It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there so Many Earthquakes around the Virgin Islands?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
hi there,

can anyone explain why there are huge numbers of earthquakes in the Virgin Islands region? Every day there are numerous quakes around 3.0 on the richter scale.

I realise it lies near a fault line, but this seems to be more active than any other region on the planet.

is there any conspiracy here, or is there a geographical explanation?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

cheers, g.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I asked the same question when I started the thread on the Italian Earthquake. and Its not over:

'Up to 40 dead' in earthquake near Jalalabad

DOZENS of people were feared dead and scores of houses destroyed by an earthquake in eastern Afghanistan early today.

A Reuters Television cameraman in the village of Mir Gadkhel said villagers were scrambling through rubble of flattened houses to recover bodies after the quake, which struck before dawn.

Villagers said as many as 40 people may have been killed. The US Geological Survey said a 5.1 magnitude quake hit 45km west-southwest of the Afghan city of Jalalabad early today.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Maybe they're losing their virginity?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Sorry but not funny at all. People are losing their lives in those quakes. How would you feel if you had lost dear ones in an earthquake and people making jokes about it? Please show some respect to the victims

[edit on 17-4-2009 by rattan1]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rattan1

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Sorry but not funny at all. People are losing their lives in those quakes. How would you feel if you had lost dear ones in an earthquake and people making jokes about it? Please show some respect to the victims

Oh true I didn't think about that. I just thought they were minor quakes.

My apologies.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

The Virgin Islands sit atop the Puerto Rico Trench, a subduction zone between the atlantic plate and the carribean plate. This area is prone to earthquakes caused by the movement of tectonic plates.

www.whoi.edu...

Hope this answers your query.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Just an update on the Afghan quake:

Dozens feared dead in Afghanistan quake

Two moderate earthquakes have hit eastern Afghanistan, with unconfirmed reports that 15 people have been killed and dozens of homes destroyed.
The US Geological Survey says a 5.5-magnitude quake struck the village of Mir Gadkhel just before dawn, followed by a 5.1-magnitude aftershock two hours later.

The quakes struck about 90 kilometres east of Kabul near the Pakistan border. Initial reports said as many as 40 people may have been killed, but a government spokesman says the quakes killed 15 people, injured 20 and destroyed 100 homes. In Mir Gadkhel, villagers said dozens had been killed.
"Three of my family members were killed and seven are injured," resident Gul Mohammad said.
"I think about 40 people have died. "Hundreds of houses have been destroyed," At one spot, a father wept by the bodies of a daughter and two sons. Nearby lay the bodies of a man and two women.
"I was sleeping when the earthquake happened," Amrullah, a small boy fighting tears, said. "We went out for a bit and went back into the house.
"Then there was another tremor which was very strong. "The roof came down and killed my brother and his two children." About 50 women in black scarves gathered on a road, wailing.
In Sar Kot, another village in the area, women gathered around the dead bodies of children, crying and slapping their heads in grief.
Farm animals were trapped under the rubble of homes, all built from mud brick.

My sympathy to the victims

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
There were 3 or 4 large ones yesterday around the Sandwich Islands (think that's where it was) 1 at 7.1 then 3 or so at 6.5. There's a definate increase of large earthquakes on the go.

top topics

join