recognition of precognitive dreams when they finally do come true.

Hopefully some of this starts to shine a light on the origins of Deja Vu.

There is more, but I have to go tend to some RL stuff.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join