It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog or Cat?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It has been widely disputed whether dogs or cats are the better choice when it comes to owning a pet. I've heard both sides back and forth.

What I want to know now, is what's your opinion?

Are you a fan of man's best friend?

Or are you more of a feline lover?

...Just for starters, I'll throw out there that I'm a dog person myself. I love that you can have fun with dogs, and I've never seen a person playing frisbee with their cat.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I personally love dogs also, I'll take them any day over a cat. You can do so much more with a dog than a cat, like playing fetch or running with them and many more.

Cats are cool but personally I don't like them that much.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Dog or Cat?

Neither! Both lick themselves clean, shed all over the place, smell like poo-poo or pee-pee, make just as much noise as kids and well, cost too much for food and medical care! That kinda sounds like raising a family.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I would vote for a cat, because dogs cannot be controlled if they get aggressive, while cats on the other hand, being small in size can be easily controlled just by lifting it off the ground, and it is fun to see it being scared of water. And moreover, cats look cute and adorable.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I would say dogs make better watch dogs. Who ever heard of a watch cat? No one ever sees a dog drag up a rat that might have destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of AC ducts had he got under your house. I think they both have a place of near equal value. A good dog probably rules though.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

My cats do not smell, they actually smell nice, cats are very clean animals.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I think cats are more independant than dogs, but I think its more about the person than the pet!! For me its dogs all the way.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Dog or Cat?
....smell like poo-poo or pee-pee, make just as much noise as kids and well, cost too much for food and medical care! That kinda sounds like raising a family.

Rubbish!

I own 3 cats and they are probably cleaner than most people are!

They eat little and I only have to supplement their diets because they're all such good hunters.

They're also incredibly healthy and don't require silly amounts for a vet.

I prefer cats...you don't need to "scoop" up behind them or risk sliding onto your butt and the p**.

Cats can be left alone for longer and don't require daily attention too.

Most important...they don't BARK constantly if you go out...just a gentle prrrrrrrrrrr most of the time!

There's also TOO much in-breeding by people who wish to profit from puppies, this leads to health problems due to a lack of genes in the "pool".

Cat's are more likely to do it in private rather than in a kennel or a park for everyone to see.

And dog-farts are FAR worse than cat-farts.

Dogs have masters....cats have slaves....who's the smarter of the two?

[edit on 17/4/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

And dog-farts are FAR worse than cat-farts.

From a 100 pound bulldog..I agree.
I have had almost every pet.
Rabbits, hamsters, dog, cats, fish, rats..and numerous aquarium things.
To date, I have just my kitties left.
Two black kitties ..Jinx and Murphy(murphy's law..haha)
and my son has a white kitty with two black spots on his back that we call Dice.
I love my kitties. They are independent, yet know when to show me affection, and Jinx will talk to me when I talk to him.
It's cute.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I love both but probably, since I've got one, I'd just about cast my vote for dogs.

Having said that I've had some great joy in life cuddling soft, affectionate little cats. When they love you, they really love you.

My dog, on the other hand, only wants to play and is usually only sweet when he wants something. Miserable little so-and-so. (To be fair, he is cute when he's sleepy).

As to their cleanliness, or lack of it, I think it's half the fun. I brought my dog home from his walk today absolutely caked in mud, but so happy. He'd been belting through the forest chasing a stick and jumping in puddles and he was practically glowing with happiness.

Could I put in a word here for small animals? Much as I love dogs and cats, my heart really belongs to the little ones (rodents).

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I have pretty much always had a dog and a cat at the same time. I say they both have their strong points. Dogs are usually more loyal friendly and just want to be around you.

Cat's seem to have their own personality more that dogs do. Cats let you know when they want attention. They'll come to you when they want affection and walk away when they are threw with you.
Leaves you feeling cheap and used.

I have to say I don't have a preference. Will likely always have both.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Dogs all the way

They love you all the time....certainly mans best friend

Cats are just pompous bastards....esepcially my girlfriends one. She's only friendly when she's hungry

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
hmmm i did ask my dog

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a27887294847.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The reason it's widely disputed is that different people want different things from their animals.

I've got 4 cats and 2 dogs all of which are indoor/outdoor at their convenience.

Dogs are much more needy than cats but cats don't require a lot of anything. Dogs will do things on command for you but cats normally won't until they're ready.

If you're a busy person, a cat is probably better. If you need utility from an animal, then dogs are better (although cats provide a great bug and critter deterrent) but you're going to pay for that utility through your time and money.

If all you want is love and companionship and lots of it, either are great. So I guess my answer is ... it depends.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by pikypiky

My cats do not smell, they actually smell nice, cats are very clean animals.

Agree with you 100%. Cats are very little trouble, very independent babies. Plus I was a puss in a previous life so I have to love em.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Go dogs...

Dogs for all the same reasons as stated by fellow members. There is just something about unconditional love from your dog.

I have never been a cat person or had any desire to get a cat.

Also...rats make awesome pets if you don't mind rodents.

& Don't forget to spay or neuter your friend.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nick_napalm
I personally love dogs also, I'll take them any day over a cat. You can do so much more with a dog than a cat, like playing fetch or running with them and many more.

Actually, my cat plays fetch, hide and seek & tag amongst others .....its endless fun

Oh and i don't have to take it for a walk, although it will follow me

pickle kitten:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0b4631dc070.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 19-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

[edit on 19-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I used to be a cat person 100% then I got my first dog as a pet in 2001 (Molly, my long hair Chihuahua, who was abandoned by her previous owners). Her sweetness, devotion, attachment, and protectiveness made me realize just how bratty and aloof my cats had been.

I do love them both equally but Molly is my baby while my cat is a little snot.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishneedh2o

Go dogs...

Dogs for all the same reasons as stated by fellow members. There is just something about unconditional love from your dog.

& Don't forget to spay or neuter your friend.

reply to post by AshleyD

Dogs are just the bestest!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980

Originally posted by nick_napalm

Actually, my cat plays fetch, hide and seek & tag amongst others .....its endless fun

Oh and i don't have to take it for a walk, although it will follow me

pickle kitten:

Haha I have to admit that my cats do these things too.

they LOVE if I hide behind a corner and pop my head to look at them, haha, man it amuses them so much, they always try talking to me when I do that.

They play fetch.

And they play tag when in the mood, when I run away from them they chase me, and then they run away from me and I have to chase them. (I probably look like the silliest guy in the world, but they really do play it and I admit it's damn funny lmao)

ps. anyone have a cat obsessed with going inside bags etc? My cat will jump and snuggle up in any bag he finds open, and loves it when I carry the bag around. If it's a backpack, I zip it up and close him in, and put the backpack on my back and walk around and he loves it. Strange cat.....

[edit on 19-4-2009 by _Phoenix_]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join